If you realize you've made a mistake on the secondary, should you email to correct or leave it alone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilweedy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Own the mistake and correct it in a brief email. Better that than to be considered a liar who is trying to gain some advantage by incorrectly claiming that status.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Some mistakes aren't worth correcting, like reporting 60 hours of shadowing instead of 50. Your mistake, on the other hand, is one that you should correct with a brief e-mail rather than being perceived as trying to game the system.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just one extra caveat, just before the question was asked you had to list your parents jobs and their degree of education, and I wrote bachelors/associates. Given that, I don't think anyone would think I was deliberatly trying to mislead them. I was hoping they would think I interpreted the question as 'college in the US'. Of course i'll defer to those wiser than me instead of my wishful thinkning, so send the email anyway?

Just one extra caveat, just before the question was asked you had to list your parents jobs and their degree of education, and I wrote bachelors/associates. Given that, I don't think anyone would think I was deliberatly trying to mislead them. I was hoping they would think I interpreted the question as 'college in the US'. Of course i'll defer to those wiser than me instead of my wishful thinkning, so send the email anyway?

Send it. To have checked the box in an obvious error given the other information on the same page does not stink of deliberate misinformation but it does show a lack of attention to detail. Better to get out in front of it than to let it fester. Read the classic non-fiction book, Forgive and Remember, to learn something of how surgeons deal with errors by trainees.

Reactions: 1 users