If you won a $500 million lottery jackpot, would you still be premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glassesvar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, why or why not? What would you do instead if not?

Members don't see this ad.

No chance. So many better ways to help people

Reactions: 2 users
Still would do it......and do pro bono medical work! Maybe.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! All the learning and other life experiences I'd get from being a doctor would be priceless- literally no amount of money can replace them.
I'd actually take some of that $500m to pay for my med school apps lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I had half a billion dollars I wouldn't do anything. I'd have my servants carry me from room to room, feed me, close my eyes when I need to blink, etc.

Jk. Honestly, probably not. I'd probably be a perpetual student though lol. I'd have like 10 MAs in random subjects like lingustics or Asian studies. $500,000,000 is an obscene amount of money, though. I'd probably donate like 90% of it to medical research, charities, etc. Heck, I'd probably fund a few med students on top of it and have a way bigger impact than being a doctor myself (50 med students at $300k would only be $15,000,000, plenty left over for other charitable endeavors!).

Reactions: 7 users
Absolutely. I would not be a good money manager/non-profit executive/financial analyst and I know I would be a better doctor than a philanthropist. I would probably put 90% of that money in a trust and hire some good people to manage it and distribute it to a variety of organizations. But what I want to do is to feel challenged and create personal connections so I would still pursue being a doctor. Although I would have a lot less stress knowing I won’t have any debt.

Ha. Nice try, adcom...

But seriously: Likely not. I am passionate and am looking forward to medicine but I feel I could do more good elsewhere with that money

Reactions: 10 users
Hmm interesting...for those of you who answered yes (would still be premed), what if I changed it from you get $500 million only if you do not go to med school...in other words med school OR $500 million, which would you choose?

• Wow
  • Care
Hmm interesting...for those of you who answered yes (would still be premed), what if I changed it from you get $500 million only if you do not go to med school...in other words med school OR $500 million, which would you choose?
$500 million. There are so many ways to fund existing medical research and non-profit organizations to help people. I would also go to business school and learn smart ways to invest to double that to a billion in 10 years.

I mean in an either or situation I would have to take the money. There’s a lot that I could do with that money, much more impact than I could do alone. I would still take a hands off approach, even though I have a business background, because there are financial planners who could help growth this money and make it last into perpetuity much better than I could hope to. I would probably still get some sort of job because I like the structure of having something to do but it might be a more “fun” career like a face painter or florist.

Is it pre-tax or post-tax?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cayman Islands!!
if you win lotto in US, you end up paying taxes on the winnings. After that you can move to Cayman Islands to save on capital gains.

Yeah definitely, Id get the education and then fund myself to travel the world and volunteer at local clinics

Y'know, this question is a good method to check the verity in someone's choice to be a doctor... ;)

Some y'all just in it for da $$$ (lol jk pls don't get furious XD....)

For me, if I won a $500 million lottery (won't be that much anyway due to Uncle Sam putting his hand in the pot as well), I'd still be pre-med, because it's a profession I chose for non-financial reasons.

When did anyone fix federal budget? Both parties are spenders unfortunately.

That's like drawing equivalence between Mr. Rogers and Dean Corll.

US-National-Debt-GDP-graph.png

• Love
Not a premed,

But at any point in time, if I were offered / won / inherited that much money, I would 100% would not have continued to pursue medical school or finish medical school.

I would donate it to a medical school and get them to change their name after me, haha!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I would continue to teach, but establish a scholarship fund for my students ($500 million would probably allow for a free ride for at least two years of education in perpetuity) and establish an Endowed Chair for myself.

I would continue to teach, but establish a scholarship fund for my students ($500 million would probably allow for a free ride for at least two years of education in perpetuity) and establish an Endowed Chair for myself.
How much will you keep for yourself?

If I had half a billion dollars I wouldn't do anything. I'd have my servants carry me from room to room, feed me, close my eyes when I need to blink, etc.

this but unironically