If you were a billionaire...would you practice for free?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfiniVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or open a free clinic or something?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely keep doing the things I loved, especially if money is no object. Now, I just have to finish vet school and win powerball.

if i have endless money, then there is no point for getting more money. i will set up a non-profit org, do some conservation/wildlife stuff --> that is where it needs money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm - that's a tough one. I'd definitely do spay/neutering for free, and perhaps vaccines. For other issues such as illnesses and injuries, I would be inclined to charge a nominal fee. IMHO pet ownership implies taking responsibility for the animal for the rest of its life, and I would want my clients to care enough to pay something, even if it's just $5. Maybe it's because I've spent so much time working in shelters and seeing the results of the folks that don't care and cast off their pets like old clothing. :mad:

ShelterGirl makes a good point about having a pet means taking the responsibility for it...I think I would donate all the proceeds off though to shelters and groups in need of the money. And I'd probably make a ginormous donation to create a new vet school or something like that. Oh, to have this problem to worry about!

I too belive that people should take responsibility for the animals in their care and part of the American vision of reposnibility is really tied into money. So no I would not open a completely free clinic. I would definatly work for free with rescues, shelters and spay neuter goups. That being said for fees:

I think I'd possibly:
A- set up a sliding scale like they use at planned parenthood to set fees.
B- do things "at cost" for materials and possibly tech labor but not pay myself or other vets from the clinic income (and pay my techs well).
c- vaccines, spay and neuter for free and everything else prices lower than average.

And I'd definatly have a clinc fund for those emergancies that need referal the the owners cannot possibly pay for and would end in euthanasia otherwise. (like the 9 mo old kitten last week with a diaphrmatic hernia and basically ALL her guts in her chest. The owners PTSed becuase of cost:( )

LOVE the emergency fund idea, Bubbles!

i would...to an extent....i wouldn't do it in a neighborhood where people can afford vet care but are too lazy to pay, but i would def. help homeless pets or those who are 'in need' of it

I would pay my workers better. Much better. From poop scoopers to techs...

Last edited: