If you had to do pharmacy school all over again would you choose your current?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why or Why not? This is not a POST ABOUT WHY NSU SUCK OR WHY IT DOESN"T SUCK. Just Type your school and why you would or wouldn't choose it again if you had the chance.

I'm currently at NSU and I would not choose NSU again if I had the chance. My reasons come from a quite a few aspects.

Academic: Generally Modestly Competent at best. I mean I just don't think people should freaking memorize old test and have like 20-50% of new test with old test materials. I think quite a few of the professors are just down right lazy. Biochem in the whole school is just really ******ed and really has too many old questions from old tests. Microbio is a waste as the presentation of the material doesn't really facilitate any real retention or anything. There is too many filler classes that shouldn't be there, or at least i feel so. Now there are quite a few good faculties though, actually the good ones are damn good but the bad are so ****ing bad. Generally the therapeutics section of the school are pretty legit but I still feel like the test are a bit too easy. The main problem is many of experienced good faculty are leaving because NSU is such a cheap ass and pay them way below normal salary. The dean is also very incompetent....

Administration: ****ing worst I ever seen. They're so god damn unorganized with people not knowing their job. Too many of them just sit there to look pretty and not do much to help the students. Don't get me wrong there are good ones but they're rare.

Student Profile: Mix lot, you obviously get a bunch of C=PharmD kids but usually 20-40% of kids actually there to learn. There is always a few that are straight up dumb and I'm surprised they passed undergrad. The first day of P1 year, I asked someone whats the chemical structure of ethanol, they had no idea in the world what I was talking about.

I might be harsh on what I said but generally i'm not very satisfied from education here at nova. If it wasn't for the people I meet here, I really think I would of transfer some other school. My sentiment is my own but rest assure that a good bit of my friends feel this way as well. Not everyone dislike NSU though, plenty do actually like it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm satisfied with my education so far, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably save myself thousands of dollars and not go to a private university. I must be crazy spending all this money on an education when there are other schools that are half the price.

Of Course! As A Practicing Rph couldn't of done without my Alma Mater!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, going to Touro right now. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken the offer from St. John's pharmacy school when I was in high school. Even got a scholarship from St. John's but I turned it down for LIU. Ended up not getting into LIU's pro phase, spending an extra year, and managed to find my way into Touro. Would have graduated this past May if I had gone to St. Johns.

Why or Why not? This is not a POST ABOUT WHY NSU SUCK OR WHY IT DOESN"T SUCK. Just Type your school and why you would or wouldn't choose it again if you had the chance.

I'm currently at NSU and I would not choose NSU again if I had the chance. My reasons come from a quite a few aspects.

Academic: Generally Modestly Competent at best. I mean I just don't think people should freaking memorize old test and have like 20-50% of new test with old test materials. I think quite a few of the professors are just down right lazy. Biochem in the whole school is just really ******ed and really has too many old questions from old tests. Microbio is a waste as the presentation of the material doesn't really facilitate any real retention or anything. There is too many filler classes that shouldn't be there, or at least i feel so. Now there are quite a few good faculties though, actually the good ones are damn good but the bad are so ****ing bad. Generally the therapeutics section of the school are pretty legit but I still feel like the test are a bit too easy. The main problem is many of experienced good faculty are leaving because NSU is such a cheap ass and pay them way below normal salary. The dean is also very incompetent....

Administration: ****ing worst I ever seen. They're so god damn unorganized with people not knowing their job. Too many of them just sit there to look pretty and not do much to help the students. Don't get me wrong there are good ones but they're rare.

Student Profile: Mix lot, you obviously get a bunch of C=PharmD kids but usually 20-40% of kids actually there to learn. There is always a few that are straight up dumb and I'm surprised they passed undergrad. The first day of P1 year, I asked someone whats the chemical structure of ethanol, they had no idea in the world what I was talking about.

I might be harsh on what I said but generally i'm not very satisfied from education here at nova. If it wasn't for the people I meet here, I really think I would of transfer some other school. My sentiment is my own but rest assure that a good bit of my friends feel this way as well. Not everyone dislike NSU though, plenty do actually like it.

I definitely would choose my school again, I got a top notch education and was well prepared to enter the work-force and Board were a breeze.
I'm sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with your choice, hopefully NSU gets their act together, the seems to be the theme with that school. I don't understand why they can't get more competent profs with all the money they are racking in from tuition alone. That school ain't cheap.

I would choose my school again in a heartbeat. Sorry to hear things are so rough for you, I have heard the same or similar thing from other Nova students IRL. Sad. :(

I asked someone whats the chemical structure of ethanol
lol what :laugh:.

They must have been naming with the PCAT. It's kind of sad, reminds me of my analytical chem class where people forget about molarity ahahah.

Going to LIU. Had I known I wanted pharmacy earlier I would have went to St Johns.

I wish I made it into mcphs boston, it's really big. But 2.7 to get a pharmD might be overdoing it.

PCOM would have been a better choice for me, but LIU was more convenient for me since I live closer.

I am not sure...sometimes I wonder if I missed out on anything by not choosing UMN. As far as curriculum goes, though, I am extremely happy with UofA. We have some of the most "progressive" curricula out there and amazing profs who challenge and engage us. Our affiliation with the med, public health, and nursing school makes it even better. So far, it seems we have awesome rotation sites. I asked some 4th years if they felt prepared and they said they did.

Are all of you guys being serious... So far it seems everyone of you are satisfied with what you choose. I just find that hard to believe.

Also there isn't much explantation as to why you think your institution is great or not.

Are all of you guys being serious... So far it seems everyone of you are satisfied with what you choose. I just find that hard to believe.

Also there isn't much explantation as to why you think your institution is great or not.

Why? The grass may be greener on the other side, but why would you expect more people to be unhappy with their choice?

The question is not about how great your institution is, it's if you are happy with your choice. I am. Low tuition, good reputation, and my experience has been positive.

Went to Ohio State. Would highly recommend it.

Pro:
1. One of the top 5 ranked schools with excellent and famous facility on staff.
2. Huge OSU medical center and other hospitals near by, lots of internship/networking opportunies. Huge help for career and residency.
3. Can convert to instate tuition, around $17k/yr, after first year.
4. Don't need to by any books, all materials are ppt or packets.
5. Cheat living, $500-600 a month will get you a decent 1 bedroom within walking distance of cop.
6. The cop office is very responsive to student needs (unlike u of Michigan)

Con:
1. Old building and class room. Sometimes ac will break down, your butt will hurt from the old hard chairs, you will know the number ceiling tiles in the same 2 lecture hall before too long.
2. A 4 year undergrad degree is required and lots of students are very competitive. but this can be a pro.
3. Ohioans are crazy football fans. Change your Michigan license plate fast, and expect riots and couch burning after games.
4. Parking on and around campus is a nightmare. Get rent an apartment within walking distance and skip the $600 parking permit that you can't find a spot after 9 am anyway.