if you were the admission, how would u choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigyihoroi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming there are two students but only one spot left, who would you give this spot to if you were the admission office:

Student 1:

MCAT score: 25 .... say his distribution is like 8, 8, 9 - balanced but low composite score

Student 2:

MCAT score: 34 ... but his distribution is like 14, 14, 6 - highly skewed but high composite score

Assuming GPA, EC, and everything else is equal

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming there are two students but only one spot left, who would you give this spot to if you were the admission office:

Student 1:

MCAT score: 25 .... say his distribution is like 8, 8, 9

Student 2:

MCAT score: 34 ... but his distribution is like 14, 14, 6

Id go with 2....34 is greater than 25 no matter what the breakdown.

The one with better musical taste. Or the hotter one. Whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like Billy Joel, you can enter my medical school. If not, don't waste my time.

Btw #2 is better.

B.

a 25 is consistently low, they did not get unlucky on a passage or w/e.

A 34 (with a 6) has 2 very high scores and one low one. I would let that slide.

If you can get 14 on two sections, you're obviously a brilliant premed who just decided to pound a fifth of Bacardi 151 in the break room before the BS section for the hell of it.

#2 by a mile, but if it were an actual admissions committee, that 6 might lead to an auto screen-out

I am teh admission.

sorry dude, no MD school is gonna take you with that 6 on verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually read this thinking that the post would actually be a difficult hypothetical question. I was wrong.

I mean really, how hard do you think this decision would be?

I'd pick the 34 most def. Unless, for some reason, I just felt the 25 student had "IT." Never go against my gut.

i thought some of you might actually choose stuent 1 cuz it's better to pick someone who's scores in subsections are balanced. i guess I am wrong :smuggrin:...I think if I put student 1 as 26 with 8,9,9 or 27 with 9,9,9 then some of you will choose student 1. LOL

i thought some of you might actually choose stuent 1 cuz it's better to pick someone who's scores in subsections are balanced. i guess I am wrong :smuggrin:...I think if I put student 1 as 26 with 8,9,9 or 27 with 9,9,9 then some of you will choose student 1. LOL

999, then possibly, but any other scenario i'd choose #2.

999, then possibly, but any other scenario i'd choose #2.

Ah, 999 - the mark of the upside-down beast.

Pardon me. I've had a really, really long day.

If I was on the adcom I'd pick all students in reverse alphabetical order by last name.

(Heres banking that eventually, at least one adcom I like would get to "V")

Student 1:

MCAT score: 25 .... say his distribution is like 8, 8, 9 - balanced but low composite score

Student 2:

MCAT score: 34 ... but his distribution is like 14, 14, 6 - highly skewed but high composite score

34 hands down. That person only screwed up one section instead of all 3.