If you won the lottery, would you still want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
;)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I'd prob just pay for my entering new classes full tuition too. Anonymously.

I'm sure future doctors would make completely different career choices if they weren't tied down financially from the get go.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but I would spend lots of money on health causes such as funding women's health clinics.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes and with my winnings I would be able to go to school for free, live in a sweet apartment and have a nicer car than I have now.

:greedy:

If I won a few million dollars, yeah I'd still become a doctor. But with $1 billion... I'm not sure I could make myself work another day in my life :zip:

SOMEONE GIVE ME THE NUMBERS FML

I was actually just thinking about this the other day, and I think I would. I want to achieve fulfillment and be respected for what I do, and the work I put in. Not because I had it given to me by buying a ticket. Money ≠ happiness.

Reactions: 8 users
ugh back to Physics

Yes. I would probably use that on my top choice to try to get it named after me.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. And I would build a new wing at whatever top 20 I wanted to attend.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SO ANNOYED. I picked quickpick numbers because I thought picking birthdays of my family would be dumb.... 4 of them were birthdays. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

nah i'd get my md but not go to residency

Nopenopenopenope

Being a billionaire physician basically makes you a pinata for malpractice attorneys, given that you'd be making well over eight figures a year in interest. Not worth painting a target on your back for, nor spending 10+ years of your life on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Nopenopenopenope

Being a billionaire physician basically makes you a pinata for malpractice attorneys, given that you'd be making well over eight figures a year in interest. Not worth painting a target on your back for, but spending 10+ years of your life on.
Interesting point

Reactions: 1 user
CYpzlOBWMAQa-NS.jpg:large

Reactions: 26 users
I definitely would be able to, and would also be able to work with Doctor's Without Borders, worry free.
At the same time, I could also burn through my 20s working for a PhD in Physics, while living the life of a Saudi playboy.
If it were the billion lottery, I would still be some kind of Dr. though it may not be a Medical Doctor.

I'm sticking to scratch offs. Dad f just won $2k for the 15th time.

If there are adcoms looking here, heck yeah! If there aren't, prolly not I'd just enjoy being in the 3 comma club.

@Mad Jack, I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg's wife (Dr Pricilla Chan) is going to actually practice? She just finished her residency last year at UCSF. I would imagine she's not going to set up a practice.

@Mad Jack, I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg's wife (Dr Pricilla Chan) is going to actually practice? She just finished her residency last year at UCSF. I would imagine she's not going to set up a practice.
Didn't they give away all of their money?

Someone in California won it! Hoping it goes to someone who needs it. :)

"money can't buy happiness, but it could buy me a boat"

Reactions: 5 users
There have been many studies that show diminishing returns on happiness, difficulty of parenting, etc. when it comes to money.

Perhaps, but there are no diminishing returns on bacon*

*except heart disease, cancer, coronary artery disease, and other things

Reactions: 5 users
I definitely would...I'd be bored off my ass doing nothing and not learning all the time. That said, I'd probably do 9-5 hours somewhere that I didn't care whether patients paid or not. Probably set up a network of women's health and primary care clinics.

There have been many studies that show diminishing returns on happiness, difficulty of parenting, values/morals, etc. when it comes to money.

Rule number 1: never have children.

Besides those are all jokes. But really, if money makes you miserable, I've got about 300k in student loans, I'd be glad to take that evil money off your hands.

I'd 100% still become a practicing physician. No doubt. I'd also pursue other degrees as well while practicing. ( PhD,J.D, MBA, etc.) I would still inevitably continue practicing but would practice completely free of charge and just live off of numerous investments.

Pursuing a career in medicine would allow me to feel like I've accomplished one of my major goals. I'd honestly feel empty/useless without at least attempting to become a physician.

Someone in the rich suburb Chino Hills won it.:rolleyes:

I was actually just thinking about this the other day, and I think I would. I want to achieve fulfillment and be respected for what I do, and the work I put in. Not because I had it given to me by buying a ticket. Money ≠ happiness.

This is my thinking.

This week when everyone was talking about the power ball, it almost always followed with quitting work after, which is kind of sad to me.

This might sound corny, but for some reason I realized this past week that at this point in my life, at my specific age (low 20s) I would not want to win the lottery. I feel like I would become the most unmotivated person ever and I would not achieve my end goal of becoming a doctor because it will be so easy to give up when times are tough (which is very frequent in medical school) knowing that I have millions of dollars to fall back on.

I do think that the powerball can be detrimental to people before a certain age or time in your life. For middle aged/elderly people, the millions can probably only be beneficial to their lives, but I think for young and ambitious people who haven't reached their peak yet, winning the millions can be harmful IN THE LONG RUN. So don't feel down for not winning, consider yourself lucky :banana:Just my 0.02c.

Reactions: 2 users
If I won the Powerball, yeah, I'd still do it. I would just use it conservatively and use a portion of it to somehow benefit society.

This week when everyone was talking about the power ball, it almost always followed with quitting work after, which is kind of sad to me.

This might sound corny, but for some reason I realized this past week that at this point in my life, at my specific age (low 20s) I would not want to win the lottery. I feel like I would become the most unmotivated person ever and I would not achieve my end goal of becoming a doctor because it will be so easy to give up when times are tough (which is very frequent in medical school) knowing that I have millions of dollars to fall back on.

I do think that the powerball can be detrimental to people before a certain age or time in your life. For middle aged/elderly people, the millions can probably only be beneficial to their lives, but I think for young and ambitious people who haven't reached their peak yet, winning the millions can be harmful IN THE LONG RUN. So don't feel down for not winning, consider yourself lucky :banana:Just my 0.02c.
Have you watched the show, "The Lottery Ruined My Life" or something like that? It seems to be a curse to almost all, most of them older.

Funny- I'd be more motivated than ever, to do so many things, and none of them related to medicine. I enjoy medicine, but given the choice? I'd pursue a PhD in astrophysics and try to be the next Carl Sagan/Neil DeGrass Tyson.

Ugh, I just wanted to win so I can buy some Givenchy high top sneakers! But no, seriously, I would still be a pursue medicine. At least at that point I don't have to worry so much about debt and not matching :link::bigtears::X3::sick:

Have you watched the show, "The Lottery Ruined My Life" or something like that? It seems to be a curse to almost all, most of them older.
I've never watched it but I heard about it, and it just makes sense that it would eventually happen. You can even use plenty young rich celebrity kids as an example. Or even young rich kids that aren't celebrities.

image.png

This curve is very important not just for bacon, but almost for everything. Malcolm Gladwell talked about how there was an initial study on how smaller class sizes were better than bigger. Next thing you know the class sizes were so small that it actually made it worse for kids. It's important to find that middle balance in everything. Too much of any good thing can almost always become bad.

P.S. Not trying to get philosophical, it's just from my observations of life :)

Of course. I just wouldn't need to worry about loans and bills.

What are you implying, OP?

Ugh, I just wanted to win so I can buy some Givenchy high top sneakers! But no, seriously, I would still be a pursue medicine. At least at that point I don't have to worry so much about debt and not matching :link::bigtears::X3::sick:

I'd spend it all on guitars and guns...but hey, to each his own!