If you had the opportunity to cure one disease...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ooglyboogly

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had the opportunity to cure one disease, what would it be? And don’t forget to mention why.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aging. But that's not a disease.

In that case, can I invent a disease?

Last edited:
Can you generalize "cancer" as a single disease, or can you only cure certain forms?

edit: cold or flu because it pisses me off multiple times during the winter.

Can you generalize "cancer" as a single disease, or can you only cure certain forms?

No, you have to pick a special kind. You can cure certain types of Cancer but you can't cure Cancer(it's too general) as a whole.

Autism. I've known several individuals throughout my life who have suffered from this disease. It has become so prevalent that 1 in 150 children now have it.

Osteoarthritis because it's the most common debilitating ailment and the nation's most epensive health problem... anyway I'd rather have a potentially fatal disease than a non-lifethreatening disease that ruins my life.

If you had the opportunity to cure one disease, what would it be? And don’t forget to mention why.

Dementia. Very prevalent in the elderly population. Extremely scary disease, because no one is 100% sure what predisposes you to dementia. Tragic disease, too - it's sad to see an elderly person who is in otherwise excellent physical health, but can't even recognize his own wife or kids.

(I've heard of patients with dementia who have poor short-term memory...so they can't remember that their spouse died a few years ago. Every time someone has to remind them that their spouse is dead, it's a fresh new shock each time, and they grieve all over again. :()

heart disease - duh!

does the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people.

also, then i could have chocolate chip cookies and cherry garcia ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day!

I'd cure diabetes, so ^this guy won't die a blind double amputee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever Hillary Clinton has that keeps her in the race.

Obesity. Don't know if it counts, but curing it (I mean with a magic pill, not diet and exercise or even surgery which is too invasive for some) would help lots of other issues.

By "cure" do you mean develop a cure for, regardless of cost, or simply remove from existence. Because lots of disease have cures that many people can't afford, like malaria.

Borderline Personality Disorder. I'm tired of it.

heart disease

or cellular apathy due to aging :(

heart disease - duh!

does the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people.

also, then i could have chocolate chip cookies and cherry garcia ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day!

there is your "cure" for heart disease. STOP eating like crap and get some exercise. heart disease doesnt need a cure. we already know how to prevent it and reverse it once it has developed.

75% of the world is heart disease-free.

same goes for things like diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis...even dementia!! its amazing how much the food you eat impacts your life.

Heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, and dementia can manifest regardless of diet.

Diseases that can be linked with food are not always linked with food.

there is your "cure" for heart disease. STOP eating like crap and get some exercise. heart disease doesnt need a cure. we already know how to prevent it and reverse it once it has developed.

same goes for things like diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis...even dementia!! its amazing how much the food you eat impacts your life.

Good luck convincing a nation of fast-food-lovers (myself included, that stuff is amazing!) to stop eating. Clearly it DOESN'T WORK!!

The reality is that exponentially more people die from preventable diseases (ie heart disease, cancer caused by tobacco) than they do from unpreventable diseases (ie genetic diseases like Huntington's, aneurysms, stomach cancer, etc.). If you want to save more people, cure a diseases like heart disease or lung cancer. I'd rather be able to eat what I want (especially when I'm older and no longer looking quite as sexy) and not have to worry about heart diseases.

I guess you really can't go wrong either way, it would be nice to prevent aneurysms (randomly dropping dead would suck) or prostate cancer though.

A lot of people die from stupidity too. Too bad its not classified as a disease...

Rather than eliminate one disease by wishing it away I wish we could just understand how stem cells work, Then we would have insight to how cancer developes and simultaeneously be able to regrow tissue, bye bye paraplegia, bye bye organ transplants bye bye silicone/saline breast inplants

I'd cure diabetes, so ^this guy won't die a blind double amputee.

touche! lol

kind of a semi-joke there, in case it was missed. i guess sarcasm doesn't register well in print...

Autism. I've known several individuals throughout my life who have suffered from this disease. It has become so prevalent that 1 in 150 children now have it.

The 1 in 150 has to be on the softest lines of diagnosis. I know that's the stat that is claimed, but I have NEVER encountered somebody with autism. I suppose it's most prevalent in the children's population, but I would still think that I would have run into at least one person with it if it were that prevalent.

Anyways, I'd go with diabetes because it can lead to so many other problems, most notably for me, chronic kidney disease.

Definitely Parkinson's Disease for me. There are tons of illnesses out there that would be great to cure, but I don't think ever I've seen patients that suffer the same mental/emotional anguish in addition to the physical problems as some of the Parkinson's patients I've seen.

Anorexia/eating disorders in general if i could be that general. Anorexia is the most deadly psychiatric condition. Originally i was thinking i'd pick depression, but then realized that that's mainly for my own selfish gain, and that is already more controlable than eating disorders.

Neuroblastoma- it is just a horrible form of cancer and I have seen a lot of kids who have it earn their wings- it isn't super uncommon but the survival rates are still not as high as cancers like ALL.

Alzheimer's Disease. I've encountered it a lot in stories, movies, books and with people. It's really sad. It's like a long goodbye...even sort of losing someone before he/she dies. Even before this thread, one of my craziest dreams is to find out how to cure Alzheimer's disease. I hope it comes true... :) If not me, someone else.

Alzheimer's also. It's terrible to see family members' minds debilitated once they get older due to Alzheimer's. Also, I would hate to get it myself when I'm older; my mind is the one thing I've always been able to rely on. I'd like it to stay in tact.

Muscular Dystrophy because it afflicts young children who die way too young

Definitely Parkinson's Disease for me. There are tons of illnesses out there that would be great to cure, but I don't think ever I've seen patients that suffer the same mental/emotional anguish in addition to the physical problems as some of the Parkinson's patients I've seen.

I wholeheartedly second this post. My grandfather suffered from Parkinson's the last 12 years of his life, and it is truly more horrible for the person than most anyone realizes. I would never wish this on even my worst enemy.

Poverty. Cuz being poor blows.

Not to mention it is the gateway for many other diseases including diabetes, malnutrition, morbid obesity, cardiovascular problems etc etc.

Alzheimer's Disease, hands down.

I'd rather die clear headed then forget everyone I have ever met.

Schizophrenia, because it tends to strike people right in their prime and last for a lifetime, as opposed to so many other diseases that come up in old age and are merely a cause of death. The elderly have to die of something...

This would have a huge impact, but we already know how to eradicate it. Of course, we can't use DDT though, because that would thin out those bald eagle eggs.

I'd cure obesity.

Pesticide treated nets don't eradicate, they just cut down # of infections by half. So, instead, only 150 million-250 million will be infected. A cure is needed.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Pesticide treated nets don't eradicate, they just cut down # of infections by half. So, instead, only 150 million-250 million will be infected. A cure is needed.

But isn't the reason why there are so many cases because of poor environmental sanitation and lack of public awareness? Just sounds like the cure would be more of a socio-economic one than then a pill of some sort. I'm no an expert on this though...