if you messed up your last semester with a "D" ..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PPozarka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you messed up your last semester with a "D" in one your the non-required science courses (Ex. Cell, Evolution, huan diseases, ect), do you have to retake it?
technically, a D is a passing grade, so, the BS degree will be granted with the D.

Is there any medical school out there that will absolutely not take you if you have a D on your transcript? Even if the D only pull your GPA down to 3.4?

Thanks guys,
first post, been enjoying the forum :)

Members don't see this ad.

PPozarka said:
If you messed up your last semester with a "D" in one your the non-required science courses (Ex. Cell, Evolution, huan diseases, ect), do you have to retake it?
technically, a D is a passing grade, so, the BS degree will be granted with the D.

Is there any medical school out there that will absolutely not take you if you have a D on your transcript? Even if the D only pull your GPA down to 3.4?

Thanks guys,

Yes. You REALLY should retake all D's. REALLY.

It would be easy to retake if I was still in school. But since i have graduated and no longer enrolled in school, taking a 3 hrs class is kinda hard to do, considered that i'm not even in the same city anymore.

What do you think i should do?

Members don't see this ad :)
PPozarka said:

Thanks guys,

Since it is not one of the required classes for admission, you might be able to get away with it. Have you taken the MCAT yet? A solid MCAT may also help. But either way, you should find a way to retake the course and replace the grade.

PPozarka said:
It would be easy to retake if I was still in school. But since i have graduated and no longer enrolled in school, taking a 3 hrs class is kinda hard to do, considered that i'm not even in the same city anymore.

What do you think i should do?

I consider anything below a 70 failing. Although the school allowed you to graduate, a medical school will see that you recieved a grade of less than 70 and did not make the effort to retake it. Many admissions committees may not be very sympathetic to you.

With that being said, they may overlook it if you have a good MCAT. Apply to many schools, and if you don't get in, then consider retaking the course. Since you graduated, it makes it more of a sticy situation.

My main concern is the REQUIREMENT, that is, the transcript absolutely cannot have a D on it without a retake. If that is not the case, then I can breath a bit easier, of course, I wish that D was never there...

My reason for the D is, during that semester, i was finishing up my Senior Honor Thesis. And having to write a big research paper, I focused all my attention to that piece of work. So, it's nice to complete it and have a publication, but my grade suffered for it.

Maybe I should think about doing a Post-bac program or something similar. What do you think?

Maybe I should think about doing a Post-bac program or something similar. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Call the admissions offices of schools you're interested in and ask them. It beats all of this conjecture and opinion. You will find most of them very friendly and they will offer you good advice. ;)

i had a D from frosh year, did not retake and got into all 3 DO schools i applied to, 4 MD interview invites thus far and 1 MD accep so far...Proof that you don't HAVE to always retake to get a D overlooked.

Thank you, that cleared up a lot of things.

crys20, what was your final GPA and MCAT scores?

williamChenry said:
crys20, what was your final GPA and MCAT scores?

The link is in her signature.

Yeah you you don't have to take it over if it wasn't a prereq - and should be okay if the rest of your grades are okay.

Edit: I just saw you were asking if it's required to retake all D's or not - answer: NO for both DO and MD schools - :thumbup:

I got a "D" in a history class as well. I was asked about it during my interview, but it didn't affect me too much. I was accepted! :D You should be fine, as long as you have other strong points (science GPA, EC's, MCAT, etc). Good luck! :)

some of the comments i got about the D on the interview trail were funny though...

"yeah, you did great after that disaster freshman year"
(after mentioning my upward trend and me agreeing) "yup, i didn't see anymore Ds"
and my personal favorite, "you got a D in calculus; i got an A, how come you couldnt?"

PPozarka said:

Thanks guys,

you should, but you REALLY do not have to if it is not a required prereq. The exception would be if a particular school does not allow any D's.