If you had the choice--DO or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If you had the choice to attend DO or MD you'd pick...

• DO--I only applied to DO programs because I prefer them over MD

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • DO--I applied to both but would prefer DO

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • MD--I applied to both but with DO as a "back-up"

Votes: 74 38.9%
  • I would compare other factors of the schools and not take DO/MD into consideration

Votes: 40 21.1%

• Total voters

doctorE2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to both MD and DO programs...just wanted to see what everyone's HONEST opinion was.

Members don't see this ad.

MD.

Just because it keeps more doors open for residency, etc. That's just the way the system is built right now. Sucks, but hey. I would go to DO school over the Caribbean, though, hands down.

I applied to both, though, and I should say I would have been very happy at DO school had that been my only acceptance. I would have gone, and embraced the educational philosophies--because I really do feel they're important.

I'm currently in an MD program and we don't get nearly the education in hands-on physical diagnosis that DOs seem to get, and I'm not just talking about OMM either. It's a lot of read this and read that (usually in Mosby or class notes), apply the information on a written test, but there are relatively few opportunities for real organized practice of the techniques with adequate faculty supervision...

doctorE2010 said:
I'm applying to both MD and DO programs...just wanted to see what everyone's HONEST opinion was.

At first, I was dead set on MD, but after learning about DO and meeting some, it was an easy choice: DO :thumbup: And yes, I had the option of going to a MD school.

tfp

Members don't see this ad :)
MD..only because its closer to home and about 20+K cheaper a year...

I love the DO school I've been accepted to. However: the school system isn't as good as the potential MD school I am in the 'possible acceptance' pool for. The housing around the DO school is MUCH more expensive. The job market for my husband around the DO school sucks and doesn't pay much. And the DO school is more expensive with no hope of in-state tuition (since it's private).

If I were independently wealthy I would love to go to the DO school. But I must take into consideration my family and their best interests as well as my own. I like both schools. I would *love* to learn OMM. I would :love: :love: to have OMM done on my poor hyperextension mobility syndromed joints. But the schedule of the MD school is more conducive to my family life, and the other reasons above demand I re-evaluate where I would truly go (if given the opportunity).

I should also say that after being accepted to the DO school, I withdrew from 5 MD schools I didn't like as well as the DO school. It's about more than the letters for me - it's about the school itself and my family.

mikeypo0 said:
MD..only because its closer to home and about 20+K cheaper a year...

Word to this post. I too would have been very happy attending CCOM. However, a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders knowing that I will a) be closer to friends and family, b) save about $25,000 per year, c) only have to study for USMLE, and d) only have to deal with/consider one match process, especially if i choose an uber competitive specialty.

I think that I really would have enjoyed the hands on training I would have received as a DO (palpatory diagnosis and some OMT, but not all). But, in the end my MD school is just a better fit than a DO school (from the location to the curriculum), and thats the most important thing to me. :thumbup:

misparas said:
I only applied to D.O. schools! I knew it was for me.

I applied to one M.D. school, and only because one of the doctors I shadowed made me (sadly he didn't pay the almost 200 bucks to do it!! :mad: ) However, after my friend made me aware of Osteopathic medicine, I was hooked. D.O. all the way! :horns: :horns:

There isn't a "I really dont care option"?

I applied to both. I am very interested in learning the techniques associated with being a DO. I think that my OMM courses will really help me to learn anatomy, and will make medical school a much more hands-on experience. I can see myself using OMM on my family and friends and maybe a little in practice.

The only reason that DO is my second choice behind my university is because of my experience as an undergraduate. I come from a large school with a great allo program (U Iowa). I have also been involved in research for 3 years. Here at U Iowa there are soo many resources. We have a lot of NIH-funded labs and there are so many more possibilities for research projects as a med student if you do a year fellowship or summer work. If you have a question about a certain topic in one of your courses, you can most likely find a Ph.D. who is an expert in the field and will talk with you about the subject. Something else that I take for granted is the free microsoft programs and free access to pubmed. They also set you up with insurance through the university and dont charge a 1000k deposit to hold your seat.

