if you won the mega million tonight for 636 million dollars

Aug 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes! Money and endless free time is great and everything, but ultimately I would feel unfulfilled.

Reactions: Ailleurs

rolliespring

Gin no Samurai
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2012
Edo
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't have to worry about loans any more so yes.....

Aug 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Yep! Medicine is a vocational calling for me. The money means I could eventually pay off my under grad loans, afford med school books and tuition, and eventually open my own private clinic. Not to mention do med school in some serious style! You have NO idea all the pretty outfits I could buy!!!!

Reactions: lilronron

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
I would still go. However, I would go in a brand new Porsche ;)

pyrrion89

PGY-1, MD
May 29, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I would build my own medical school and admit only myself.
I'd also air my own medical school commercial, just like...

Apr 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
It's easy to say yes when you have virtually no chance of having to make that decision. Let's be honest, the vast (vast, VAST) majority of people would give up on med school in a heart beat. I'm not saying I would or wouldn't, I am just saying it's impossible to know what we would do if this actually happened to any of us.

swolebrah

sup
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I don't participate in the stupid tax, however I would still become a physician. Surgery is to awesome to not go though the journey. ;)

lazyindy

7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2011
New York, NY
Status
Dental Student
Even if I had to choose between 636 million dollars and medical school I would still choose med school ;)

MDOnlyWillDo

Diet Dew = elixir of life
5+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hell yes. Being middle class isn't the reason I'm going to med school, so being wealthy wouldn't be the reason I quit.

Reactions: knv2u
Apr 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I've always been confused about how the lotteries work.. are only tickets purchased within this week good for tonight's drawing?
Megmillions and powerball (the two biggest lottery games) draw twice a week and tickets are only valid for one drawing.

To answer the original question, I would still go to medical school...but I would also immediately hire a driver and a personal chef, lol. And start pursuing that most elite of titles: philanthropist.

OP
Chemistry Cat 3.0

Chemistry Cat 3.0

Cylon Model 21
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Megmillions and powerball (the two biggest lottery games) draw twice a week and tickets are only valid for one drawing.

To answer the original question, I would still go to medical school...but I would also immediately hire a driver and a personal chef, lol. And start pursuing that most elite of titles: philanthropist.
My great grandparents were landlords and philanthropists and own a hospital.....until the communist party took over..... :sendoff:

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I would buy New Zealand and pretend I lived in Middle Earth every day.

thegypsyqueen

5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I imagine that even constant traveling would get old after a decade or so. I would still want an interesting career that would leave me feeling like I am doing something worthwhile.

Aug 22, 2013
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Hell no. I'd buy way into a top-5 business school and invest half the money into investment banking. Medicine is awesome and all, but if you have millions than what's the point of being a physician? If anything, I'd still try and get an M.D. with a Ph. D so I can be a medical researcher. You'd have a lot of money to throw around, it'd be much more interesting than being a physician, and you don't have to be on all type of crazy call hours; but realistically, I'd probably just invest a humongous portion of it, open some type of multi-million business, and relax.

Reactions: snowys435

Lya

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2013
NY
Status
Medical Student
I am not sure how long it will take to spend all those millions, but I would still look for some meaningful careers that I enjoy.

What I would do is to save that money for now, and keep doing what I am doing. I will probably need time to sit and think about how to spend that money wisely, especially since I have zero knowledge in IB and other financial options. Philanthropy will be one of ways I would spend eventually, but even then, I don't want this money to go into trustees and executives, so I would be even more careful if that's the case.

La Presse

Due to the fact....
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2012
At Caillou's House.
Yes. I've always wanted to be a doc.

Pulling up in a Caddy supreme Buggati-style Aston Martin drop top Phantom wouldn't be bad though.

:thinking:

Jul 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I would donate a portion of the money to a med school to get it named after me. Just imagine: THE Leoz M. Jiliums School of Medicine at Harvard University. My descendants would be set for life, lol.

Reactions: wuzman

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Would you still apply to medical schools and go through ~7 yrs long training to become a physician?
No. And to be let out of my residency contract I'd fund the salary for an attending for the next two and a half years, at least.

Reactions: muddyduck7

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
To my above... It'd be too much of a liability to practice. Regardless of specialty and the associated risk of being sued for said specialty, your rate would be infinitely higher. It would cause too much undue duress and would make your professional life miserable.

Reactions: Frazier

Catman21

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
Status
Theres a lot more you could do to help the world with ~400 million dollars than curing one cold/removing an appendix at a time.

So no, probably not, theres also a lot more fun you could have in your life than being a doctor lolz.

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
You people are crazy.

For the lulz, someone should post this in the general residency forum. See how many would walk away....

Doctor Strange

Sorcerer Supreme
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2012
177A Bleecker Street, New York City, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Since I'm already knee deep in it, I'd probably finish just for finishing's sake. Other than that, I'd have no problem not being a doctor for the rest of my life and just living my days out doing nothing.

Catman21

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
Status
Since I'm already knee deep in it, I'd probably finish just for finishing's sake. Other than that, I'd have no problem not being a doctor for the rest of my life and just living my days out doing nothing.
Knee deep? Aren't you like an MS1/2? Far from knee deep, if i was two years in and had 600 mil dropped in my lap i'd deuce deuce apple juice lolol

neurotroph

7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
I'd probably forget about the degrees and just fund my own independent medical research complex complete with hospital, labs, etc.

Jennyfishy

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
WI
Status
Medical Student
Even more yes if I won because now I can go in style :nod:

literallybased

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd probably go into hiding so I didn't get hounded for money for the rest of my life. Winning the lottery is like the worst thing that could happen to you.