If You Won The Lotto Today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chalklette

a child of god
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a faithful player of the lottery. I was just wondering if anyone won today would they still go school. If so why or why not? What would you do with all the money. Personally I would go and donate alot of money to my school to facilitate my education and also to keep uncle sam off my back :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely still go to school

There have been many a thread about this... but as the time to go to school draws near, I'm really looking to take "a dollar and a dream" to heart.. lol. So if I won the lottery today, I would get a lawyer and financial advisor, invest some money, pay off all of my bills, buy my mother a house, get a reliable vehicle (non-luxury type), and live somewhat comfortably while in school (that would mean a 1-bedroom apartment versus an efficient shack). :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely still go to school, I'd just live a really comfortable life while there and enjoy my breaks. :D Oh, and I'd make sure that my dad could retire ASAP. But mostly, I'd just let the money grow for a few years and decide how to spend it after residency.

for sure i would stay in school. ive been out of school for sometime and i cant wait to go back!

yea. ill help some people and family out. invest the rest. pay for tution and stuff too.

No question about it...school. I am a firm believer in the "money" does not buy happiness cliche'.

Seems like we're all on the same page here...

I'd go to school, appreciative of the fact that I wouldn't be in debt when its over. Pay off some family debts and probably take some people on a nice vacation, then invest the rest until after residency.

I would change what I specialty I'd choose. In fact, I wouldnt specialize. I'd go into family practice or preventive medicine.

I would definitely go to school, just live much more comfrotably and not have worry about money or loans.

If it is was alot of money like 100 million I would either travel around the world the rest of my life, or I might consider buying my own little island. I probably wouldn't become a doctor though. Even know it is a dream of mine, and it seems like I would enjoy the career, I would probably have more fun doing nothing and not working my ass of in school.

You gotta remember though,

money changes people.

It's easy to say right now "oh i'll still go to school..."

but i'm sure we would change a lot if we REALLY won the lotto.

like say we get to med school and have a crap load of studying to do, i'm sure many would just be tempted to say "screw it, i'm going to get on my private jet and fly to hawaii," and would just drop out.

money is an evil thang~

chalklette said:
I am a faithful player of the lottery. I was just wondering if anyone won today would they still go school. If so why or why not? What would you do with all the money. Personally I would go and donate alot of money to my school to facilitate my education and also to keep uncle sam off my back :)

i'd donate several million to the schools that accepted me off the waitlist

<wink wink>

I would still go to schoo. only b/c i will nothing else to do ALL day...counting money gets boring

Members don't see this ad :)
That's actually the reason I decided to go back.

I kept wishing I'd win the lotto so that I could quit the business world and go back to med school! I finally decided to "win" my own personal lotto and go for it!

I sure wouldn't mind having a more comfortable lifestyle during the process though... :laugh:

on an overly detailed note:

It would make a BIG difference which lotto you won. (how much $$$) Not that I'd turn down $3Million or so, but after taxes etc. you're not going to be living the life of luxury without making some additional money somewhere.

I remember hearing it once but don't recall the exact number. Anyway, the percentage of lottery "winners" who end up bankrupt is pretty shocking. :eek:

Provided I won a decent amount (double digit millions)...I would probably go into primary care and open up my own free health clinic.

I'd go. You should have made this a poll.

I suspect that most of us on SDN are the inquisitve types, the kind of people that thrive on knowledge and challange. I certainly fall into this category, and as such would attend medical school despite winning a fortune. Whether I would stress as much about being at the top of the class is a different question. I probably wouldn't be as preoccupied with securing a really competitive residency, just a spot that will train me to be a good general doc. in a needy area. Heck, I'd probably work for free and not like 341346464 hours a day.

I would definately take a break! Probably go back to school after i ran out of money.....bad gambling habits.

If I won the lotto, I probably would be more motivated to become a doctor. Without having to worry about 100K+ of debt, I would definitely do primary care and use the money to set up a big free clinic in Baltimore.

It would change nothing. I'd give a large portion to my family. When I got into Med School, I'd buy a house. I'd put the rest into a mutual fund.

No joke. I'm not Mr. Money Lover Guy.

Now that I am on the other side (ready to graduate med school this saturday), I would really consider the lotto option rather than the four year bull**** option. There are many avenues to helping others. Medicine is just the most popular one. Why? Simple: prestige, money,and power. Believe me when I say this, if your ever go to a doctors lounge in the hospital, the majority of the conversations revolve around lifestyle and money.

So, lifestyle is important to me (AND probably to most of you). Hence, i would rather not go through the bull**** and just enjoy my lotto money.

Like many of you are saying, I think my choice would be a lot easier. With a nice lotto-fortune, I would not really be worried if being a doc turned out to be a great paying job. I think overall it would just feel easier the whole time because there was not really any pressure on me.

On another note. When it's time to pay tuition, I would fan all of the money out in front of them and say,

"I'm feeling saucy . . do you accept CASH? Cha-ching!"

oo this is fun.
First, it would mean no loans and just take burden of my shoulders.

I would just be ultra comfortable in med school (nice apt, eat out, get massages post exams, etc) and not have to worry about $$ in terms of choosing a specialty etc. Basically would make more comfortable overall and open up choices.

I would never play the lotto since it's a complete waste of money and you are better off investing in things that appreciate instead of throing it away. That said, on the off chance that i did win a lot of money, I'd invest it, help my family, by my girlfriend some nice things, pay off debt, get a nice sports car, and still apply to MPH and med school.