If you were waitlisted last year, tell us about it !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were on one or more waitlists last year and never got off them, then would you mind posting how many waitlists (or, better yet, names of the schools) you were on?

Also, if you could tell me whether/not those schools were receptive to interest letters, then I'd really really appreciate it!

I ask because I've a feeling I might be headed towards the waitlist land. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my conversations with several people, my understanding is that after March 15 if you haven't heard or have interviews they are all for waitlist positions. For me this sucks because all 7 of my interviews are after this deadline. But schools must offer enough acceptances by that time to fill their class, so everyone else automatcially goes onto a waitlist or is rejected.

I don't think that's totally correct. Many schools like Yale and Harvard have yet to send out their initial batch of acceptances. Also, Hopkins and Cornell have not completely filled their class yet, and have interviewed after March 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
nray, this year is different and the deadline has moved from March 15 to first week of April. So many schools haven't yet met their quota to fill their classes.

the official AMCAS date this year in 3/29, however, i am not even sure this date will make. as stated so many times before, this year has has its share of trials, so things are backed-up a great deal.

What does the 3/29 deadline really mean? For example if a class size is 200 but requires about 400 acceptances to fill class does that mean the school should have 200 acceptances by then or does it mean it should have 400?

Sorry if this question sounds sort of stupid but my understanding is that almost all schools accept at least 2X there class size.

I think it means that a class with 200 spots has to offer at least 200 acceptances by the deadline, so it's definately possible that many acceptances will be given after this deadline.

I could be wrong though, so if anyone knows better...

they say "at lest equal to the class size" I read that as if they have 200 seats then they have made 200 offers. Oh and rush isn't there yet either.

I read elsewhere on SDN that someone spoke to the admissions office at UCSF about this. Apparently they will be sending out actual acceptances April or May or maybe even into June. As I understand it many schools send out outright acceptances until they hit the 200% mark (or whatever number of acceptances they need to fill the class). Everyone else gets rejected or goes on the waitlist.

Of course, this is just hearsay. I also think that some schools do this differently. Best thing to do is to get somebody to call the school you're interested in. -- SarahL

C'mon, guys - you have completely derailed this thread from the original topic!!! :rolleyes: :)
But thanks for posting, though. :D

So I'm going to ask again. If you were waitlisted last year, please post how many wailists you were on, which schools, and whether/not schools seemed receptive to letters of interest or additional support materials.

(notice I've changed the topic name)

bump (for the last time)

Can someone respond to Otter's original question PLEASE? I'm soo afraid now that even with 6 or more waitlists I won't have any place to go this fall. :mad: