Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

IF you (or someone you know) got into pharm school withOUT BA/BS, plz post

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by asubtlecasualty, Jan 5, 2009.

1. asubtlecasualty

Pre-Pharmacy
    if you, or someone that you know, got into a pharmacy school without first getting a bachelors, please post here. i really would like to do this.
    im at a UC school as a freshman. i have a 3.85 GPA so far, and i know i can finish the prereqs by the end of my 2nd year here. i wish to apply to a pharm school in california. and i have work experience at CVS which i am still currently working at.

if you post, please post details such as: GPA, work experience, extra currics, and what school. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Frederico Albin

Frederico Albin Yes thats my bulldog :)
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    +1 interested in this topic

4. jackal head

jackal head Registered Sex Offender
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  5. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I did but I've posted my "stats" before in other threads.

6. Franklin

Franklin Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I know one person that got into UOP after 2 years of community college with above a 3.5 and about 5 years experience working in a lab of some sort. (non-traditional student, changing careers)

7. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich

Pharmacist
    Got in without bachelor. Me.

8. triumphbr

triumphbr Yeah I'm accepted.
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Ditto

9. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Me too.

3.14 GPA
    73 Overall PCAT with l33t Bio percentage
    2+ Years Pharmacy Exp
    2+ Years Red Cross Volunteer

All I can say about the Biology PCAT is that it doesn't mean anything in pharmacy school. The questions on the PCAT were so damn easy compared to what I'm getting right now in Physiology.

10. Ross434

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    got in without a BS/BA. 3.98 gpa, 99%pcat, years of volunteering, hospital pharm experience, lots of volunteer extracurriculars, and of course letters of rec.

i applied early decision and got in.. only submitted one app. got in to u colorado

11. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Which class screwed you from that 4.0?

12. kismet

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN is really a small number of applicants in the overall picture, but if you check out the websites for the schools you're interested in, they usually have information about their admitted students and what they are looking for if you don't have a degree. A few California schools require a degree and the rest say they heavily favor it. The challenge may be getting the leadership and extracurricular experience they like to see in such a short time. You're going to face stiff competition in CA and may want to consider out of state schools if you don't want to finish a degree first - something like a good PCAT score can help you stand out, but CA schools don't use the PCAT.

13. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    3.85 GPA or above, lots experience and a 95 on PCAT would give you a good chance.

ALL the pharmacist I have ever met did NOT get a BS or a BA. They were all 2 years + 3 or 4 years. However, most of them are either in their late twenties or early thirties...might have been a lot easier back then to get accepted...NOT sure. But like I say...get a 95 on PCAT and you should have a good shot. :)

14. LostTexan

LostTexan Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have been accepted and I don't have a BS/BA, and I did all my pre-reqs at community college. I have a 3.1 GPA, 75 PCAT, and over 600 hours of volunteer work with several leadership positions. Needing to have a degree before applying is going to depend on what school you are applying to.

15. inquirer89

5+ Year Member

Yup, I've talked with some pharm students who graduated this year and they all got in without undergrad degrees. They said that it was pretty easy four years ago and beyond, but now not so much since pharmacy got so competitive.

16. ccpharmd

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Two of my friends have received acceptances to pharm school in their 3rd year of undergrad (applied beginning of year). I'd rather not post specific stats, but one of them had a GPA of around 3.4 and had no pharmacy experience. The other had a bit higher GPA, and worked in both campus & retail pharmacy. PCAT scores were high 80-low 90's.

A bachelor's, like many have said above, is not REQUIRED unless a school specifically states it, though I haven't run into that. Usually if you get your prereqs out of the way and have taken your tests (if necessary), you should be just as competitive as any other applicant given your creds are appropriately decent.

It's definitely possible. Your grades look great right now, just keep up with prereqs, do well in them, and plan to take the PCAT over the summer or something, then apply!

17. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD

Pharmacist
    SHC you are killing me with this. You do NOT need a 3.9 GPA and a 95 PCAT to get accepted into a pharmacy school! Stop telling people that! In fact there are a lot of people here who have got in with much less, including me. You are causing people undue stress and making them feel like they've got no chance. I'm not trying to be mean but you haven't even been interviewed or accepted so don't tell people what they need to get in.

#16 ValeRx, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  18. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The OP was asking if he had a chance WITHOUT a degree. It would be a lie to say yes you will get in without a degree and your gpa/pcat scores does not matter. If you have a degree and a ton of EX activities and experisences then NO you don't need high stats to get in. But if you are someone with no experisence and no degree etc...then yes you will need good stats to make yourself standout. I am sure most people will agree that you need to make yourself standout in some way in order to get in...whether its high pcat, high gpa or if not then a degree and a ton of experisence. My point is you need "something" to make yourself standout amongs the thousands of other applicants. Just finishing your pre pharm classes is not enough.

19. MLH36995

Pharmacy Student
    No degree. Some chemical engineering 15+ years ago.
    No pharmacy experience what-so-ever.
    GPA old (not so hot) + GPA new (much better) was 3.4
    Some volunteer work mostly with church and kid's school
    I applied to pharmacy school when I was 33 years old. I don't know if that helped me or hurt me.

My PCAT score was 99th percentile. I think that blinded the admissions folks to all my other flaws. I'm a P4 and graduate in May.

#18 MLH36995, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. rxtiger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am a first year student at UOP and there is a guy in our class that got in to pharmacy school transferring from a community college. I don't know what his grades were like, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have any previous pharmacy work experience. So, you can do it, but I would highly recommend finishing your degree first.