If you think YOU'RE spending a lot on applications

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by still waiting, Jan 16, 2002.

1. still waiting

still waiting Junior Member

Who else thinks this is crazy?... I'm taking a course as a requirement for a medical school that hasn't accepted me yet, that normally accepts like 1% of students like me (out of state). The course (books & everything) costs like $600. That's more than all my applications combined costed. I have like no money. I really want out of the course, and my money back, but also want the option of going to this school, if they so choose to take me. I keep telling myself that you can't put a price on education, but f*ck that. Education should be free. That's the damn price. Zero.

This about sums up my entire medical school application experience, from when I entered college and became a pre-med, to right now: I keep giving and giving and get no love.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. b-real

b-real What, me worry?

Attending Physician
    Wow :eek: Just out of curiousity, what is this $600 class you're taking?

4. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

what school is this that you are prepping for? didn't you apply to other medical schools?

5. none

none 1K Member

If all of your applications combined cost LESS than $600...you don't get to complain. Sorry. When you start reaching the $2500 level for those, you get to complain.

6. idiot

idiot Member

I addition to all the $$ spent on tuition/books, applications fees, MCAT fees, and 7 out-of-state trips - I also had to finance $3000 worth of dental surgery last semester.

7. alice

alice Senior Member

wasn't there a thread about this - like how much people spent on the process. an investment banker friend of mine guestimated my total costs at $8000. including amcas for 22 schools, all the secondaries, travel, etc. not even counting mcat prep! granted, he always flies first class, and i was taking flights that had two stops and left at 6am, but still.... it's pretty ugly.

8. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

9. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

10. DrBlueDevil

11. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member

I also took a class last semester specifically so I could apply to USC and UC Irvine, but I am not complaining about the costs, I have a full time job and can pay for it much easier than many of the rest of the SDNers.

12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

Epi:

Which class did u take for those two med schools? I know that UCLA is one of the few schools that requires Statistics.