If you had to choose between ICOM ACOM & WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enantiomer221

Reaction score
Which would you choose and why? Feel free to post any pros or cons about either schools.

I felt ICOM was very impressive and despite being brand new, felt like they will offfer a solid program.
ACOM was great too but atmosphere wasn’t that great during my visit. Solid clinical years though. The location isn’t ideal for me either. I know many say to not put too much emphasis on location because of lack of time for Luxuries, but I find it important to be happy at where I am located.

Members don't see this ad.

WVSOM is a well established school with an amazing atmosphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
ICOM seems like a great program but all 3 are great choices!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just an applicant too, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

In terms of DO school, things like pedigree matter somewhat less. To a certain extent, all DO schools are going to be viewed the same (that is, less competitively). So where for an MD applicant choosing between MD schools, the pedigree of their school may matter a bit more, I think when choosing a DO school, it is more appropriate to strongly consider things like location or finances, as well as things like opportunities for research (which is generally a given at MD institutions).

From what you wrote, I'm getting the sense you liked ICOM a lot. I think your gut is trying to tell you something, and in my personal opinion, you should trust your gut if you genuinely got such a good feeling about the school.

Some downsides to ICOM that you should consider:
  1. No federal loans for your first year (at least). The school seems on top of it, so I would be surprised if you don't get federal aid after the first year. But for at least your first year, they won't be available. This means less repayment options for that portion of your debt, and if you have federal undergrad loans, they will not go into automatic deferment with private loans. You will likely be able to apply to make no payments on undergrad loans, but it's still something to consider.
  2. Given that this is a brand new school, they are still getting their research up and running. They do seem quite serious about making a solid research program for their students, but you will still have to strive harder to make those kind of opportunities happen and to publish. If you're interested in research, or in more competitive specialties for which research and publishing will be expected for residency applications, you will need to expect to do some leg work to make sure you get these things done. That said, the faculty seems so supportive, I would be very surprised if you didn't get enough support on seeking these kind of opportunities out should you show interest and dedication.
  3. As a brand new school, ICOM has literally zero reputation to stand on. You will be one of the students who give the school its reputation. You will only get into a residency based on your own merit.
Some upsides to ICOM that you should consider:
  1. Location. Boise/Meridian is a great area, and if you're interested in living in a more urban area, this is something to consider. Lots of other DO schools are in very rural areas, which is great if that's what you want, but not so much if you're not into it. Additionally, the local community is welcoming ICOM with open arms, which bodes quite well for things like clinical rotations and the school's budding residency programs.
  2. As a brand new school, you will have a lot of impact on your education. If you and your classmates want something to change, the administration (who seems very receptive anyway) will be much more likely to listen to you. You will also get a lot of individual attention you may not get elsewhere.
  3. As a brand new school, ICOM has a lot to prove. They NEED you to be successful, and you will not be allowed to slip through the cracks. You can also already tell how invested the school is in their students' success.
  4. You liked it, and you felt good there. This matters more than you think. Sometimes we need to trust our intuition about what would be a good fit for us. The journey to getting where you want to go matters too, and you're more likely to be successful and happy with your decision to attend medical school if you're in an environment you enjoy and feel good in.
I hope this was helpful! I'm not trying to specifically talk you into ICOM, but based on your very short post about the schools, it definitely seemed like the one you were most excited about!

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely trust your gut if you feel a few programs are on equal balance, because if you are happy, then it will help you during the difficult times. Also, I've heard great things about WVSOM!

Reactions: 1 users