if you were to apply again, what would you do differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacbum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i realize that we still have a while before this cycle's over, and it's too early to really even begin talking about applying again, but...

what would you do differently to maximize your chance of getting into your #1?

personally, i would've applied back in may, and taken the dat's last year rather than waiting until freakin october. you live, you learn

Members don't see this ad.

I would stay away from SDN.

i would've tried harder in undergrad and broken up with my gf as soon as college started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or I would have worn a condom, damn sandwhich bag and rubber band!:thumbdown:

Take the DAT sooner and submit my application sooner too.
(Damn personal statement... $#@!%^*%$@)

i wish i would have applied at the end of my sophomore year instead of the end of my junior year

i would've tried harder in undergrad and broken up with my gf as soon as college started.

man no kidding. dirty female ruined my fresh/soph years only to break up shortly after. lousy! 3.6 without, 2.7 with--> :mad:

I am not going to apply again............ don't make me even think about this! I do not want to retake DAT ever again. I never ever again want to fill all those applications out, and I never ever again want to ask ppl for LOR, and I don't want to do this again!!!!!!!!! GRRR...

Okay I will dilligently do it all over again, have it ready and sent out May 1st, and have some even cooler PPL write my LORS, and shadow my dentist even more, and take some graduate level courses and turn into an alcoholic, and I guess retake my DAT.

This is a depressing thread. Why did u have to ask this?

I would have been studying more for DAT. I used Kaplan book, CD and old tests only and I got 20AA . I wish I would have known better about DAT Destroyer and achiever. I am sure I could do better. Oh well.

And I would have got letter of recommendation earlier.

I would have sent more hate mail to Case. Just playing!

I would have taken my freshman year a bit more seriously...

It is difficult to raise a 1.7 GPA to anything a dental school would be interested in:D

Members don't see this ad :)
anonymous adcom: i feel like i should give seminars to kids in high school explaining how to really deal with females. i don't know how many times i've said "i wish i would have known then what i know now"

1992corolla, 1.7 freshman year? what's ur gpa now? i'd like to hear that story....

Do better than my crappy DAT scores that will keep me out of D-school...18/19/22....totally unacceptable..i too wish i would have known about DAT Destroyer, Achiever, etc.

omg same here! i failed two classes one semester because of her.

same girl??? LMAO

j.k.

yeah if we can take anything out of this "disaster" is single is the way to be through dental school. If only I never had to explain myself every night before my biochem exam to my then boyfriend, who now left me bc of dental school, maybe dental school would send me that letter on Dec 1st. Maybe they will....

That is all kind of ironic.

anonymous adcom: i feel like i should give seminars to kids in high school explaining how to really deal with females. i don't know how many times i've said "i wish i would have known then what i know now"

1992corolla, 1.7 freshman year? what's ur gpa now? i'd like to hear that story....

That doesn't matter anymore...I am a D1 now.

I got into temple with a 3.3

Worked pretty hard and now I can breeze through school;)

way to go, thanks for the inspiration

I would have made friends with an alum that is a big UoP donor that way I could have gotten an interview there.:)

real legends are made on SDN.
30 years from now we'll look back on the big thread closing scandal and ihd's jpeg comic relief

yea, there are some evil, evil chics out there.

I woulda taken the MCAT's and applied to med school concurrently. All this agony's making me wish I had applied to med school!

I would have taken the DAT in the winter before applying to avoid conflicts between getting your app done and letters complete and studying for the DAT. I also would have studied for the DAT more. I did 95% of my studying in the 3 weeks before the test while working full time. I could have easily made a 23 (I made a 22) if I had studied another week. This was not possible because I didn't want my app any later than it already was.

I am reapplying this year. I hope I don't need to do it again. I focused on making my overall application stronger. Better LORs, retook the DAT, boosted the GPA, and applied early. Of all of these I would say the early application with better DAT are most within my control. I've applied to 12 schools, I have eight interviews. I applied to mostly the same schools last year and had one interview. Stick with it. If you want to get in and you need to reapply then improve your overall application and get ready for next year.

Hey guys, if you couldn't tend to your studies while dating a girl that's your problem. I had a girlfriend for the first three years of undergrad, and I think I did alright. Just because the relationship is over doesn't mean you get to blame her. You made a choice.

if she wasn't there i wouldn't have needed to make a choice. stupid freshman choices

I wouldnt take such a busy semester where I have 4 classes every day...every day that I miss is like a whole week.......but who cares lol

I would be a science major from day one. Engineering was fun and all, but being a bio major is the easiest thing in the entire world. :laugh:

hey in her drawer, just out of curiousity, why'd you switch from engineering (you were bme right?) after so long? you did pretty well in it right?

I would be a science major from day one. Engineering was fun and all, but being a bio major is the easiest thing in the entire world. :laugh:

so you're engineering. that's why you got 10,000 interviews.

hey in her drawer, just out of curiousity, why'd you switch from engineering (you were bme right?) after so long? you did pretty well in it right?

Yeah, I was BME. Long story short: scheduling conflict. I was gonna be delayed a year (five years for BME degree), so I figured, "I want to be a dentist anyway, forget the extra year."

i'll definitely assist.

If I'm going to have to apply again, the second time I'D GET IN!!!

i like how all you guys are on probationary status...i wanna be on probationary status

hey gavin!

jesusforsale.jpg

its not easy to go red...you have quite the path ahead of you

Do better than my crappy DAT scores that will keep me out of D-school...18/19/22....totally unacceptable...

I am sorry, but I have to call you out dude. If you really think an 18/19/22 is totally unacceptable you're totally off base. I know a handful of people with interviews already that have 17s in the sciences. One kid in particular had a 14 in o-chem and was told if he were to retake it and get a 15 he would get an interview......a 15!!!

Some of you need to stop living at the SDN level and realize that these people are literally at the top of the applicant pool. I would be proud of that 18/19/22 if I were you. Nothing to be embarassed about there.

I am sorry, but I have to call you out dude. If you really think an 18/19/22 is totally unacceptable you're totally off base. I know a handful of people with interviews already that have 17s in the sciences. One kid in particular had a 14 in o-chem and was told if he were to retake it and get a 15 he would get an interview......a 15!!!

Some of you need to stop living at the SDN level and realize that these people are literally at the top of the applicant pool. I would be proud of that 18/19/22 if I were you. Nothing to be embarassed about there.

i agree with my husband! :love:

I'd have put more thought into my personal statement... my essay is LAME.. second time around, i'd speak from right here (pointing to my heart)

I would have applied earlier!!! I didn't submit until mid july and I am way behind everyone on interviews.
I would also listen to less people on this forum who say things like "You can't get in anywhere with less that a 20 on the DAT"

I would have gone to "real" college (not community) from day one, majored in history or finance or marketing or anthropology or "x" easy major and just taken pre-reqs, and I would have extended the scope of my application to include some "better" (cheaper) schools.

I would have applied earlier!!! I didn't submit until mid july and I am way behind everyone on interviews.
I would also listen to less people on this forum who say things like "You can't get in anywhere with less that a 20 on the DAT"

Your application isn't bad at all, plus what you have is quality.

Hey guys, if you couldn't tend to your studies while dating a girl that's your problem. I had a girlfriend for the first three years of undergrad, and I think I did alright. Just because the relationship is over doesn't mean you get to blame her. You made a choice.

I have been with my girlfriend for six years, and I am making it. When I say girlfriend I mean blow up doll, and when i say making it, i mean bipolar angry drunk with no job. Things seem to be looking up though.