I know that there are some very good DO programs that have great research departments and all the stuff that I have mentioned, but it simply is not as widespread. I would love to see more DO programs focus on research and start contributing more to the scientific community. I think that they are beginning to head in the right direction, but it is definitely not the case right now. Nonetheless, I will still be happy attending a DO school because I know that I will receive a top-notch clinical education and be a great doctor.

EDIT: by the way, if all things were equal, I would be DO all the way :thumbup:

good point ..but DO schools dont get the crazy amount of funding that MD schools get...Just recently BCM..baylor college of medicine (yes i know..one of the top allo programs) received a 100 million dollar donation for research...just using it as an example....This is also why tuition is lower and why deposits are higher at DO schools...Another reason is that the government doesnt fund the schools either..its a problem of recognition and funding...I dont plan to do that much research in my medical career unless its clinical research so that aspect doesnt bother me much..

I'd want the MD title and the MD state school tuition, but the DO education

mikeypo0 said:
good point ..but DO schools dont get the crazy amount of funding that MD schools get...Just recently BCM..baylor college of medicine (yes i know..one of the top allo programs) received a 100 million dollar donation for research...just using it as an example....This is also why tuition is lower and why deposits are higher at DO schools...Another reason is that the government doesnt fund the schools either..its a problem of recognition and funding...I dont plan to do that much research in my medical career unless its clinical research so that aspect doesnt bother me much..
What about state schools like UMDNJ:SOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't give a crap.

Too bad the OP decided to start this thread. It shows that you did not search or that you have not been here long enough.

WARNING: In FUTURE IF SOMEONE STARTS THIS THREAD I WILL FLAME THEM.

docbill said:

Too bad the OP decided to start this thread. It shows that you did not search or that you have not been here long enough.

yes, this has been discussed A LOT

Funding and exposure are the main reasons I say MD...I am blessed to be from a state with a top notch allopathic school (Iowa) and osteopathic school (DMU). The main differences that I see are as follows...Iowa has millions and millions of dollars more than DMU, they have their own hospital and clinic system where DMU mainly uses the Des Moines hospitals for clinical rotations (which if you want as a student at Carver you could also do rotations at). The exposure and teaching you get at an academic medical center like Iowa far outweighs what DMU can offer without a large hospital of their own. Secondly, the AOA boosts that close to 60% of osteo grads enter allo residencies...if this is the case why not save myself the trouble and just start off in an allo program, make allo contacts and then deal with only one match. Lastly, in-state tuition...even with heavy scholarships at DMU, which who knows if I would actually get...the University of Iowa is cheaper, the class itself is smaller and thus for every penny I might have to spend Iowa has to be my pick between what I see as two very good medical schools. The fact is at least in Iowa, DMU has no chance of eclipsing the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine...and because anymore people claim the educations are so similar there is no real incentive to pick DMU over Carver in my eyes...just a though from the md leaning perspective

docbill said:

Bitter, are we?

:thumbdown:

OSUdoc

As kindly as possible. I will tell you to go and Pluck Your feathers.

docbill said:
OSUdoc

As kindly as possible. I will tell you to go and Pluck Your feathers.

:confused:

Canadians are odd.

Well, I don't want to get involved in a DO vs MD thing-but I'd like to point out that it is a valid question to think about which degree you'd prefer to get, although I don't know that doing a poll is that useful. At any rate, its not the poll itself that starts the problem, but the way that people overreact to it. It seemed like DocBill overreacted a little bit, thats all.

OSUdoc08 said:
:confused:

Canadians are odd.

Ohhh that was good.. ohhh aahhh that was good. Did you come up with that all by yourself. Or did you have a team of writers to help you out with that. Ohhhh Wow that was great. What a burn!!! oHhh Wow.. you got me good. Ohhh my ribs are hurting from laughing.. auhhhh woow.. you are good. Ohhh jeeezzz I did not even see that one coming. WOW. My eyes are watery.. that was so funny.

I am weird.. wow. What a surprise. NO Shirly ****elock

Now. In case you did not get it. GO BACK to my previous post.

take the PL = F
take Your Feathers = Yourself.

