If you knew you are going to be fired within 2 months, would you quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Doom & Gloom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ve been struggling at a chain retail pharmacy. And i hate it here.

I live where job market for pharmacist isnt so great.

Should I quit and a get a partime pharmacist position at an independent pharmacy?
Or should i wait until they fire me?
If i get fired, will this effect my future career tremendously?
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I had two months I would just start looking for a job. I wouldn't quit until I had something else lined up.

Reactions: 2 users
Strong username to thread title correlation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know you're going to get fired? If for performance reasons you usually have to be written up at least 2-3 times before termination. If for misconduct or not securing the pharmacy, theft, other easy calls, they can get rid of you immediately.

Whether you quit or a fired you should consider yourself dead to your employer and don't expect ever to work there again, so practically speaking there is no difference aside from collecting unemployment benefits

ask your sup to make u a floater so u can pick up experience working store to store. also to have less responsibilities as a floater. your chance of survival at cvs will significantly increase. / also ask to switch to another district. chances are u may find better support with another district management.

Reactions: 1 users
What a weird question. How could you possibly know you are going to be fired in 2 months? Like, is the pharmacy shutting down then?

But if I accept the premise of the question, my answer is no, I would not quit. I would just be looking for my next job the whole time. I MIGHT quit for the part-time gig, I would have to weigh the merits of a part time job now against the possibility of total unemployment later (not sure how I would make that decision to be honest, I would have to think about pay rate, possibility of it becoming full-time, benefits if any, how sure I am that I am going to be unemployed, etc.). At least with a part time job you can keep looking for another full time job and have some income.

I might also look at trying not to be fired, although I guess that breaks the premise of the question.

Reactions: 3 users
No just for unemployment benefits

No just for unemployment benefits

Most chains are set up to fight tooth and nail against such a thing ever happening.

Also, if there's the three strike corrective action records in place, the unemployee wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell

I was in this exact situation 7 years ago right now, and while it was devastating, I know now that in the long run, it was for the best.

I'd recommend that the OP start looking for another job, and as soon as s/he finds something, even if it's the part-time independent, give notice. If that doesn't happen before s/he's fired, definitely file for unemployment. And go to the local office; in my case, they had information I could not access on my home computer. Dress professionally as well, because if you do, they will treat you better.

A single firing shouldn't affect you much. There are places that are very difficult to work at, and people who are hard to work for, and everyone in the area knows who and where they are. Every job you've ever had? That's another story.

Many years before that, I was about to be laid off when our facility relocated, and we all had months of advance notice that this was coming. Out of nearly 200 employees, I only knew of 1 or 2 who quit beforehand, and one who was fired for showing up to work wasted (they were all technicians). If it's a layoff, stick it out for the severance benefits.

Most chains are set up to fight tooth and nail against such a thing ever happening.

Also, if there's the three strike corrective action records in place, the unemployee wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell

Not so. It might vary from state to state. Yes, they will try to fight it. But you would have gross misconduct. Unless you gave out Biaxin and Simavstatin and didn't call the doctor or tell the pt or left the safe open and an employee stole 5000 Percocet. Bad performance or sucking at your job will not prohibit your from collecting unemployment.

Not so. It might vary from state to state. Yes, they will try to fight it. But you would have gross misconduct. Unless you gave out Biaxin and Simavstatin and didn't call the doctor or tell the pt or left the safe open and an employee stole 5000 Percocet. Bad performance or sucking at your job will not prohibit your from collecting unemployment.

The chains will dispute your claim for unemployment if you are fired. Most of the time the company will win. Your supervisor will have to provide the state agency with copies of your written warnings, disciplinary actions, and the final reason for your termination. It could go to a hearing if they are not satisfied with the evidence. If it does go to a hearing anything could happen. There is no consistency to the decisions they make in those hearings.

If you didn't sign the warnings and you claim they were never delivered it might help you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go on FMLA, claim anxiety, abuse the heck out of it. Go on a 4 week leave and renew on the last day and continue this until fmla/medical/disability runs out. That could be 4 to 6 months.

During this period, get you a new job.

Resign from original job.

Then you're officially never fired and your resume remains clean.

That's how pros do it.

I'm not sure if an employer can disclose if an employee is on a medical leave when a potential new employer calls for a reference. And today, I'm not even sure employment verification is done over the phone.

The only recourse is that the OP will most likely end up on do not rehire category, either way.

Medical Leave is the best option for those who are about to get fired. Because medical benefits will be available during this period also.

Go on FMLA, claim anxiety, abuse the heck out of it. Go on a 4 week leave and renew on the last day and continue this until fmla/medical/disability runs out. That could be 4 to 6 months.

During this period, get you a new job.

Resign from original job.

Then you're officially never fired and your resume remains clean.

That's how pros do it.

I read your first paragraph and my exact thought was "that's how the pros do it". And then I saw that was your last sentence.

This is what a DM or corporate manager would do if they didn't think they could line up another good job quickly. Seen it happen many times.

FMLA is unpaid leave of absence. as a new grad or someone with student loans, you won't have the funds to last 4-6 months. in my 5 years with cvs, i've only seen it done once.

FMLA is unpaid leave of absence. as a new grad or someone with student loans, you won't have the funds to last 4-6 months. in my 5 years with cvs, i've only seen it done once.

You go on disability at 50-60% pay, not FMLA. How many of you have had a DM go out for "knee surgery" and never come back?

Obviously not many pros work for CVS. Good to know.

Medical/Sick/Personal Time/PTO along with disability should fund FMLA. This is a whole lot better option than getting fired with no income. Wouldn't you say?

FMLA is the tool to provide job protection. Your job won't be protected with short-term disability alone.