1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

If You Went To A New School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MD/DO ALMOST, Mar 24, 2007.

1. MD/DO ALMOST

2+ Year Member

Can you please tell me/us what types of 'Bumps in the road' or 'rough patches' you have experienced. I hear this all the time about new programs, and as I am considering attending one, and I'm quite concerned that I have yet to hear what that means exactly? Anyone care to elaborate or share experiences?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For me, a big reason I'm not going to a new program is because of the unknown. I'm generally a risk taker, but I don't want to risk thousands of dollars on this. See, they don't always have the chance to tweak the curriculum. Each school teaches things a bit differently, so they may have to do some tweaking to get it just right. Also, there may be a problem with rotation sites not being set up, the school not having any kind of reputation. People can debate all they want about reputation being important or not, but at the end of the day, if you're looking at two candidates with essentially the same grades, same board schools, you'll probably pick the one who is from a reputable, well respected school that has sent the program good residents. It just makes sense to take from somewhere you know has delivered results.If you're in a new program, there won't be any alumni to help you out with connections or anything like that.

Some people don't care about stuff like that, they don't mind being guinea pigs so to speak. But I don't want to take that chance. Also, if you want a competitive residency, you may be better off at a school that has sent students into that residency before because those grads can help you, programs will know that you are prepared for it if they've had good experiences with those grads. Although whether or not to go to a new school, it's really a personal decision.

Some people like that a new school, you'll probably get more faculty attention, the staff will be more receptive to students opinions as they get a feel for what works and what doesn't. For me, it's not a good trade off, for others, it may be.

4. Lamborghini1315

Lamborghini1315 Sleep deprived
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    lmao, first medical school is medical school. The staff of a new school is not new, usually they come from other schools and a lot of new schools realize the importance of taking care of rotation sites ahead of time. Like any medical school you will have to deal with management issues, but for a new school they are more likely to be swift coz they wanna make it work!!! Musclelink inspite of admitting his indifference to the situation clearly potrayed a negative vibe about new schools, here's an honest opinion...you have to choose schools based on their passion, rotation sites if they are new and mostly board averages if they are old. End of the day, you will be a doc..so relax and rock the boards.:cool:

5. Seger

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As this is a personal decision, think about the type of person you are. If you are a follower, stick to the established schools. You'll find comfort in the fact that you will have the reputation of a school to help boost you where you want to go or as a safety net to fall back on. On the other hand, if you like being a leader, and enjoy rising to the challenge, a new school may be great for you. You'll find satisfaction in knowing that your accomplishments are truly yours, and not influenced by reputation. Plus, won't it feel good to help lead a school's development of a prestigious reputation?

6. musiclink213

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Staff may not be new, but the way they're putting it together could be, and that's where the issues might arise. IT's the same thing at any school if they decide to change a curriculum. I think NYCOM had a while back changed to a systems based approach, and my tour guides were saying they were all having a problem in OMM because they hadn't done muscoskeletal yet. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, but that's what I was heard. So it's going to happen regardless of who the faculty is as every school is going to do things a bit differently.

Also, maybe I portrayed a negative vibe because that's my feeling towards a new school. I personally would not want to go to one, and I have a hard time finding many positives in it, especially because the new ones that are opening are not in places I would love to be in, and I just don't want to be the first graduating class of a new school. The OP was asking about bumps in the road, so that in it of itself implies that they may get a lot of negativity. If they asked about positives, then I would never have said what I did.

But definitely, if you feel passionate about a specific school, you like the location, you like what the school is stressing (rural, inner city, primary care, etc.), you got a good feel for the place, than by all means, go for it. As with any school, you have to enter with certain precautions and you have to take the bad with the good. No one school will be perfect for everybody, but if you're fortunate to have to make a decision, you can choose the school that's most perfect for you. And everyone weighs things differently. I chose my undergrad major based on how nice the bathrooms were and things worked out just fine for me, so you don't always have to make a decision based on the most logical things. For some people, they don't care what the bathrooms were like in the building, for me, it's what made me choose my major. So everyone will make a decision for different things.

BTW, I'm a she :)

7. Lamborghini1315

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    lmao, that's just funny. Well musclelink i totally respect your opinion but the example of nycom really contradicts your point coz it doesnt really fall under the category of new. Iam saying this because both new and old schools will go through issues dealing with curriculum, equipment, tuition, rotation sites...this was my exact point in my previous post. I just think you are right but your opinions are misleading...not trying to start an argument, i do understand your opinions.

8. MD/DO ALMOST

2+ Year Member

OK thanks for the input, but just to let you know where I'm coming from, my decision has to do with ATSU-MESA, the new school opened by ATSU-KCOM. The curriculum will be VERY nontraditional- one twelve month year in AZ, and two thru four in the CHC/Hospital sites. Year two is 1/2 didactic in groups, and then 1/2 clinical experience- ( this is before comlex 1). Three and four are normal rotations.

9. musiclink213

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't want to start an argument, and maybe I wasn't making myself clear before. I was trying to say how a new curriculum would cause problems for everyone, even if the faculty has been around, regardless of the school. So I think I'm agreeing with you, but I didn't think I was contradicting myself. Maybe what mmakes sense in my head doesn't make sense when I type it out. So for a new school, having to implement a new curriculum, it could take some time for them to work out the best order for things, or the best way to schedule classes, exams, etc. Things like that will happen whenever a school changes the curriculum, or in the case of new schools, opens up.

