If you weren't to become a doctor, what would you go into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd probably go into forensic psychology, and then after working a few years, apply to the FBI.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry the reason, I chose this thread is because it was the first one that I came across.

My friend said if i don't get into a medical school this year, there's already a back-up career for me.

A writer hA!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend said if i don't get into a medical school this year, there's already a back-up career for me.

A writer hA!!!

I would also continue to write either as a doctor or priest --- but journalism writing, or even travel writing. I like to goof around and write short stories but I much more so like to write as a journalist or even a speech writer.

Assuming I had the appropriate abilities, I'd probably write for the New Yorker or the New York Times.

To write is to learn the human condition, right Pk? ;)
-Dr. P.

id get my pharm D and teach.... and discover the cure of cancer thus this way I'd be helping the whole world rather than just a couple of people who come see as their doctor

I'm planning on a BS in Criminal Justice at the moment, so imagine I'd try to get into criminal investigations. I like writing and tried journalism already - didn't like it. Just not into relating the news.

Fighter pilot. Although I think there are height restrictions involved. :cool:

:) Funny, I'd want to be a fighter pilot too... my brother is doing that... :) (USAFA)

Id be on stage, covered in baby oil, slapping women with my ... [Elephant Sound effect]

I love history, geology and astronomy, so I'd probably attempt to get a PhD in one of those fields--probably geology, but maybe history--and try and become a professor.

I also love to write, but I don't have much aptitude for writing anything too remote from science papers/essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Priest? Interesting. I was working in Mexico with a former priest who is now a surgical resident. Conversely my (protestant) youth pastor didn't make it into med school.

Me? I'd go for my Pharm D. Ever since I took a class in medicinal chemistry I've fallen in love with it. And unlike most folks on SDN, I wouldn't bother with some reject Post-Bac program, or apply again later - I'd move on with my life, if Med School isn't in my cards, this year or at all.

yeah f*ck those reject post bac programs.
And for that matter - everyone who reapplies :sleep: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

teacher or professional sports...either tennis or golf

biological psychology. Hopefully research and clinical practice. Hell, if things don't happen how they should this year, it may well be a reality.

Hey everybody,
I have a question. I am 26 years old and have never been to college. I dropped out of school when I was 16, because my mother got sick with Hep C and could not work any longer, so I had to go to work and take care of us. I cared for her the last 10 years and she just passed away. Every since she got sick, I went mad studying to find out all of the information that I could about liver disease. I have always been intrigued with science and medicine. I went back and got my GED and now have the money and time to go on to college. I want to be a doctor so bad that I can taste it. People are telling me that I probably would not make it, but I think that I can. I am not a dumb person, I made straight A's in school, I just had to quit because I didn't want my family to starve! My question is, do any of you think that I am being realistic in wanting to pursue a career in medicine? I know that probably having a GED will hurt me, but I know I can understand the material. Should I even try? I just want someone to give me an unbiased opinion. Thanks.

Hello sweetpeabarb,

It really is possible to embark upon a medical career with your credentials.........Take me for example, I was educated in Baltimore City Public Schools (BTW NO ONE SHOULD PUT THEIR KIDS THERE! EVER!), which has been ranked the worst school system in the United States (any objections?....I thought not..). Anyway, my parents didnt really consider where we should attend high-school to prepares us for college .....but then again they just wanted me to get out of high-school......So when I was 15, I dropped (myself) out of school and begin to study for the GED.....I must say that was ine of the best decisions I've ever made......I recieved my diploma 2 weeks after turning 16 and immediately enrolled in a good enough university......I knew what I wanted and didnt give a damn who didnt want me to have it..lol.....So of course I felt a bit out of place, seeming that most (if not all) students were coming directly from high school....I caught on big time though......And now I am in my senior year applying to medical school with a very good chance of getting into many of the schools I've aplied to. So Go for it, and believe me, if you want it bad enough, It'll show......

Health policy work, ideally with a think-tank rather than the government directly.

I did a quick search and didn't find a thread that matched what I wanted to ask ... so here goes.

If you weren't to become a doctor, say you had no interest in medicine at all --- what would you go into as your career? Essentially, what is your backup?

Personally, I'd want to become a priest.

Wildlife photographer

Clandestine operations or weapons analyst for the CIA

Lumberjack......If I can't get to cut people, at least I can cut trees.

Chocolate Conisseur (sp?). :D

biological psychology. Hopefully research and clinical practice. Hell, if things don't happen how they should this year, it may well be a reality.

You're totally getting in. Stop stressing!

If I couldn't be a doctor I'de start a brewery and run a bar/restaurant. I would then make these into a popular chain. I would then invest my money in a vineyard up in wine country, where I would retire in what would appear in many respects to be quite "Don Corleone" in fashion.

I've always had a strong interest in engineering. I wanted to work for NASA and design/build satelites or work on the space shuttle. :)

Probably do exactly what I'm going to do with an M.D., except I'd have a Ph.D. and have to collaborate with an M.D. I want to get into neuroscience research and psychiatry.

Surf Ninjitsu

surfninjas.jpg

I'd be a mom

archaeology...or forensics

professional bungie jumper. Are there these people?

maybe, but id be willing to bet they never get a break.

You're totally getting in. Stop stressing!

If I couldn't be a doctor I'de start a brewery and run a bar/restaurant. I would then make these into a popular chain. I would then invest my money in a vineyard up in wine country, where I would retire in what would appear in many respects to be quite "Don Corleone" in fashion.

Thanks. And if start a winery, I'll come and drink all your zinfandels.

Medical Illustrator or Freelance Graphic Design

School bus driver. But seriously don't you guys have majors that will get a good job if you don't get into medical school?

I did a quick search and didn't find a thread that matched what I wanted to ask ... so here goes.

If you weren't to become a doctor, say you had no interest in medicine at all --- what would you go into as your career? Essentially, what is your backup?

Personally, I'd want to become a priest.

I'd probably look into architecture.
However, considering that's a five year program and I'm already 25,
I'd more likely use all my premed background and apply to MPH programs.

Probably be a teacher or something. I wanna contribute to the dowhill trend in the public school system.

I'd join the peace corp. Actually, I probably still will later on.

Start a business. Invent things. Mechanical engineer for a bit.

do it!! if you want it, go for it, and screw anybody who tries to stop you. i don't see how having a GED (and valid reasons for pursuing that, like having a family) puts you back--if anything, it shows initiative. plus, once you get your bachelors and prove you can handle the medical school prerequisites, no one cares you got a GED--they care that you handled the college courses!! do it--if you don't, you may regret it, and nobody likes the 'what if' game :)

oh, and i'll go into forensics if i don't get into medicine. Crime labs, crime scenes, toxicology, etc--all quite fascinating! Maybe i watch Law & Order too much :laugh: but it's always been my backup. hey, i gotta do something with my degree in chemistry

It is harder to get in to the FBI.

Not really, they've been hiring like crazy lately --- yes, it's rough, but if you have the background they want, can speak a language they need, and are willing to relocate at their slightest suggestion ... not terribly hard. I now have two very close friends serving in the FBI, one as a translator and the other in CAC (Crimes Against Children), the latter wants to go to Counterterrorism where they have more fun, but he also likes what he's doing now to help children.

Thought he does admit that if you want into Counterterrorism or Counterintelligence, expect to wait for a year or two and for them to contact everyone you know (even people you've forgotten about) to find anything potentially bad about you.