If you weren't going to medical school you would....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by liberaeas
Star in Broadway Musicals! I have been a music major for the past 3 years (along with slowly taking the med school prereqs) and only last month decided to switch to a bio major and do a music minor. I love singing, and have always though it would be awesome to be in Les Mis, Phantom, Ragtime, and many other wonderful broadway shows. (whether I'm good enough or not is another question, but this is a fantasy thread anyways...) Just out of curiousity, are there any other sdners who are also musical theater dorks? In between rounds of studying physics and orgo I sit around and sing showtunes on the piano. And mom wonders why I don't have a girlfriend....:D :D :D

I'm a theather dork! although i don't like acting, i'd be the girl in the pit. that's where i love it the most. i also don't have much of a singing voice, but give me an instrument and i'm all set. i love listening to show tunes, and playing them on the piano. i've seen so many broadway shows, i can't keep track of them (it helps that i live a short train ride away and most shows have student discounts). we should put on an sdn show sometime, we can all meet and produce it and get actors and musicians and crew people, and how cool would that be? we could send all money to charity or something too, so more people would come out to see a bunch of premed geeks on stage.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How I decided to go into medicine in the first place was that I wanted to be a therapist because I am really interested in the treatment of mental illness, and I love talking to other people on ways to increase one's quality of life. I also love human physiology/anatomy/illness and I thought it would be so awesome to have the knowledge that physicians have, so I thought why not Psychiatry. From my own experience in the mental health profession and from talking to others in this field, most psychiatrists do not have a lot of good bedside manner and are not therapists. They talk to the patients for like 5 min.s, all yes/no questions and prescirbe some med.s. If I became a psychiatrists I would definately incorporate therapy into my practice.

So, one thing I think I would be if I wasn't going to become a physician, is a psychotherapist.

But there's tons of other things that I'd love to do:
-apply to UCLA's film school and become a director
-go to a fashion school and start my own clothes line
-get a PhD in American History and become an educator

Originally posted by musiclink213
we should put on an sdn show sometime, we can all meet and produce it and get actors and musicians and crew people, and how cool would that be? we could send all money to charity or something too, so more people would come out to see a bunch of premed geeks on stage.

Awesome idea!! "SDN on Stage" or somthing like that. That way we could prove to people that we don't JUST think about science grades/lor/ec/mcat/etc, although the only reason I'm honestly considering this is because I'm wondering what it would look like to have "Founder, 'SDN on Stage'" on my app... j/k... sort of...

What show would you want to do? I'd say "Urinetown," if you haven't seen it, it's super funny... either that or "The Full Monty," which is really fun as well. :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by crazy250
pitch for boston red sox so i can be the number 3 starter after curt schillling and pedro martinez

you could probably be the #4 starter, DON'T FORGET
DEREK LOWE is the #3 starter!

Originally posted by liberaeas
Awesome idea!! "SDN on Stage" or somthing like that. That way we could prove to people that we don't JUST think about science grades/lor/ec/mcat/etc, although the only reason I'm honestly considering this is because I'm wondering what it would look like to have "Founder, 'SDN on Stage'" on my app... j/k... sort of...

What show would you want to do? I'd say "Urinetown," if you haven't seen it, it's super funny... either that or "The Full Monty," which is really fun as well. :D :D :D

urinetown is on my list of what to see this break. we could always do Rent, or a classic like Phantom or Les Mis, but then we can't put it on in NY, cause you;re not allowed to put on a show that's already on broadway if you live in NYC. in high school, we did Once Upon A Mattress, that was really funny.

This is a cool thread. I would probably try to get into a PhD program someplace. If that didn't work, I'd use my MBA and work in international health, and finally finish the cello CD I'm recording and the book I'm writing. Oh yeah, and play in the SDN orchestra. :)

Honestly, I would have been an astronaut/space explorer. I loved learning about astronomy when I was a kid.

I would just reapply.

I tried a lot of majors in college, and I can't imagine doing anything else.

