If you say you like research, would you be asked why you aren't pursuing md/phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbs21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if an interviewer would ask this because I wouldn't know how to answer other than my stats aren't good enough and I probably don't have enough research experience to get into a program?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if an interviewer would ask this because I wouldn't know how to answer other than my stats aren't good enough and I probably don't have enough research experience to get into a program?

Usually they ask why not phd, not md/phd. You could just say you're more interested in focusing on patient care, as most md/phds are pis.

For one, those answers you provided are reasonable. Two, as the above poster said, if you prefer clinical practice then a more research-oriented degree is clearly not your best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually they ask why not phd, not md/phd. You could just say you're more interested in focusing on patient care, as most md/phds are pis.

Really? As someone with a decent amount of research experience, I've been asked why not MD/PhD at least 3 - 4 times and never once why not PhD. I would think since our whole application is about why we want to go to medical school, they'll understand that and the discussion should be whether we want a PhD in addition.

For one, those answers you provided are reasonable. Two, as the above poster said, if you prefer clinical practice then a more research-oriented degree is clearly not your best option.

I wouldn't say you didn't apply MSTP because your application is too weak for it because you're now describing all the weaknesses of your application at the interview, which is hardly a good thing.

I would imagine it's the same way "Why this school" should not be answered with "I'm not good enough for this other school."

It depends on the interviewer, I like public/health policy and one interviewer (an MD/MPH) really quizzed me about why I'm not going for an MD/MPH. In his mind that was the only logical conclusion from my interests in health policy. In my defense, I told him that I'm already doing an Master's and I don't want to tack on more yrs in the form of an MPH; however, I would choose relevant MPH courses as part of my electives to get some foundation in health policy ...

So yes, they can question ur reasoning for not going for a PhD so formulate a response.

Really? As someone with a decent amount of research experience, I've been asked why not MD/PhD at least 3 - 4 times and never once why not PhD. I would think since our whole application is about why we want to go to medical school, they'll understand that and the discussion should be whether we want a PhD in addition.

I will usually ask about PhD rather than MD/PhD bc Im looking for why they didn't consider alternative careers.

I will usually ask about PhD rather than MD/PhD bc Im looking for why they didn't consider alternative careers.

Ah, so it's not so much as your goals in medicine as much as career choices. I can imagine you're probably just going to get the answer to "Why medicine" again, though.

Ah, so it's not so much as your goals in medicine as much as career choices. I can imagine you're probably just going to get the answer to "Why medicine" again, though.

Yeah, generally it's just to make sure people have thought things through completely and are committed to what they've decided on doing.

I was asked, "Why not MD/PhD?" in one interview (by a PhD), since I stated a strong interest in research in my application. I just replied that I felt reasonably sure I could pursue clinical research as an MD without also having to get a PhD, and I didn't want to extend the time I spent in school. My interviewer agreed and said there are plenty of opportunities to pursue research as an MD.

I don't agree. I wouldn't respond about why you chose to do something as saying you were incapable of doing something else. It presents you as a weak candidate and it doesn't really address the essence of the question (which is on why you want only an MD and whether this career is the best fit for you).

I was asked, "Why not MD/PhD?" in one interview (by a PhD), since I stated a strong interest in research in my application. I just replied that I felt reasonably sure I could pursue clinical research as an MD without also having to get a PhD, and I didn't want to extend the time I spent in school. My interviewer agreed and said there are plenty of opportunities to pursue research as an MD.

This has always been my response when approached with this question (haven't used it in interviews yet, though I plan to). It's quite frankly the most honest one I have. I would love to get a PhD and I would love for someone else to pay all my tuition and living costs in the process. However, to take an extra 4-5 years for an extra degree that enables me to do many of the same things I could have done with only an MD seems like a poor decision.

It is perfectly reasonable to say you can fulfill your interests in research with just an MD. But be careful not to step on toes if you are being interviewed by a PhD or MD/PhD, since it is a controversial subject on whether an MD is sufficient and you do not want to devalue your interviewers degree.

Also, I do not think it is completely accurate that MOST MD/PhD students are in academic research (aka are PIs). I was at a presentation by the director of smtp at Penn and his numbers seemed to suggest they were as often in the clinic as the lab, and in academia as much as industry.

Ultimately, you just need to express how your research interest is a medium to better understand your clinical work, but you are in some way inspired to got he way of a physician over scientist.

Also, I do not think it is completely accurate that MOST MD/PhD students are in academic research (aka are PIs). I was at a presentation by the director of smtp at Penn and his numbers seemed to suggest they were as often in the clinic as the lab, and in academia as much as industry.

Isn't it quite an overkill to spend 4 years on a PhD if your goal is to spend most of your time in clinic, considering plenty of medical students do research anyway? It seems to me that the MSTP is most suited for people who plan to become PIs, and the MD helps them do more translational rather than basic science research. Hopefully we can get opinions from someone that knows more..

I am just recalling some numbers I remember seeing in a presentation that I was surprised with too. I may be misinterpreting what I saw, it was a while ago. The presentation was by Dr. Skip Brass, from UPenn SMTP. If you are interested in the actual numbers, someone can send him an email.

I am just recalling some numbers I remember seeing in a presentation that I was surprised with too. I may be misinterpreting what I saw, it was a while ago. The presentation was by Dr. Skip Brass, from UPenn SMTP. If you are interested in the actual numbers, someone can send him an email.

The purpose of mstp is to train principal investigators. What people do with the degree is up to them, but most md/phds I know do research at least half if not full time.

If they ask about MD/PhD, I wouldn't say you didn't consider it because you don't have the numbers. That sort of makes it sound like you are "settling" for their program.

If they ask "why not PhD?", it's basically a different form of "why medicine?".

No, you're not misinterpreting it. More than half of md/phd's do not do any research AT ALL after residency. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute did a study on this and you can find it online somewhere.

ideal answer:

I like research, but I don't like it THAT much :eek: