If you were admitted to UB...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynorphin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone turning down UB solely because of the horribly cold weather at Buffalo? If so, which school are you planning to attend instead?

Members don't see this ad.

where are you from? Hawaii?
Horribly Cold, I think you mistake Buffalo and the Yukon Territory, because I must say we only get "horribly cold" weather for a month or two. Temps in the winter don't get bitter until Jan and end early march at the latest. This week, we have been enjoying pleasant 50-60 days.

I'm actually from Cali...even worse transition isn't it??? But I'm pretty much set for Buffalo no matter what. So I'll see you there ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
It really isn't that bad, after one winter you'll be used to it. Although if you have never driven in snow before, please be careful out there, or live on campus! Thats one thing about Buffalo, the city does not stop for a little snow. See you in the summer!

It really isn't that bad, after one winter you'll be used to it. Although if you have never driven in snow before, please be careful out there, or live on campus! Thats one thing about Buffalo, the city does not stop for a little snow. See you in the summer!

Do you know what's the average temperature at Buffalo in Winter? Also, what kind of car is necessary to drive in the snow? I heard the lifespan of a car decreases by a lot in the cold weather. I'm assuming a Corolla is not good enough for the snowy weather. I also remembered that the pharmacy student at UB telling me that you have to have a car. I think that's reasonable because I would need to get a job which will require some driving. What do you think?

Do you know what's the average temperature at Buffalo in Winter? Also, what kind of car is necessary to drive in the snow? I heard the lifespan of a car decreases by a lot in the cold weather. I'm assuming a Corolla is not good enough for the snowy weather. I also remembered that the pharmacy student at UB telling me that you have to have a car. I think that's reasonable because I would need to get a job which will require some driving. What do you think?

to be honest, you will see all sorts of cars driving in the winters, i've seen corvettes and porsches in the winter. At my job, there is a guy who drives an M5 all year round. I think a corolla is fine. The thing is, tires and brakes. Do not drive a car with performance tires in the winter. You need to also learn how to pump your brakes, because even with ABS during ice storms, your brakes will lock up. Pumping them is the only option. By the way, if you have a car battery over 3-4 years old, you should probably buy one. When winte comes around I suggest finding a snowy parking lot and practice driving and maybe do some doughnuts. You just can't freak out when we get an inch of snow. We will get 12 inches and people will drive like its summer. The weather is not bad everyday. I think that you will only really need to worry about the weather in the spring semester.

The average winter temperature is about 25-32, that is a safe bet. This year and last year we had weather in the 60's in january! The bad weather did not pick up until midle-late january. You will see sub zero temps and wind chills.

But believe me, one winter here and you'll be used to it. You will never fear driving in snow again. Just take your time getting used to it and it will be fun. Winter does have its benefits