If you want to be a practicing clinician, is it dumb to go to a researchy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LolaLee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I actually haven't done any research and although I would be interested in doing some in med school, I know that I don't want to be a researcher. However, a lot of the top-tiered schools are "researchy" and I was wondering if it is better for someone like me to go to a more clinically oriented school over a research-oriented school even if it's ranked lower. That being said, when I visited hopkins I thought that even though they are known for research you get really great clinical experience too. Anyone, have any thoughts. Gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on doing clinical practice too and plan on applying to research schools. It's important to me to do research in med school because I think it's exciting and helps you really get involved in the material. Also, if you are planning to go into a competitive specialty the pedigree, research, and faculty of a good school can help out a lot in getting a residency.

It's not really necessary for anyone to go to a research school, but if it suits you then go for it.

LolaLee said:
I actually haven't done any research and although I would be interested in doing some in med school, I know that I don't want to be a researcher. However, a lot of the top-tiered schools are "researchy" and I was wondering if it is better for someone like me to go to a more clinically oriented school over a research-oriented school even if it's ranked lower. That being said, when I visited hopkins I thought that even though they are known for research you get really great clinical experience too. Anyone, have any thoughts. Gracias!

All schools train clinicians, and many of the best clinicians certainly have come from the schools at the tops of the US News research rankings. The schools that play up their ability to train clinicians do so less out of their ability to do it better, but more because they cannot compete with the research money going into the more prestigious schools. If you have the choice of going to either, don't choose a school just because it "brags" about being less research oriented (which in my mind is actually a defensive posturing). Go because you like the place, or the people or the fit.

You may find it difficult to be admitted to a "reserachy" med school if you haven't done research as an undergrad (or after college graduation -- or both). So, the decision may be made for you.