if you know you wanna do a fellowship...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgonnabe

your royal travesty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and have a particular one in mind, would it be a plus or a minus to try to match at that school's residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it definitely helps to have connections to a program where you want to do fellowship (though perhaps you could also gain exposure to the program through an "away elective" during residency, if your program is somewhat flexible).

On the other side, going to a different program from residency than you do for fellowship allows you to see the inner workings of two different hospital systems, which is also valuable.

Members don't see this ad :)
willow212 said:
On the other side, going to a different program from residency than you do for fellowship allows you to see the inner workings of two different hospital systems, which is also valuable.

i already know about the hamster in the wheel that runs things. ;)

but yeah, i thought about that downside. however, i've gone to an inner city, east coast med school. i'm hoping to match to a west coast program. i figure that's diverse enough. i mean, my sub-i in psych had me be an acting intern because it was just me, the attending and 13 lovely patients-- not to mention the community hospital i'll be doing my medicine sub-i in...

i do feel grateful, though, that even if i stay at my home school's program they seem to be flexible enough to let me do away electives and make a few nice phone calls to pd's here and there.

MDgonnabe said:
i already know about the hamster in the wheel that runs things. ;)

but yeah, i thought about that downside. however, i've gone to an inner city, east coast med school. i'm hoping to match to a west coast program. i figure that's diverse enough. i mean, my sub-i in psych had me be an acting intern because it was just me, the attending and 13 lovely patients-- not to mention the community hospital i'll be doing my medicine sub-i in...

i do feel grateful, though, that even if i stay at my home school's program they seem to be flexible enough to let me do away electives and make a few nice phone calls to pd's here and there.

Going from east coast to west coast would be a definite plus in terms of learning other systems. Best of luck!

willow212 said:
Going from east coast to west coast would be a definite plus in terms of learning other systems. Best of luck!

Hey MDGonnaBe,

Also, remember that C/L is a new fellowship so TONS of these are going to be popping up all over in the next couple of years. At most places I've interviewed, they intend on getting a fellowship in C/L really soon - since its a requirement for board cert. in 07 (or is it 08?) Just wanted to let you know that too :)

GOod luck hon! I'm praying for your number one match! ;)