If you were me, what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matrix570

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm writing this because I really need your advice for my 2008-2009 course schedule...

well, first of all, the following are the course loads that I have taken so far.
(each course is worth 3 credits)

1st yr: 1st term: 4 courses + 2nd term: 3 courses (total: 21credits with one withdrawal)

2nd yr: 4 + 3 (21 credits with one withdrawal)

3rd yr: 4 + 4 (I have straight As in this year, two of them are A+) (24credits)

4th yr: 4 + 6 (31 credits)

Total GPA: 83~84%

So now I only need 6 more credits to graduate. But I'm afraid that the admission committee would think that I'm not capable of handling rigorous dental school curriculum because I have only one year (my 4th year) of 30 credits.

So I have two options now.

1. I may take 30 credits the upcoming year but I will end up wasting my money on the courses that I don't really need. And there is also a risk of lowering my GPA because I can't find any more easy courses to boost my GPA. And I won't have enough time to study DAT.

2. I may just take 6 more credits( 2 more courses), and use the rest of my time and energy to study DAT.

If you were me, what would you do? I'm really desperate right now..Honestly I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Were you considered a full time student every quarter/semester you went to school? If yes, then that should be fine. I think that as long as you're considered a full time student (12 units for me) then it doesn't matter. I think it looks better if you get 3 As than 5 Bs.

If anything, your DAT is more important than school at this point. I suggest you spend enough time studying for that than worrying about how many units you need to take. Just make sure you have the prereqs done for the schools you are applying to.

I had three semesters with either 13 or 14 credits and I was never asked about that on my interviews. Is it possible to take some classes over the summer?? I'm not sure i understand how you can graduate with so few credits?? how many does it take to graduate. I needed 128. I think its more important to take a load that you can handle and get A's than to take too many credits and not do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, In my school (UBC in vancouver) EACH COURSE is worth 3 credits

During my first two years, I took 12 credits (4 courses) for the first semester (from Sep to Dec), and 9 credits (3 courses) for the second semester (from Jan to Apr).

And in my 3rd year, I took 12 credits for EACH semester. (so 24 credits for this year: 8 courses

In 4th year, I took 12 credits for the first semester and 18 credits for the second semester.

I had transfered from community college long time ago. That's why it seems like I don't have enough credits to graduate. Sorry I should have explained it...

But until my thrid year in UBC, I didn't have this information that I need at least 30 credits (10 courses) per year. The only year with 30 credits is my last year. I think I proved myself that I can handle full course load(30 credits) with my last year, but is only one year of 30 credits enough to prove myself??

I don't want to take a bunch of useless courses to waste my money and to risk my GPA, but at the same time, I'm so worried about my chance of getting into dental school because of this lack of the number of 30 credit-year...

And I made a mistake in calclating my GPA...My GPA is actually between 3.68 and 3.74. And science GPA is 3.5.

so what should I so guys? any more advice?

thanks for your help. By 13 credits, how many courses are you talking about?

13 credits was 4 classes. 3-3 credit classes and one 4 credit science class with lab. are you applying for this current cycle (entering 2009) or are you going to apply next year. Taking a full load of upper level classes could be really beneficial if you do well or could hurt you if you don't. maybe just do one semester in the fall then concentrate on studying for the dat in the spring of next year. Then make sure you apply to quite a few schools. Some schools might look at the courseload more than others and i'm not sure if there is really a way to find that out.