If you weren't to become a doctor, what would you go into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xypathos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find a thread that matched what I wanted to ask ... so here goes.

If you weren't to become a doctor, say you had no interest in medicine at all --- what would you go into as your career? Essentially, what is your backup?

Personally, I'd want to become a priest.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a quick search and didn't find a thread that matched what I wanted to ask ... so here goes.

If you weren't to become a doctor, say you had no interest in medicine at all --- what would you go into as your career? Essentially, what is your backup?

I'd do mission work...and most likely be an advocate for health care access for people in underdeveloped countries.

Investment Banking

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure I could go into anything with my 4.0... :sleep:

Used car sales.

Priest? Interesting. I was working in Mexico with a former priest who is now a surgical resident. Conversely my (protestant) youth pastor didn't make it into med school.

Me? I'd go for my Pharm D. Ever since I took a class in medicinal chemistry I've fallen in love with it. And unlike most folks on SDN, I wouldn't bother with some reject Post-Bac program, or apply again later - I'd move on with my life, if Med School isn't in my cards, this year or at all.

I'd actually become a lawyer and sue doctors... :sleep:

Priest? Interesting. I was working in Mexico with a former priest who is now a surgical resident. Conversely my (protestant) youth pastor didn't make it into med school.

Me? I'd go for my Pharm D. Ever since I took a class in medicinal chemistry I've fallen in love with it. And unlike most folks on SDN, I wouldn't bother with some reject Post-Bac program, or apply again later - I'd move on with my life, if Med School isn't in my cards, this year or at all.

Seriously... I think med school is in your cards... I've seen you MDapps profile.

*Shudder* This was an actual question on the UMass secondary. I'd go into publishing...which is what I did back before rebounding to premed. :)

Booh unsolicited GPA sharing.

He does it everywhere, and he only did it this time b/c I got onto him in another thread :) But it's ok, I'm just messing with him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Open up my own sports-specific personal training gym.

Actually, I'd become a priest, too. Still might, after medical school.

The trinity of Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer.

Maybe I was brainwashed by my parents... But, maybe I was not.

Honestly, the three professions all share some qualities that I find very appealing (challenging careers, dynamic work, very intellectual work, and they are all a service to society) and I could be happy working as any of them.

I'd be a history professor.

ew. been there done that. :thumbdown: haha, love the history part, hate the professor part :laugh: more power to ya

in all honesty, I'm working on my plan B right and the options aren't real plentiful for me. I'm thinking nurse midwife or nurse anesthesist. If I couldn't do anything medical at all? In an ideal world, farmer (like my dad) and in the real world I will probably wind up working at some job where I wear a suit and do something it takes ten minutes to explain. my kids will be the ones who say "my dad is an architect and my mom is a businessman"

The trinity of Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer.

Maybe I was brainwashed by my parents... But, maybe I was not.

Honestly, the three professions all share some qualities that I find very appealing (challenging careers, dynamic work, very intellectual work, and they are all a service to society) and I could be happy working as any of them.

wow, are you asian?

phD in some type of science field, most likely chem or molecular bio. and then become a prof just so that I can hire grad students to do my scut work.

i'd start a hedge fund...after a brief stint at goldman or bear to beef up my street cred. i'd make a pile of money, and then become a philanthropist/middle school teacher. during all of this, i would be constantly reapplying to medical school :laugh:

Did you apply to Baylor for early decision or something?

I would become a writer.

either a catholic priest or a naughty little catholic school boy. :laugh: :laugh:

a musician or a counselor

full time bum

phd in pharmacology and working for nih in bethesda, md (yes, i have looked into this way too much- almost picked out a house there too :D )

obviously law focusing on malpractice cases.

as a sidebar, would anyone go into nursing??? I couldnt do it after what I've seen of nursing as a volunteer/shadower

Did you apply to Baylor for early decision or something?

I would become a writer.

Nope, but somewhat early (note my timeline on MDApplicants).

Anyway, so this is something I've been wondering about if this question comes up in interviews. So, if I don't get in this season, I really don't see myelf going to the Caribbean or a post-bac program - I'd take it that I wasn't supposed to be a doctor and move on.

