If you rocked Level 2, Is Savarese Enough for the OMM questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohnoeshelp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that there are some very system or specialty based OMM questions that people who used savarese felt unprepared to answer. Do you agree that the OMM questions were mostly rare / specialty focused? Is there any other high yield resource to use that you recommend? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that there are some very system or specialty based OMM questions that people who used savarese felt unprepared to answer. Do you agree that the OMM questions were mostly rare / specialty focused? Is there any other high yield resource to use that you recommend? Thank you!
All of my OMM questions on Level 2 were very basic concepts. I only had 1 or 2 weird questions. Savarese was plenty.

Reactions: 1 user
Savarese was enough. It’s not “everything” but spending time on “everything” (even if there was such a resource) would be using up valuable time for studying IM/OBGYN/etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i never studied OMM for level 1, 2, or 3 - never owned or opened the green book - and consistently scored over 75 percentile. I still don't know why people study OMM for the comlex when time spent learning path/phys/pharm/disease management is so much higher yield.

Although, I did fail one shelf/comsae, I bet you can guess which one it was, and then i studied OMM for like 10 hours then retook and passed.

Reactions: 5 users
Savarese was enough. It’s not “everything” but spending time on “everything” (even if there was such a resource) would be using up valuable time for studying IM/OBGYN/etc.
Will do! thanks

i never studied OMM for level 1, 2, or 3 - never owned or opened the green book - and consistently scored over 75 percentile. I still don't know why people study OMM for the comlex when time spent learning path/phys/pharm/disease management is so much higher yield.

Although, I did fail one shelf/comsae, I bet you can guess which one it was, and then i studied OMM for like 10 hours then retook and passed.

The OMM COMSAE/Shelf is pretty hardcore in my opinion. I hope level 2 isn't like it.

That's because 20-30% of the exam is OMM based. Makes sense to study for it.

Because OMM makes up nearly a third of COMLEX, and the questions could be easy points on the COMLEX if you take the time to study it.

And if you're smart about it, spend all the dedicated time studying everything else for boards besides OMM, and then, the weekend before the boards, use the last 2-3 days to read Savarese and catch up on all the OMM facts for COMLEX.

Thus, you don't have to sacrifice studying other concepts for the sake of studying OMM...

Because OMM makes up nearly a third of COMLEX, and the questions could be easy points on the COMLEX if you take the time to study it.

And if you're smart about it, spend all the dedicated time studying everything else for boards besides OMM, and then, the weekend before the boards, use the last 2-3 days to read Savarese and catch up on all the OMM facts for COMLEX.

Thus, you don't have to sacrifice studying other concepts for the sake of studying OMM...
yeah this is what I'm planning to do... 3-4 days to read green book twice - that's all the OMM Imma gonna do

the OMM on comlex 1 is super duper basic. The green book is as thick as FA - there is not that much OMM on the test. And why would you confuse yourself with 400 pages of crap that makes absolutely no sense? I'd say if you've maxed out your competency on ALL the other subjects then review some OMM just to waste your time and get confused.

Last edited:

It's nowhere near a 3rd. True OMM is often just 10-15% of the exam.

It's nowhere near a 3rd. True OMM is often just 10-15% of the exam.

I was wondering about this (bolded & big font in the 1st quote.)

OMG OMT advertises COMLEX as 1/3 OMM. They're obviously trying to sell to people but I'm starting to see it pop up more & more. Is it really only 10-15%?

OMG OMT advertises COMLEX as 1/3 OMM. They're obviously trying to sell to people but I'm starting to see it pop up more & more. Is it really only 10-15%?

It's hard to really say. I think most OMT falls into either viscerosomatics, using OMT to help you identify and diagnose certain MSK conditions, and then some treatments. Then you have another set that fall into extra material such as topics like scoliosis.

I asked one of my classmates who took it. He told me he felt like the exam had OMM for one third of the exam. Experiences may vary.

the OMM on comlex 1 is super duper basic. The green book is as thick as FA - there is not that much OMM on the test. And why would you confuse yourself with 400 pages of crap that makes absolutely no sense? I'd say if you've maxed out your competency on ALL the other subjects then review some OMM just to waste your time and get confused.

Green book material is only half the book. The other half is practice questions and the font is bigger than FA. Also, at the end of each chapter there is questions with answers. So if you cut them out and just do combank, the book becomes very manageable.

You want to do at the very least viscerosomatics because there were other topic questions that were impossible to answer unless you knew those reflexes. Super vague like smoking, Htn, hyperlipidemia with a cough. Then they would give you a reflex and expect you to answer a system question.

I asked one of my classmates who took it. He told me he felt like the exam had OMM for one third of the exam. Experiences may vary.

That is the problem with comlex besides the terrible wording. They do not standardize it like usmle is. So depending on what day you took it, your test score could be drastically different. Mine was all neuro and omm. My friends was cardio and GI.

1/3 of my test was OMM