If you have a C in a class is it extremely important to retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireandIce128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have C's or C+'s in a few classes is it really important to retake it even if you managed to maintain a good (or fantastic) GPA? (Especially if it's a prereq class?)

Would it be better if you showed an upward trend throughout your years of undergrad? I know that if you retake classes your grade will just be factored in to your previous ones anyway so dental schools would know anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

A guy from Case told me a retake means nothing and to just show you learned from it in your future classes. This may not be true for every school but I've heard a lot of people have had experiences similar to mine when speaking to adcom's about this.

Reactions: 1 user
From my readings here, do not retake, instead, tske upper level class and do better thsn what you got in lower level class. That shows more than repeating a same course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the grade and school. I have shown the upward trend through upper level and graduate coursework, but my C- in organic chemistry 1 will not be accepted by a lot of schools. Many schools have a strict C or higher requirement for all prerequisites that must be completed before matriculation.

I got C+ in Gen Chem 1 and never retook it, and only took a biochemistry class (one semester) if that counts as an upper chem class.
Nonetheless, I have got four interview invites so far, and I think it's because I got a decent score of Gen Chem section on DAT.
It might be a minus for acceptance, or maybe not, but at least it didn't prevent me from getting invited for interviews.
A friend of mine, who's currently at one of the Ivy dental schools, also got C in her Orgo 1. She never retook it, but she still got in.

I don't think it's absolutely important to retake it, but just show your ability and understanding of the course with good grades in
an upper course or DAT. Some schools do have a minimum grade requirement (like at least C in prereq courses), but if you did great
in other advanced courses, I think it's enough to show your capability.

I'm considering retaking Anatomy I since it deals with the entire head. I got a C a couple years ago and my GPA could use the A I could get from retaking it. Thoughts?

I'm considering retaking Anatomy I since it deals with the entire head. I got a C a couple years ago and my GPA could use the A I could get from retaking it. Thoughts?

Nah. Not worth retaking. Especially since A+C=B.

Well, what about a C in an upper division bio class that's not a prereq but recommended by the dental schools? Like Biochem, advanced physiology, cell bio, etc.

Well, what about a C in an upper division bio class that's not a prereq but recommended by the dental schools? Like Biochem, advanced physiology, cell bio, etc.

Are we talking one C or a whole slew? If you've got many, you've got bigger problems than worrying about retaking those, and I'd question the ability to pull off the A. Retaking and not pulling the A looks bad. My opinion, is that you move on from everything that isn't a fail.

Are we talking one C or a whole slew? If you've got many, you've got bigger problems than worrying about retaking those, and I'd question the ability to pull off the A. Retaking and not pulling the A looks bad. My opinion, is that you move on from everything that isn't a fail.

One or 2 C's. I had a few friends that retook and got B's and even the same grade.
Personally, I withdrew from physiology because my course load was way too heavy and I got my ass handed to me (big no no for me). I retook it a year later but I got a C+. So I'm unsure if I should retake it.. but I'm a post bac student at a different school now so I don't know what to really do regarding that C +.