If you say medicine is not the best freaking fairytale in the world ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murfettie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is going to be my last post on this forum.
I started med school at 26 with a few years of background in public health, which I liked, but it felt like my life was a chase for grants all day, and also it paid like 35k, and I really liked clinical medicine and loved the patients really the most, which I still do love them.
I was an interpreter for awhile, did some classes, and got into a fancy med school.

I finished med school, and it was pretty hard, but overall uneventful. I had gotten married, had babies, and most of my med school friends are PGY3, PGY2 now. I had met a lot of people in medicine, and now have a lot of doctor mommy friends as well, mostly attendings. We are personal friends, we are having playdates and having dinner, so we make fun of the hospital or the job. I am in the brotherhood.

I feel like on this forum, not a lot of people who had gone through medical school ever comment, we are on residency application forums trying to hustle our own stuff. But it seems like if anyone ever say, med school is not super worth it for a lot of people, you will get serious bash on here.

There was resident suicide, who leapt from my apartment building - Someone here said "oh, they are just mentally ill".
There was a medical student suicide - Someone here said "oh, they are just mentally ill".
I have friends who dropped out because they had small children, and had a lucrative job to go back to, so it just ended up not being worth the pain in the ass. He is super happy now - Someone here said "oh, they were in in for the money to begin with" (this is towards me as well)
I have met other older doctors who started med school at 40+ and said they woudln't do it again - What's your comeback? That they didn't think clearly? They were not old enough? They had some personality issue?
I had friends who got kicked out of med school, and you know what? They love their life, and it is pretty fantastic. I was talking to a particular friend the other day, she felt it was terrible at the time, but no she feels she dodged a bullet. -- What do you say to her? Accusing her of not thinking clearly?
I had friends who are attendings who quit because they had small children. One particular one where being an obgyn is just too hard with small children, what would you say to them? - That they obviously can't hack it. .. Sorry, but she hacked it. She graduated from one of the busiest residency in OBGYN in the country, and you are a premed?
I see a psych attending from time to time to talk, and she told me it is pretty common, and maybe 50% of every medical school class has a psychiatrist that the school provides

I don't know what to say, we all went through med school. Some didn't think it was worth it to stay in clinical medicine for a variety of reason, some felt maybe they wouldn't have done it again. I don't understand why this is so hard to hear for premeds, for nontraditional premeds in their 30's, 40's, who are suppose to be old, and wise, and tolerant, who are choosing a different path themselves?

People keep trying to say, it is "those" people who doesn't love medicine anymore, but it is not "me", but the thing is "those people" all loved medicine at some point in their lives. They did med school, most of them finished residency. I had known some of them for many many years now. My obgyn friend I had known since high school, she had put her baby in daycare at 3 months to go back to work, but she just didn't want to do that anymore after awhile. I had seen the change in them through the slog. But "those people" had gone through it, and they now feel differently. They all still love medicine, we all do, nobody went to med school to become an i-banker, but sometimes the other stuff become more important. A lot of my friends are totally burnt out in residency, but they still really like patients (most of them), but they are bored, they are irritated, they are tired. It is a good job and you can mold it to your liking in some way once you are done, but the kind of hate I get, for merely stating that I feel clinical medicine is possibly not worth it for me personally with small children was, well, saddening. I got called, miserable, depressed, money grabbing, etc. It is a bit, ironic, in that when we have dinner together, the mommy MDs, everyone understands the struggle, and nobody blames you if you say this is really tough, I can't do it. They encourage you, and lift you up. Yet the premeds on here, cannot stand it. Most of this kind of talk doesn't go beyond our playdates, nobody want to be a downer, so maybe you haven't heard this kind of talk, but it is there.

In the end, I would say, I did apply for residency this cycle because I really do love patients, and I have a very supportive husband and inlaws and parents. Med school was a really good experience beyond the medical education part even, so even if I do seek beyond clinical medicine in the future, it would have been a really experience. When I was 26, I was a single girl, only slightly older than most, but the calculation might not be the same for you, if you have kids, mortgage, a good job, a good life, a husband or wife that doesn't want to deal with this stuff..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Medic school is definitely NOT for everyone. There's a reason why we demand shadowing, volunteering or paid exposure to patients, and evidence of altruistic behavior. That, and academic excellence as well. On top of this, as you very well know, med school is a furnace and will aggravate any mental health issue.

Unfortunately, there are people whose self-esteem and image is wrapped up in their GPA and MCAT scores and they cannot separate themselves from medical education. These are the students most likely to become depressed and/or stressed out when they don't perform to perfection. For many of them, getting into medical school was their life's goal, NOT being a doctor! For them, going to seek help is not only a loss of face, it's a sign of weakness.

You're entitled to every penny you earn, and a nice life. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AC2E8F4D-175A-47A8-B6E8-A9B36D77F241.jpeg

... hey, OP ... Dear Diary

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, there are people whose self-esteem and image is wrapped up in their GPA and MCAT scores and they cannot separate themselves from medical education. These are the students most likely to become depressed and/or stressed out when they don't perform to perfection. For many of them, getting into medical school was their life's goal, NOT being a doctor! For them, going to seek help is not only a loss of face, it's a sign of weakness.

The insight of this resonates very strongly with me. In the years prior to quitting my job to pursue med school, I was grinding out time as a corporate stooge with the encompassing goal of retiring in my mid thirties. During the planning and saving stages of this, I frequented online communities comprised of similarly-minded people in varying stages of their financial independence journeys. What struck me and ultimately changed my own route was how many resourceful, talented, and creative people made the leap into intentional unemployment and then quickly succumbed to boredom, restlessness, and depression. They'd finally caught the car they'd spent ten to fifteen years chasing and no longer had any clue of what to do after the fact. In the time they'd taken to get there, their identities had been subsumed by a pursuit that was originally intended to be a means to a beginning. After so much time with well-defined goals, they were lost without them and the comforting friction of the constraining externalities that accompanied them. I think it's directly parallel-- fear of identity loss and notions of sunk cost drive a process of meaningless sacrifice and self-sabotage. The few who figure out that re-assessing and hitting eject are options are the lucky ones who save themselves years of drawing it out and the accompanying mid-life crises.