If you were me what would you do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbfiji13

Cremaster
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's the situation. I'm on two waitlists right now and things aren't looking good. I graduated from undergrad this past May with a degree in biology/ minor chemistry. I've contacted both schools to ask for feedback about my application. I've been working on my clinical experience by shadowing and lining up some volunteer work. Ok, all that said, what should I do if I don't get accepted. Should I take some more undergrad classes this fall, apply to a graduate program (if it isn't already too late), find a lab position or medically related job, or just continue with the shadowing/volunteering. This description might be a little vague, but any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

rbfiji13 said:
Alright, here's the situation. I'm on two waitlists right now and things aren't looking good. I graduated from undergrad this past May with a degree in biology/ minor chemistry. I've contacted both schools to ask for feedback about my application. I've been working on my clinical experience by shadowing and lining up some volunteer work. Ok, all that said, what should I do if I don't get accepted. Should I take some more undergrad classes this fall, apply to a graduate program (if it isn't already too late), find a lab position or medically related job, or just continue with the shadowing/volunteering. This description might be a little vague, but any helpful advice would be appreciated.

First, being on waitlists means you still have a chance. But if it doesn't pan out, you really need to get in touch with a school or two from which you were rejected, and find out why (actually phrase it more like that you wanted to find out how to improve your app for next year). If your GPA was lacking, more classes taken for A's, or some graduate study may be the answer. If you had inadequate clinical experience, then get more. If your LORs were crummy, you need to work with some profs or MDs who can write you better ones. No one but someone who has actually seen your app, or knows exactly what your shortcomings were can give you any useful advice.

rbfiji13 said:

It sounds like a lot of your experience is focused on the typical premed stuff. If you don't get in this year, first of all, I wouldn't sweat it. You're still young and have lots of time to try again. I would do something to enrich your life that really interests you. Travel the world. Work in a clinic in another country. Get a master's in something non-biology related. I think this would help you stand out a bit more and it would be a good essay topic.