Now.. what does that read smart alex.

docbill said:
Ohhh that was good.. ohhh aahhh that was good. Did you come up with that all by yourself. Or did you have a team of writers to help you out with that. Ohhhh Wow that was great. What a burn!!! oHhh Wow.. you got me good. Ohhh my ribs are hurting from laughing.. auhhhh woow.. you are good. Ohhh jeeezzz I did not even see that one coming. WOW. My eyes are watery.. that was so funny.

take the PL = F

Niiiiiiice! :D :thumbup:

Canadians ROCK!
If one really cares about the alphabet soup after their name then they obviously NEEEEEED the MD. Bollox to all who come up with the same lame excuses for "choosing" MD over DO (even as ooooh I dare say "back up") like easier to get residencies (BS), more accepted (BS), my mommy made me do it (BS). No one is holding a gun to your forehead and saying MD or die!. My clinical this past summer at the University of North Carolina, Chape Hill (go Tarheels!) as a Physical Therapy student exposed me to one of the most prestigious medical institutions in the country. On the Rehab floor 2 of the 4 residents in PM&R were DO's. And they were among the most highly respected residents out of the bunch. Hell, the MD residents were getting some free OMT from the DO's on many occassions. One of my fav MD residents came up to me and said she was excited to hear that I was choosing to go the DO route. I saw more DO's at UNC Chapel Hill in 2 months time that it made me proud I was pursuing that degree and profession. Bottom line though, we're all going to be physicians.
Oooookay, off the soap box now. Cheers,
-Steve ;)

scpod said:
Hey! Why the bad talk about Canadians? When we needed help in Iraq they sent their boat AND their helicopter ;)

Hey, as the 51st state, Canadians should be respected as all Americans are. Oh ****..wait....

docbill said:

take the PL = F

Have you been drinking?

wow.....

Jamers said:
Hey, as the 51st state, Canadians should be respected as all Americans are. Oh ****..wait....
Was listening to Howard on Sirius this morning, and he referred to Canada as "Camerica". :laugh:

PlasticMan said:
Was listening to Howard on Sirius this morning, and he referred to Canada as "Camerica". :laugh:

hahahaha! When I went overseas, I told them that Canada belonged to America, they just didn't know it yet :thumbup: :laugh:

Jamers said:
hahahaha! When I went overseas, I told them that Canada belonged to America, they just didn't know it yet :thumbup: :laugh:
As Homer simpson once said, "Why leave America to visit America Jr.?" :laugh:

It's funny how this thread has evolved into a Canadian joke thread, eh? :smuggrin:

PlasticMan said:
As Homer simpson once said, "Why leave America to visit America Jr.?" :laugh:

It's funny how this thread has evolved into a Canadian joke thread, eh? :smuggrin:

Or as Family Guy says, "nothing like them freeloading Canadians..." (pause) "What CANADA SUCKS!"

sure took it away from "if you where a DO would you wish you where an MD" cry me river thread.

BTW.. OSUdoc.. NO I was not drunk. I wish I was. Then you would of looked much more attractive.

scpod said:
Hey! Why the bad talk about Canadians? When we needed help in Iraq they sent their boat AND their helicopter ;)

The helicopter crashed off the cost of denmark... so we sold the boat.

BTW... When US had to leave from Afganistan... guess who is sitting there now. The main reason is we don't have a plane or boat left to bring the troups back. Shiat Happens.

Well Well..sounds like a few of you are not happy with your next door neighbours.

Who would you rather have? 2 Mexico's, or Russia or China on you borders. Or would you prefer to have a Middle east Country right next door?

Its all fun and games till someone pockes an eye out.

Canada is an awesome country. Having been born and raised in the States, I love the luxuries available to us. However, having traveled around the world, I disagree with much of our foreign policy and damn censorship in the media (take the Sadaam trial for example), which leaves our well-intentioned citizens ill-informed and ignorant. If it weren't for the cold weather and the fact that physicians don't make crap in Canada, it would be a cool place to live.

docbill said:
Well Well..sounds like a few of you are not happy with your next door neighbours.

Who would you rather have? 2 Mexico's, or Russia or China on you borders. Or would you prefer to have a Middle east Country right next door?

Its all fun and games till someone pockes an eye out.

