If you were to get an amazing Step I score = match ANY residency as IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reree17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say 250+ on Step I, and you're an IMG, does that mean you can get into any competitive residency such as derm or optho, even if you didn't have research etc.?

Just out of interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Say 250+ on Step I, and you're an IMG, does that mean you can get into any competitive residency such as derm or optho, even if you didn't have research etc.?

Just out of interest.

I believe that people have posted IMG match stats before, and there were no matches for either of those specialties, with or without research.

So you're aware, the average matriculant for Derm these days has a 243. There are only about 300 spots nation wide, which means every US medical school, all things being equal, matches one person into that specialty. Things like research and AOA aren't optional for Derm even at US schools, because nothing is optional for derm. People do whole Medicine residencies just to look like better candidates to derm. I'm not sure how someone from a non-US school would manage to get in no matter what was on their app, considering how few candidates from top US schools manage it.

Members don't see this ad :)
With no research, no hope. With truly outstanding research you MIGHT have a shot, but again don't hold your breath. As Perrotfish said, there are far more overqualified candidates for those specialties than spots. To make it as an IMG, you would have to be simply outstanding in every respect.

As I've said before, I know it is possible, but it might be more probable for you to win the mega millions jackpot than to pull that off.

Last edited:
There was a story here a while back about a guy that got ~255 on Step 1 and still couldn't match Anesthesia. He ended up in IM.

IMG kills you, sorry.

I believe that people have posted IMG match stats before, and there were no matches for either of those specialties, with or without research.

So you're aware, the average matriculant for Derm these days has a 243. There are only about 300 spots nation wide, which means every US medical school, all things being equal, matches one person into that specialty. Things like research and AOA aren't optional for Derm even at US schools, because nothing is optional for derm. People do whole Medicine residencies just to look like better candidates to derm. I'm not sure how someone from a non-US school would manage to get in no matter what was on their app, considering how few candidates from top US schools manage it.

Maybe if one discovered a cure for melanoma or something, but barring that...

Last edited:
Really? Isn't a 250+ creeping into the 95th percentile(considering the average is a 222)?

250+ is a good score, but it's not some incredible unheard of score where you'll be the only one applying who's that high. The more competitive specialties actually have average scores in that vicinity.
270+ and you're almost there, but I'd still be willing to bet that IMG status keeps them out of a lot more specialties than just the very most competitive.
Really? Isn't a 250+ creeping into the 95th percentile(considering the average is a 222)?
Realize though that the people matching derm, plastics, and the like are at least in the 95th percentile.

Yeah, but as has been pointed out there are a couple of thousand people in the ~95th percentile each year who aren't IMGs, and only 300 spots for derm. And all of the people applying to derm have all of the boxes checked off everywhere else in their application too.

derm is overrated, pick other specialties...

There was a post on here at one point that I recall seeing where someone had gotten something like a 293 on Step 1 and didn't get into anesthesia or any of his top picks. He ended up in some family practice residency if I recall correctly and it was like his 7th choices. NO ONE with a 293 ought to have to settle for less than their top choice with a score some 3 standard deviations above the mean! ...Unless they're an IMG, that is! (I'd think you have to REALLY blow your interview as a US MD student to not get into the residency of your choice with a 293 -- that's basically the equivalent of a near-perfect MCAT score -- about the same chances as someone getting a 44T.)

There was a post on here at one point that I recall seeing where someone had gotten something like a 293 on Step 1 and didn't get into anesthesia or any of his top picks. He ended up in some family practice residency if I recall correctly and it was like his 7th choices. NO ONE with a 293 ought to have to settle for less than their top choice with a score some 3 standard deviations above the mean! ...Unless they're an IMG, that is! (I'd think you have to REALLY blow your interview as a US MD student to not get into the residency of your choice with a 293 -- that's basically the equivalent of a near-perfect MCAT score -- about the same chances as someone getting a 44T.)

293? Seriously? Wow. :eek:

The reason I posted this is because a great number of people who plan on going to the "BIG4" say that as long as they work hard and and score as well as, or better than, US allopathic grads that they will get what they want. Clearly this is not the case. The bias against Caribbean grads is very real and with increasing US enrollment the Match will become even more difficult.

Here we have a student who did extremely well in medical school considering they had nearly a 4.0 in basic sciences and got 248 on their STEP1. They worked as hard as they could and should have matched into SOME Gas program but did not. Yeah the person got their top choice IM program...but it wasn't their desired specialty. And its not like we are talking about Derm or NS or Ortho here.
I don't know what story you're thinking of music2doc, but above is the one I recalled.