And yes, I realize that choosing my undergrad major was based on a very stupid thing, and i am completely ok with it. But I figured, if you're spending 12+ hours a day in teh same building, you're going to want the bathrooms to be nice. Heck, one of my criteria when I was choosing med schools to apply to was how many ice rinks are near by. Hey, a girl's gotta be happy, right?

10. Lamborghini1315

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    hehe what can i say? you have valid opinions and iam glad we exchanged some rather interesting perspectives. So where you going to school my friend?

11. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the way i see it...if you dont mind traveling (dont have wife/kids)..then u should be fine...the new schools dont really have the regional hook ups wen it comes to clinical ed (rotations)..so you may have to travel to other cities, maybe even states..on the bright side..if u like to travel..then go for it!

12. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In my experience, it's been just the opposite. DCOM has most of their rotations within 100 miles of campus...whereas two of the most established schools near me (KCOM and KCUMB) have their rotation sites spread out all over the place, especially KCOM.

I could be wrong, but this is the impression I had. I like the fact that I should be able to live in the same place for all 4 years, and possibly residency depending on whether I want to try to get into a residency at UT in Knoxville.

13. musiclink213

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm actually going to NYCOM at this point, even though they just changed the curriculum. I'm hoping since they did it a couple years ago, all the kinks will have worked out. I wuold have liked to have gone to PCOM, but obviously, they didn't want me as much. Plus, NYCOM has a bunch of rinks within a 30 minute driving distance, which is great for me. And where will you have the pleasure of attending if you do not mind me asking?

14. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I PM'd 2 students from the inaugural TUCOM-NV class about going to a new school. They seemed pretty happy about their choice and didn't mention any major problems. One pointed out he liked being able to take a role in shaping the curriculum. Of course that's just the opinion of 2 students, but they didn't say anything along the lines of "run for your life!!!" or "I'd stick a fork in my eye before I would chose a new school again".

15. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    double post

16. Lamborghini1315

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    i decided not to go to nycom, however i have tons of friends there and it will be hard for me to be in a diff school (dcom). Well pcom is my no.1 choice as well, like you they didnt want me either coz iam yet to hear from them...i guess i will see you when iam down in long island visiting my nycomers. I am gonna be there a few times this year itself and i will try to do it more in the future also...

17. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think to be the right type of person for a brand new school (especially COM-Mesa) you must A) have a pioneering spirit, and B) truly believe in the curriculum/staff, so that when things get bumpy, you know are in it for the right reason.

I interviewed and was accepted at COM-Mesa, but ended up declining acceptance because I do not want to commit to primary care. I intend to do a semi-competitive residency, and do not want my medical education to be a limiting factor when I am applying. This is not to say that it will be, I am just not comfortable with the possible risks.

If you are planning on Primary Care, I think COM-Mesa is a great school that will produce top quality physicians with excellent patient interaction skills.

18. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    I knew you had to have been a female when you made that statement ... :laugh:

19. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LMAO! Hey, that is important to women!:p

20. musiclink213

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm glad somebody agrees with me! Although I did need to come up with a better answer for my interviews than just I liked the bathroom. I originally started as a bio major, but changed after 2 weeks. I got asked a couple times why I changed my major. On my first interview, i gave a nice answer, once I had an acceptance, I felt more free iwth my answers, so on one of my interviews (DMU, I think) I said "I liked that they just built a new building so all the labs were brand new and state of the art, the faculty was very friendly and welcoming, always there when you need help. I enjoy being able to apply something rather than rote memorization, blah blah blah. Also, the bathrooms in the chemistry building were much nicer than teh biology building." My interviewers got a good chuckle out of that one.

21. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Were they female too?

22. TzDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MD/DO ALMOST,
    Thanks for the post, mine isn't quite working out on the DO thread. Like you, I wanted to hear from students that have experienced new schools, but there has been some good thoughts and feedback on here too. Thanks again and good luck with ATSU/COM-Mesa!

23. Corrupt200

Corrupt200 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Podiatrist

I hate change...everytime a chenge occurs, it give me a kick in the butt.

24. I have a question about that. I know that allopathic students need to just score average or slightly below average to match into general categorical surgery somewhere. How do osteopathic students need to do when trying to match into a general surgery AOA residency? Better than average on boards?

25. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    If a DO wants to do a competitive MD residency program, then yeah, the DO student must fare better statistically than the average MD student competing for that program.

26. I guess they want to be sure whoever they get is competent

27. slinkeyooo

slinkeyooo sleeper
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That may be true however, a good interview can win a spot at the toughest residency.

28. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    You have to be qualified statistically, or the interview won't happen. Even if it does, the interview won't score you many brownie points ... I assume you're "the best interviewer?"

29. slinkeyooo

slinkeyooo sleeper
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with you that you have got to be in the ballpark statistically otherwise they wont give you an interview however, I do believe that 2 candidates who are similar; one being a md and the other a do, statistically wont matter if one has a great interview and the other has a soso... and yes Ive had my fantastic interviews and Ive had ones that Ive really bombed.. It takes alot more than basic statistics to gain admission to a good residency...

30. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I'll take the advice of an OMS-0 for residency ... :laugh:

31. MJB

MJB Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Who knew we had a 13 year old in our midst.

32. koennen

koennen Lend Me An Ear
    10+ Year Member

That's really funny. The harsh reality of the process will be an eye-opener for you a few years from now.

33. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I knew it was you all along!! :laugh:

34. scdocusc

2+ Year Member

I've talked to a great many D.O.s in subspecialties and they all told me that residencies are all POLITICS! sure boards are important but you have to rub the right people the right way mostly.

35. I'm sure that's in every field :D

36. MJB

MJB Senior Member

Attending Physician

That's pretty much how the world works in my experience.