If you have any Texas Tech EM program questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kansas83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a PGY1 EM at Texas Tech in El Paso. Seeing everyone during interviews this year reminded me how crazy and stressful interview season can be, and how hard it was to make a decision regarding programs based on the short time I was there to visit. If anyone has questions about the TT program or El Paso, I'm here to answer. I'm doing Opthalmology this month so I have plenty of free time!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the offer friend.

I am an IMG who have applied for the program, and am very keen on joining it.
Being in TX for last 4 years, I am very much acquainted to the place, and am still waiting to hear from the program.

I do have a few questions about the program, Do you mind if I could PM you?

Thanks again

Peace

Hey everyone. I am a PGY1 EM at Texas Tech in El Paso. Seeing everyone during interviews this year reminded me how crazy and stressful interview season can be, and how hard it was to make a decision regarding programs based on the short time I was there to visit. If anyone has questions about the TT program or El Paso, I'm here to answer. I'm doing Opthalmology this month so I have plenty of free time!:)
Is there any chance we could talk you into writing a review of TT? No one has written one for a few years.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=768752

Members don't see this ad :)
Private messages are always welcome. However, if your question isn't too personal, it might benefit other members by posting it in the thread. I also wrote an updated review of the program that can be found at the link in the post above. I hope its helpful to all those considering interviewing/ranking TT.

Last edited:
Private messages are always welcome. However, if your question isn't too personal, it might benefit other members by posting it in the thread. I also wrote an updated review of the program that can be found at the link in the post above. I hope its helpful to all those considering interviewing/ranking TT.
Thanks a lot for doing that. :thumbup:

hello. i have an interview invite from texas tech. is it a major inconvience not speaking spanish being so close to border? also, is the program very DO friendly? thanks.

The program is very DO friendly. Our current intern class has 4 DO's.
It can be inconvenient not speaking fluent spanish since ~70% are spanish only, but as I've been here, I've picked up the phrases I need to say and I can do most things on my own. Some of the interns had spanish in college or HS which made it easier to pick up again. That being said, I believe about 20% of the 70 do speak some english, they're just afraid they don't speak it well enough, just as I might say I only speak english if I were to go to a hospital in Mexico. Every patient I've interacted with has been very helpful and some even help me with phrases I've butchered. Most of them know numbers in english, which I have a problem with for some reason. I took latin in HS and so was at a real disadvantage. Its only when I need to explain a procedure in detail, or need to answer a complex question does it become necessary to get a translator. In the ED, the nurses are frequently in the room and its pretty easy to get them to translate. I've never had to wait more than 5 min to get someone to help me, and that was on an off service rotation.

Last edited:
I graduated from Texas Tech about a year ago and am currently at work and a little bored, so i decided to post. Having been out a year and working at 3 different ER's (2 in suburbia and 1 in a small town) I can say without a doubt this program will make you a strong ER physician capable of handling anything. The amount of procedures and sick patients that you will do there will make working in any other ER pale in comparison. This place will teach you through work and experience more than anything else. As for the Spanish side of things, I came in speaking almost no Spanish (other than the curse words) and am now more fluent than most of the nurses and staff I work with (still in Texas). If you have any other questions just post or PM me.

I graduated from Texas Tech about a year ago and am currently at work and a little bored, so i decided to post. Having been out a year and working at 3 different ER's (2 in suburbia and 1 in a small town) I can say without a doubt this program will make you a strong ER physician capable of handling anything. The amount of procedures and sick patients that you will do there will make working in any other ER pale in comparison. This place will teach you through work and experience more than anything else. As for the Spanish side of things, I came in speaking almost no Spanish (other than the curse words) and am now more fluent than most of the nurses and staff I work with (still in Texas). If you have any other questions just post or PM me.
I have a pediatric interview there next week.
My concern is this
Would there be any possibility of fellowhsips somewhere else after finishing the residency there?

Hey Kansas, thanks for the write up. Im not sure if i had a chance to meet you on my interview ( im pretty sure you dont go by the name kansas,:D). I really enjoyed my time there, the interview was laid back and all the attendings were super nice.

Glad you enjoyed our program. The enthusiasm never seems to leave our faculty either, which seems to be a unique quality about TT. I've been on a lot off service rotations and haven't been able to meet many of the candidates, but I hope you were able to get a good vibe from the ones you did meet!