1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

If you have a number one choice for d-school..

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ElectraOnAzalea, Apr 15, 2007.

1. ElectraOnAzalea

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you have a number one d-school choice does it help to call the school and let them know how interested you are/ask them what you could do to be more competitive or this too much/annoying to the adcom? Should you just apply and cross your fingers?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

I think first and foremost, your competitive edge will be an excellent GPA and high DAT scores and other application necessities (outstanding LORs, extracurriculars, etc.). Unless you or your family will build them a dental wing/library, or you do some prize winning research at that dental school, I do not think letting them know your interest prior to an interview is going to help you. You would be no different than most of your fellow applicants.

4. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Check the stats of the school before calling, just so that you can have your research understood. Call and ask any questions you may like. Next, do like did, set up a pre-interview with the school admissions advisor, deans, etc. just so that that can put a name with a face. Next step... apply, and if you did a great job such as myself, then you're golden.

Marion

5. diane07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Once in the interview, you could tell them it's your #1 choice.

But to get that interview, you need decent stats/good application.

Emails, letters, calls . . . telling them how badly you want to be accepted . . . probably isn't the factor that helps you get an interview.

6. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Maybe send a letter of intent, after you send in your application.

7. awalke12

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I did something similar to this. After I was accepted at USC I wrote a letter to Colorado explaining how I had been accepted to another program and needed to make a decision soon with the upcoming deposit deadline. I mentioned how CU was my first choice and listed reasons why I desired to attend their program.

Two days later I got a call from Colorado saying I had been accepted.

8. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Absolutely I think in a lot of cases this helps you. I am from NY state, but wanted to go to VCU because I did my grad work there (moved back to NY after) and that is where my husband has more job opportunities. I contacted VCU in April of last year, before the app. cycle started and expressed my interest and desire to attend VCU as my first choice. They responded enthusiastically. I asked how I could improve, figuring I would be told raise your DAT or get more experience observing (I had about 80 hrs), but no... they said everything looked good and I was accepted December 1. I really think it did help me as an out of stater to express my interest in their program, but maybe primarily because I did it before the application cycle started. If you do it after, it may seem like a last ditch, or butt kissing effort. Good luck. Oh, and I did this via e-mail.

9. dentofalltrades

dentofalltrades USC C/O 2009
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Great choice!

10. dentofalltrades

dentofalltrades USC C/O 2009
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Honestly, I always thought that would come across as potentially annoying, seeing that dental schools have 1000+ applicants trying to do the same thing. I sat back and waited for schools to contact me, and I got 5 interviews when I applied. If your approach worked, then congratulations. Out of curiosity, what dental school did you get into?

11. diane07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Maybe it did work for some . . .

But those people probably had decent stats and a good application too.

Emails, letters, phone calls - are useless unless you're a competitive applicant to begin with.

But go ahead and contact the school if you think it will help.

12. awalke12

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes, statistics are very important, but expressing interest in a specific school cannot hurt your chances. If anything, it shows your dedication and desire to attend there which is usually well received.

13. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

Did they ask you for specific information at the time of your phone call? In other words, did they start a file on you at that time so they could identify you later in the application process?

It also sounds like you received a degree at that school. I am sure that was a factor in your favor. For the person who is applying to a school which he or she has had no prior connection, I am skeptical that a phone call helps prior to an interview.

14. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Of course I'm sure the grad degree helped, but I emailed them so they had documentation to look back at. I wasn't certain at first about doing this either, but they seemed very happy that I was so interested in their school. We corresponded for a while. That is why I think if someone is going to do this, pre app. cycle is the time. I fear you will otherwise be lost in the crowd.