if you won the mega million tonight for 636 million dollars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted382095

Would you still apply to medical schools and go through ~7 yrs long training to become a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Money and endless free time is great and everything, but ultimately I would feel unfulfilled.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't have to worry about loans any more so yes.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! Medicine is a vocational calling for me. The money means I could eventually pay off my under grad loans, afford med school books and tuition, and eventually open my own private clinic. Not to mention do med school in some serious style! You have NO idea all the pretty outfits I could buy!!!!

DAD I NOT DOCTOR YET, BUT HERE $1 MIRRION
ITS OK, U DON'T HAF TO BE DOCTA

I would definitely still go to med school.

I would build my own medical school and admit only myself.

Reactions: 26 users
It's easy to say yes when you have virtually no chance of having to make that decision. Let's be honest, the vast (vast, VAST) majority of people would give up on med school in a heart beat. I'm not saying I would or wouldn't, I am just saying it's impossible to know what we would do if this actually happened to any of us.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't participate in the stupid tax, however I would still become a physician. Surgery is to awesome to not go though the journey. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if I had to choose between 636 million dollars and medical school I would still choose med school ;)

Hell yes. Being middle class isn't the reason I'm going to med school, so being wealthy wouldn't be the reason I quit.

I've always been confused about how the lotteries work.. are only tickets purchased within this week good for tonight's drawing?

Megmillions and powerball (the two biggest lottery games) draw twice a week and tickets are only valid for one drawing.

To answer the original question, I would still go to medical school...but I would also immediately hire a driver and a personal chef, lol. And start pursuing that most elite of titles: philanthropist.

Reactions: 2 users
Megmillions and powerball (the two biggest lottery games) draw twice a week and tickets are only valid for one drawing.

To answer the original question, I would still go to medical school...but I would also immediately hire a driver and a personal chef, lol. And start pursuing that most elite of titles: philanthropist.

My great grandparents were landlords and philanthropists and own a hospital.....until the communist party took over..... :sendoff:

Even if I had to choose between 636 million dollars and medical school I would still choose med school ;)
Really?

You can help more people with 636 million than with one medical license. Just saying.

First I'd buy a few islands. Then I'd apply to med school.

I would buy New Zealand and pretend I lived in Middle Earth every day.

What would you do?
Use a small portion of my money to make this physically possible:

tumblr_mlcjmyszR71qjeigjo1_500.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I imagine that even constant traveling would get old after a decade or so. I would still want an interesting career that would leave me feeling like I am doing something worthwhile.

Hell no. I'd buy way into a top-5 business school and invest half the money into investment banking. Medicine is awesome and all, but if you have millions than what's the point of being a physician? If anything, I'd still try and get an M.D. with a Ph. D so I can be a medical researcher. You'd have a lot of money to throw around, it'd be much more interesting than being a physician, and you don't have to be on all type of crazy call hours; but realistically, I'd probably just invest a humongous portion of it, open some type of multi-million business, and relax.

I am not sure how long it will take to spend all those millions, but I would still look for some meaningful careers that I enjoy.

What I would do is to save that money for now, and keep doing what I am doing. I will probably need time to sit and think about how to spend that money wisely, especially since I have zero knowledge in IB and other financial options. Philanthropy will be one of ways I would spend eventually, but even then, I don't want this money to go into trustees and executives, so I would be even more careful if that's the case.

Yes. I've always wanted to be a doc.

Pulling up in a Caddy supreme Buggati-style Aston Martin drop top Phantom wouldn't be bad though.

:thinking:

I would donate a portion of the money to a med school to get it named after me. Just imagine: THE Leoz M. Jiliums School of Medicine at Harvard University. My descendants would be set for life, lol.

I'd buy 636 million dollars worth of 1 dollar things, just to return it all at Kroger.

I would totally drop out of medical school if I won that much money...

To my above... It'd be too much of a liability to practice. Regardless of specialty and the associated risk of being sued for said specialty, your rate would be infinitely higher. It would cause too much undue duress and would make your professional life miserable.

Theres a lot more you could do to help the world with ~400 million dollars than curing one cold/removing an appendix at a time.

So no, probably not, theres also a lot more fun you could have in your life than being a doctor lolz.

You people are crazy.

For the lulz, someone should post this in the general residency forum. See how many would walk away....

You people are crazy.

For the lulz, someone should post this in the general residency forum. See how many would walk away....

It's SDN though, half of them probably think adcoms are tracking them and their responses

Since I'm already knee deep in it, I'd probably finish just for finishing's sake. Other than that, I'd have no problem not being a doctor for the rest of my life and just living my days out doing nothing.

It's SDN though, half of them probably think adcoms are tracking them and their responses
I am more surprised with people picking going to medical school over getting $600 million.

Since I'm already knee deep in it, I'd probably finish just for finishing's sake. Other than that, I'd have no problem not being a doctor for the rest of my life and just living my days out doing nothing.

Knee deep? Aren't you like an MS1/2? Far from knee deep, if i was two years in and had 600 mil dropped in my lap i'd deuce deuce apple juice lolol

I'd probably forget about the degrees and just fund my own independent medical research complex complete with hospital, labs, etc.

Even more yes if I won because now I can go in style :nod:

Technically you'll actually have half of the 636 because of taxes. :)

I'd probably go into hiding so I didn't get hounded for money for the rest of my life. Winning the lottery is like the worst thing that could happen to you.