Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

If you were to get an amazing Step I score = match ANY residency as IMG?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by reree17, Aug 6, 2011.

1. reree17

Pre-Medical
    Say 250+ on Step I, and you're an IMG, does that mean you can get into any competitive residency such as derm or optho, even if you didn't have research etc.?

Just out of interest.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe that people have posted IMG match stats before, and there were no matches for either of those specialties, with or without research.

So you're aware, the average matriculant for Derm these days has a 243. There are only about 300 spots nation wide, which means every US medical school, all things being equal, matches one person into that specialty. Things like research and AOA aren't optional for Derm even at US schools, because nothing is optional for derm. People do whole Medicine residencies just to look like better candidates to derm. I'm not sure how someone from a non-US school would manage to get in no matter what was on their app, considering how few candidates from top US schools manage it.

4. IHeartNerds

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No.

5. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    With no research, no hope. With truly outstanding research you MIGHT have a shot, but again don't hold your breath. As Perrotfish said, there are far more overqualified candidates for those specialties than spots. To make it as an IMG, you would have to be simply outstanding in every respect.

6. LaFleur

LaFleur All flavor. No bite.
    5+ Year Member

As I've said before, I know it is possible, but it might be more probable for you to win the mega millions jackpot than to pull that off.

#5 LaFleur, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  7. gettheleadout

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There was a story here a while back about a guy that got ~255 on Step 1 and still couldn't match Anesthesia. He ended up in IM.

IMG kills you, sorry.

Maybe if one discovered a cure for melanoma or something, but barring that...

#6 gettheleadout, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  8. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you discovered a cure for the Mohs procedure I wouldn't go near any Dermatologists without a couple of witnesses and maybe a Kevalr vest.

9. KnuxNole

KnuxNole Sweets Addict
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Really? Isn't a 250+ creeping into the 95th percentile(considering the average is a 222)?

10. gettheleadout

Medical Student
    270+ and you're almost there, but I'd still be willing to bet that IMG status keeps them out of a lot more specialties than just the very most competitive.
    Realize though that the people matching derm, plastics, and the like are at least in the 95th percentile.

11. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, but as has been pointed out there are a couple of thousand people in the ~95th percentile each year who aren't IMGs, and only 300 spots for derm. And all of the people applying to derm have all of the boxes checked off everywhere else in their application too.

12. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    derm is overrated, pick other specialties...

13. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There was a post on here at one point that I recall seeing where someone had gotten something like a 293 on Step 1 and didn't get into anesthesia or any of his top picks. He ended up in some family practice residency if I recall correctly and it was like his 7th choices. NO ONE with a 293 ought to have to settle for less than their top choice with a score some 3 standard deviations above the mean! ...Unless they're an IMG, that is! (I'd think you have to REALLY blow your interview as a US MD student to not get into the residency of your choice with a 293 -- that's basically the equivalent of a near-perfect MCAT score -- about the same chances as someone getting a 44T.)

14. reree17

Pre-Medical
    293? Seriously? Wow. :eek:

15. gettheleadout

Medical Student
    I don't know what story you're thinking of music2doc, but above is the one I recalled.