If you think YOU'RE spending a lot on applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

still waiting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else thinks this is crazy?... I'm taking a course as a requirement for a medical school that hasn't accepted me yet, that normally accepts like 1% of students like me (out of state). The course (books & everything) costs like $600. That's more than all my applications combined costed. I have like no money. I really want out of the course, and my money back, but also want the option of going to this school, if they so choose to take me. I keep telling myself that you can't put a price on education, but f*ck that. Education should be free. That's the damn price. Zero.

This about sums up my entire medical school application experience, from when I entered college and became a pre-med, to right now: I keep giving and giving and get no love.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow :eek: Just out of curiousity, what is this $600 class you're taking?

what school is this that you are prepping for? didn't you apply to other medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
If all of your applications combined cost LESS than $600...you don't get to complain. Sorry. When you start reaching the $2500 level for those, you get to complain.

I addition to all the $$ spent on tuition/books, applications fees, MCAT fees, and 7 out-of-state trips - I also had to finance $3000 worth of dental surgery last semester.

wasn't there a thread about this - like how much people spent on the process. an investment banker friend of mine guestimated my total costs at $8000. including amcas for 22 schools, all the secondaries, travel, etc. not even counting mcat prep! granted, he always flies first class, and i was taking flights that had two stops and left at 6am, but still.... it's pretty ugly.

granted, he always flies first class ••

'nuff said.

Seriously, if you're always flying first class, then you obviously can afford to spend $8k. IF I stayed in the four seasons every time I interviewed in NYC (5 times), then I am certain I could spend that much in a few nights. Sheesh, I mean I have NOWHERE near that kinda money and i've shelled out a few grand so far (11 interviews). Makes you kinda wish you were MD/PhD!

Originally posted by none:
•If all of your applications combined cost LESS than $600...you don't get to complain. Sorry. When you start reaching the $2500 level for those, you get to complain.•••

For once I agree with you!!!! :)

Yes! 600 bucks? Is that all you are whining about?

Damn...just shutup and work a few weeks to pay it off. I am busting my ass on too many jobs to afford this ridiculous process. I have spent way more than 10 times your petty little number.

Originally posted by none:
•If all of your applications combined cost LESS than $600...you don't get to complain. Sorry. When you start reaching the $2500 level for those, you get to complain.•••

Yeah man....bear in mind that a lot of us (or our parents) are paying around $23000 a year JUST FOR TUITION as well!

I also took a class last semester specifically so I could apply to USC and UC Irvine, but I am not complaining about the costs, I have a full time job and can pay for it much easier than many of the rest of the SDNers.

Epi:

Which class did u take for those two med schools? I know that UCLA is one of the few schools that requires Statistics.