But if I answer that I'd, say go for my PharmD., if I didn't get in, in an interview, would they take it as a sign that I wasn't driven enough? I think it's great to see everyone elses interests rather than a stock answer of "I'd reapply"

obviously law focusing on malpractice cases.

as a sidebar, would anyone go into nursing??? I couldnt do it after what I've seen of nursing as a volunteer/shadower

My mom did --- she said she feels she's more of a use in the hospital and to the patients that way. She doesn't like a lot of the doctors in hospitals anyway b/c they have a very stand offish attitude and constantly say "I don't have the time to be bothered with this" to which she and the other nurses reply "Yea, nor the time to even be a halfass decent doctor"

Anyway, that was back when she was at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem. She opened her own clinic with another doctor she really did like and they run it with other FNPs.

Nope, but somewhat early (note my timeline on MDApplicants).

Anyway, so this is something I've been wondering about if this question comes up in interviews. So, if I don't get in this season, I really don't see myelf going to the Caribbean or a post-bac program - I'd take it that I wasn't supposed to be a doctor and move on.

But if I answer that I'd, say go for my PharmD., if I didn't get in, in an interview, would they take it as a sign that I wasn't driven enough? I think it's great to see everyone elses interests rather than a stock answer of "I'd reapply"

Just don't tell them you'de quit after the first try. You'de be better off to preface your answer with "assuming I reapplied over and over and couldn't get in...", because I know there definitely are adcomms who would be hesitant to admit someone who would be equally happy doing something else.

I'd be a teacher, I think. I will avoid using this engineering degree at all costs

Prolly a teacher. I think I'd rather teach at a college/university than at highschool. Though I like showing others what I know, I'm not going to hold hands and drag people through coursework.

Interpreter for the United Nations.

Hey everybody,
I have a question. I am 26 years old and have never been to college. I dropped out of school when I was 16, because my mother got sick with Hep C and could not work any longer, so I had to go to work and take care of us. I cared for her the last 10 years and she just passed away. Every since she got sick, I went mad studying to find out all of the information that I could about liver disease. I have always been intrigued with science and medicine. I went back and got my GED and now have the money and time to go on to college. I want to be a doctor so bad that I can taste it. People are telling me that I probably would not make it, but I think that I can. I am not a dumb person, I made straight A's in school, I just had to quit because I didn't want my family to starve! My question is, do any of you think that I am being realistic in wanting to pursue a career in medicine? I know that probably having a GED will hurt me, but I know I can understand the material. Should I even try? I just want someone to give me an unbiased opinion. Thanks.

I'd go into freelance photography and traveling....guess I'd have to marry well to support such a career!!! Definitely relief work fo sho!

Maybe get a phD...teach.....

Hey everybody,
I have a question. I am 26 years old and have never been to college. I dropped out of school when I was 16, because my mother got sick with Hep C and could not work any longer, so I had to go to work and take care of us. I cared for her the last 10 years and she just passed away. Every since she got sick, I went mad studying to find out all of the information that I could about liver disease. I have always been intrigued with science and medicine. I went back and got my GED and now have the money and time to go on to college. I want to be a doctor so bad that I can taste it. People are telling me that I probably would not make it, but I think that I can. I am not a dumb person, I made straight A's in school, I just had to quit because I didn't want my family to starve! My question is, do any of you think that I am being realistic in wanting to pursue a career in medicine? I know that probably having a GED will hurt me, but I know I can understand the material. Should I even try? I just want someone to give me an unbiased opinion. Thanks.

My wife dropped out of highschool due to family issues, also. She recieved her GED and an associates degree from community college. While working on her associates she becames an EMT then paramedic. She applied and got into a PA program on the first try. After working with doctors, nurses, PA's, and NP's she only wanted to be a PA(she wants to have all the fun, but doesn't want all the responsibility). Even though the program she applied to gets thousands of applications and only accepts 24 students, she made it in. So it is possible to get into a medical career with only a GED.

Plus if you want to be a doctor, mecial schools only really care about your performance in your undergraduate years. They don't ask for your highschool GPA, so if you perform well in undergraduate, study and score well on the MCAT's, and participate in meaningful EC's you will be on the level with everyone else. In addition, you will have a great story to meld into a personanl statement about overcoming hardship and being dedicated to medicine.

Hey everybody,

I think you should go for it...

If I didn't get into medical school I would stick with the paramedic/firefighter thing. Get a full-time job as a firefighter continue to advance through the ranks.

I would probably write my own Med School prep book and make a few G's. Maybe start my own restaurant.

Hey everybody,

I think you should go for it too. Schools like people with diverse backgrounds.

just curious though, why did you choose this thread to share your story... there are lots of "what are my chances?" threads out there.