Oh I never said I didn't like Canada! Hell, I pretened to be Canadian in Australia because it saved me on explaining why we elected Bushman, again. I would much rather prefer two Canadas!! Hell, longest undefended boarder in U.S. history has to mean some good things! But, I do not like the, as you so well put it, cry me a river thread about D.O. Vs M.D. so any chance to get away from that is a plus. Here, Ill make fun of Pennsylvania, where I live: we have more hicks and cows then people who can read (yes I can use the phrase hick for I am one) :laugh:

the posts by stewie are fantastic

one major prob w/ this poll....you've got people in the pre-md forum voting (or as I like to call it...the "If I don't get a 4.0 and get into Harvard my life is over forum"...jk jk) and people from the pre-do forum....responses are likely scewed in both directions bc of that.....

Jamers said:
Oh I never said I didn't like Canada! Hell, I pretened to be Canadian in Australia because it saved me on explaining why we elected Bushman, again. I would much rather prefer two Canadas!! Hell, longest undefended boarder in U.S. history has to mean some good things! But, I do not like the, as you so well put it, cry me a river thread about D.O. Vs M.D. so any chance to get away from that is a plus. Here, Ill make fun of Pennsylvania, where I live: we have more hicks and cows then people who can read (yes I can use the phrase hick for I am one) :laugh:
I also like Canada or as I call it "North Mexico". :laugh: I've had several trips to Montreal and Toronto and found both cities great! I'm sure I will visit again.

Haha, Im sorry. All I can think of right now is:

Sheila: Well, blame Canada
Everyone: Blame Canada
Sheila: It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada
Copy Guy: They're not even a real country anyway

-South Park (The Movie)

laboholic said:

Since Canada came along
Blame Canada

-South Park (The Movie)

isn't this the equivalent to country bullying? :confused:

laboholic said:

Since Canada came along
Blame Canada

-South Park (The Movie)
Haha.....You will be the all important first defense wave, which we will call "Operation Human Shield".

docbill said:

I agree that this is discussed a lot, but it is kind of neat to see a blind poll.

I realize that the MD/DO controversy is prevalent in these forums...I'm by no means trying to start a flame war or insinuate that one is better/worse than the other. I happen to be one of those people (along with many others apparently) trying to decide which career path would ultimately benefit me the most. I'm sorry if any of you are sick of this issue, maybe you shouldn't waste your time on this thread. However, I'm sure there are others like myself who are curious about this issue (see number of people responding to poll and reading thread...apparently there are people who care.) It is possible to have a civilized/ rational conversation about DO/MD...at least I thought it was...

doctorE2010 said:
I realize that the MD/DO controversy is prevalent in these forums...I'm by no means trying to start a flame war or insinuate that one is better/worse than the other. I happen to be one of those people (along with many others apparently) trying to decide which career path would ultimately benefit me the most. I'm sorry if any of you are sick of this issue, maybe you shouldn't waste your time on this thread. However, I'm sure there are others like myself who are curious about this issue (see number of people responding to poll and reading thread...apparently there are people who care.) It is possible to have a civilized/ rational conversation about DO/MD...at least I thought it was...

Someone please insert Canada joke here ____

Jamers said:
Someone please insert Canada joke here ____

Two Canadians walk into a bar.

They try the US beer...and they find it weak... so they go backto a Candian 5.5% alcohol beer. hehehehahahaha ssooooooooo gooood

docbill said:
Two Canadians walk into a bar.

They try the US beer...and they find it weak... so they go backto a Candian 5.5% alcohol beer. hehehehahahaha ssooooooooo gooood

What kind of poor american beer are you drinking?

I got into KCOM (DO) and University of Texas San Antonio Medical school (MD). I am choosing San Antonio because of location and the face that I am saving over 120,000 dollars over the four years, because I am a Texas resident, but I would have liked to go to KCOM, my dad, uncle, and grandpa all went there, but it was a lot cheaper then. As far as philosophy, DO's are the best in my opinion, hands down, I am going to incorporate as much of my osteopathic family tradition into my practice.

docbill said:
BTW... When US had to leave from Afganistan... guess who is sitting there now. The main reason is we don't have a plane or boat left to bring the troups back. Shiat Happens.

foolish