These were my Plan B's in no particular order:

1) PhD in mucosal immunology
2) Take a few years off to learn coding then do a masters in biomedical informatics
3) Masters in secondary and tertiary education and work in a med school admissions team.
4) Open up coffee shop that sells Acai bowls near the beach and have open mic every week.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd be working at a web based start-up or opening a bakery. Still might do both of those. Life is long!

Last edited:
Advance in the lab.... maybe transfer into Microbiology and get a Masters in Public Health. Pay would be decent, still you don't know unless you end up in that situation. Best just to have a plan just in case.

Id strongly consider podiatry if i dont get in, DPM has a lot of the same aspects that i like in MD or DO, and WAY less competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd work minimum wage jobs flipping burgers at McDonalds to fund my expensive otaku habits.

And while I'm working I can enlighten the rest of the staff all about the biochemistry that goes on when I cook dem patties.

In no particular order:
- Occupational Therapy
- Start up a coffee shop
- Try to land a job in NPR/one of their podcasts
- Play guitar or be a guitar tech for a legit band and go on tour around the world!

Wow, I was in 5th grade when this thread was made. I always wonder what the original posters are doing with their lives now...

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be a graphic novelist. I love to draw and write. I have a collection of story ideas and concept art laying dormant since high school.

Yeah, what are the original OPs doing now? Be cool to find out
I would, in no particular order
- work on an oil rig for about 10 years
- play soccer professionally (always been my dream)
- make a business about traveling the world and get sponsored for trips!
- be a movie critic

I'd be a professional lacrosse player!
haha just kidding i play DIII :rolleyes:

I would get my PhD in theoretical physics, invent a time machine, and forever live in the year 2010. That was an awesome year.

I'd work minimum wage jobs flipping burgers at McDonalds to fund my expensive otaku habits.

And while I'm working I can enlighten the rest of the staff all about the biochemistry that goes on when I cook dem patties.

I'm guessing 95-99% of McDonald's staff don't give a rat's a** about biochem in the kitchen, you may need to try elsewhere :cat:

I would get my PhD in theoretical physics, invent a time machine, and forever live in the year 2010. That was an awesome year.

hahaha why was that an awesome year?

I would attempt do one of the following: attain advanced degrees in physics, write novels, or go dental school.
There is so much to do in this world..

Go back to making 200k a year.

Hah, I wished.

Either:

1. Take the GMAT and attempt to get into the best business school possible for a Masters in Finance.
or
2. Become a police officer.

An unattainable dream of mine has always been to play my violin for a professional orchestra.

I think what I would actually do is become a physical therapist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I was in 5th grade when this thread was made. I always wonder what the original posters are doing with their lives now...

If you really want to know you can PM them. It might take them a few weeks or years to respond since they aren't daily users.

Teacher of police officer. Maybe own my own gym. Or investment advisor. Yeah I know, all random.

"Or become a pilot"
Oh yea, that too!
Edit: sorry, im a failed quoter

Go into nonprofit mental health advocacy. :)

Since I am still technically pre-med, it is still up in the air for me. If I do not obtain a seat to medical school, I will probably become a medical malpractice attorney (for plaintiffs).

Well, I have no acceptances (yet...?) so the question for me might start with : "Since you're not going to medical school..."

I would (will?) try to get into a PhD program in clinical psychology. You get the privilege of being let into people's minds, experience vulnerability and joy with them, and help them lead more fulfilling lives. Amazing.

If not, I'd write crappy novels and work for a nonprofit saving animals.

I'd either get a PhD in physics or physical chemistry or get an MPH and try to work for WHO. Anything that allows me to travel a lot, I think the ability to be mobile while I am young is the biggest sacrifice I am making professionally by choosing medicine; just me though.

Hopefully Doctors Without Borders is in my future :)

Well, I have no acceptances (yet...?) so the question for me might start with : "Since you're not going to medical school..."

I would (will?) try to get into a PhD program in clinical psychology. You get the privilege of being let into people's minds, experience vulnerability and joy with them, and help them lead more fulfilling lives. Amazing.

If not, I'd write crappy novels and work for a nonprofit saving animals.

Hahaha, I love your back up plan! The bolded part is awesome. :laugh: :thumbup: