If you technically graduated UG after MSI, would you "walk"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walk?

• Yeah probably

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Too much trouble

Votes: 37 59.7%

• Total voters

Mr. Freeze

Not right. (in the head)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a BS. I schmoozed my way into a 3+1 UG program, where the MSI credits count for my senior year (done through my UG institution, not MS)

My wife seems to think graduating UG and the commitment it takes warrants the pomp & circumstance of actually participating in the commencement. Even before, but more now, it feels too much like a stepping stone for me to get too excited about it.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If your wife wants you to walk, walk.

It is always important to keep us women happy.

:smuggrin:

Kudos, Freeze, a topic that I haven't seen on SDN before!

I'm not the best guy to comment because I never went to either of my "traditional" commencement ceremonies (bachelor's or master's). I only went to my high school one because my mom made me. I won't be attending my ceremony if/when I finish med school either.

If it is important to your family, then I'd say go ahead and stick the flat thingy on your head for an hour.

:thumbup: Excellent point

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a bunch of friends in UG and was very excited to walk.
when I graduated with my MS, didn't really know anybody and didn't want to bother with sitting next to someone I didn't know and listen to someone I didn't know talk about something I didn't care about.
It really depends on how you feel- would you miss seeing your friends in their caps and gowns?
I don't regret not walking for my ms. you are gonna get to walk again. for your md. that's gonna be a much bigger deal, worth the pomp and circumstance.

If your wife wants you to walk, walk.

:smuggrin:

I don't know if she necessarily wants me to, she just said she would.
But that doesn't keep your second statement from being very very true...:thumbup:

I'm not anti-P&C, if you will, and I definitely will participate in MS graduation, if it comes to that. But neither of her parents went to college; between mine they have 3 doctorates. It seems like her graduation was a bigger deal for her family than it would be for mine, not that that is any better or worse, just different. So I've been trying to say it isn't as big a deal for ME when I talk to her about it, without sounding like I'm minimizing her accomplishment by implying that it isn't a big deal at all. Because I think it is.

And I know people a year behind me, but that's about it. I worked so much in addition to school I didn't really forge any long-term relationships.

And I'm not really sure about the whole mailing out announcements thing. If I got one from someone I knew was in med school, I'd be like, "3+1 my ass, he just wants beer money!"

.....And I'm not really sure about the whole mailing out announcements thing. If I got one from someone I knew was in med school, I'd be like, "3+1 my ass, he just wants beer money!"

Yes. I to would applaud your effort to score "graduation money" and reward you with a gift card for a 6-pack of Guinness.:thumbup:

I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm not that into graduation ceremonies. If your wife wants you to do it, though, I think you're stuck. :) Sunnyjohn's right on the potential for gifts, too.

Wow, you arranged a sweet deal.

I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm not that into graduation ceremonies. If your wife wants you to do it, though, I think you're stuck. :) Sunnyjohn's right on the potential for gifts, too.

Wow, you arranged a sweet deal.

What was even sweeter is that it all panned out prior to the add/drop date for Spring 06...I went from needing to take 16 hrs and like 8 over the summer to taking a 3 hr sociology upper div. course.

Or that my resume will appear that I finished medical school in 3 years, which'd make me look smart until they saw how I did.

I'm sorry Sunny, I think your address didn't show up when you posted :cool:

Most undergrad graduation ceremonies (actually, all graduation ceremonies) suck huge balls. I would avoid it if at all possible.

do it for your parents! ...but if nobody cares, forget it.

if your fam wants it do it. if they don't I hate tha crap as well

I would want to do it. But then again that's just me. I worked hard for it and I like that kind of $h**. But oh well.

I'm in the same boat and I probably won't just because most of my friends already graduated.

But if your family wants it, then go for it.

I'm an MS2 and I'm supposed to walk this may. I'll be doing the PASS program studying for step 1 - walking is LAST on my list of priorities.

If it's a big deal to the wife and inlaws, then why not just go through it. It's only a few hours of your life, and they'll love it. Plus you can probably weasel a nice meal out of the inlaws after, and if your wife didn't remember to honor steak and bj day Thursday, hell, she may make up for it out of pride when you walk ;-)

Through more of an act of putting non-essentials on the back-burner than an actual conscious decision on my part not to, no song and dance for me. And in typical married fashion, my wife's misgivings about me not graduating were not necessarily communicated in their true form, that she thought I meant not getting a piece of paper rather than the actual ceremony.

Women. :confused:

im going to agree with the lot. I wont be walking either, but thats mostly because I dont like those ceremonies. They take too long, too many boring speeches, etc. I'll probably walk for med school though, Im sure all the hard work and long nights will make me feel like I earned it.

in your situation, no, I probably wouldn't. When I graduated though (before M1, not after), I walked with a bunch of my friends, and my whole family came (my brother got his MBA that morning). It was fun.