If you would be so kind to share a little about what your osteopathic curriculum offers on abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2011
San Francisco
Status
Pre-Medical
Is abortion addressed in your didactic osteopathic medical school curriculum? If so, in what lectures? Pharm, Ethics? Epidemiology? Not at all?

For those on rotations- Which rotations is it addressed in? OB/GYN? Family medicine? Surgery? None?

Last, for those in residency- Are you being trained to offer pregnancy options counseling including abortion? Perform abortion procedures?

Your political or moral take on the subject matter does not interest me one bit. Better, if you could refrain from sharing your personal thoughts on the abortion, this thread might remain viable, if even helpful. If you would be so kind as to share your osteopathic medical school experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Is abortion addressed in your didactic osteopathic medical school curriculum? If so, in what lectures? Pharm, Ethics? Epidemiology? Not at all?

For those on rotations- Which rotations is it addressed in? OB/GYN? Family medicine? Surgery? None?

Last, for those in residency- Are you being trained to offer pregnancy options counseling including abortion? Perform abortion procedures?

Your political or moral take on the subject matter does not interest me one bit. Better, if you could refrain from sharing your personal thoughts on the abortion, this thread might remain viable, if even helpful. If you would be so kind as to share your osteopathic medical school experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
From my understanding, the topic isn't touch upon in medical school curriculum with the exception of a little pharm. There won't be any exposure to this massacre until residency if you choose to pursue this awful medical practice. No one will ever force you to take any part in this.

Superman DO

Oh crap, I'm really a doctor?
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Besides maybe some drugs in pharm and ectopic pregnancy treatment, abortion has never been talked about since I've been in school.

Jul 25, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How many abortion threads do you need to start on SDN?

Ref.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-is-abortion-taught-at-your-osteopathic-med-school.1041862
How is abortion taught at your osteopathic med school?

(If you're trying to do a survey, your results will probably be similar to what has been published:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15696015
Abortion education in medical schools: a national survey.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16880299
Abortion training in United States obstetrics and gynecology residency programs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/magazine/18abortion-t.html
The New Abortion Providers)

Last edited:

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
So from the last osteopathic med school abortion thread/a few other I have come across the cliff notes are as follows:
-Some schools do teach aspects of abortion in Pharm, courses on sexuality, and I believe OB/GYN
-Some schools don't cover it at all
-On rotations you may be exposed to abortion, however if you have a moral objection you will not have to participate, however you may be asked to do some patient counseling before or after the procedure
-If you specifically want to get exposed to abortion on rotations you could probably set up one at a family planning clinic in order to get exposure - you could also contact Med Students For Choice for more information
-In an OB/GYN residency you will not be required to participate in abortion care if you have a moral objection.
-If you specifically want to be exposed to abortion care in residency you may have to seek it out or use your own vacation time.
-If abortion is important to you (on either end of the spectrum) and you do a OB/GYN residency you should do a lot of research about the residencies you try and match at, some have very different environments when it comes to abortion
-If you want more training in abortion care you can do a Family Planning Fellowship which would teach you techniques in later term abortion.

(feel free to add to this list)

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
We talked about some of the drugs used in abortions, sorta in passing though TBH.

This isn't something you're likely to get a lot of exposure to without specifically seeking it out.

Jul 25, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The procedure itself is straightforward and can now be done by PAs/NPs/CNMs in California.

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seriously? Why would you start another of the exact same thread you already had?

OP
L
Mar 1, 2011
San Francisco
Status
Pre-Medical
From my understanding, the topic isn't touch upon in medical school curriculum with the exception of a little pharm. There won't be any exposure to this massacre until residency if you choose to pursue this awful medical practice. No one will ever force you to take any part in this.
Like I said, I really don't care about your personal opinion. Just looking for some information.

Last edited:

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
The other one was littered with opinions. That was not at all what I asked about. Thought I might get an answer to my question if I gave it a second shot.
What's wrong, don't have the intelligence to read through the opinions? Information on this topic has been plentiful and starting another discussion was pointless.

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
The other one was littered with opinions. That was not at all what I asked about. Thought I might get an answer to my question if I gave it a second shot.
I see you are looking for non biased information which is understandable. However when it comes to this topic most threads derail into personal insults and nonsense due to the highly emotional nature of the abortion. I would be surprised if this doesn't end in the same way as your last thread.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician

Thank you.
I was inundated with leftist abortion propaganda on every rotation, especially peds. It would go something like this:

Mrs Jones, your 2 year old daughter is kind of a pain in the ass. I have 200 mg of morphine that we could give her to abort her.

This thread is stupid
The OP is stupid
O'doyle rules.

Reactions: michigan1212

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
O'doyle I have a feeling your whole family is goin down

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
O'doyle I have a feeling your whole family is goin down
Big surprise to see touchpause13 once again posting about abortion. So sad that someone aspiring to become a physician is determined to focus on ending life.

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for sharing your meaningful insight! Your reflective and professional response has convinced many readers to pursue new introspection.
Your ignorance towards reality should cause you to do some deep thinking.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Your ignorance towards reality should cause you to do some deep thinking.
And your contempt for the suffering of others, your likely refusal to even pretend to understand the complexity of human behavior, and your judgmental attitude just makes the world bleed Godwin all over you.
If you have a problem with abortion. Then please help women to not abort babies by creating organizations that will make the lives of inpoverished women decent, offer opportunities to unadopted children to give them advantages in life, etc.

Sorry, but you can stand on your pedestal and stone abortionists. But they save the lives of women and help many from falling apart. It is a necessary task in a society like ours and until we can provide to others it will continue to be necessary.

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
I think this just got meta
Woah

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
And your contempt for the suffering of others, your likely refusal to even pretend to understand the complexity of human behavior, and your judgmental attitude just makes the world bleed Godwin all over you.
If you have a problem with abortion. Then please help women to not abort babies by creating organizations that will make the lives of inpoverished women decent, offer opportunities to unadopted children to give them advantages in life, etc.

Sorry, but you can stand on your pedestal and stone abortionists. But they save the lives of women and help many from falling apart. It is a necessary task in a society like ours and until we can provide to others it will continue to be necessary.
Interesting, you make a bunch of claims that are factually inaccurate. Your justification of slaughtering the innocent is disgusting. The majority of abortions are not for health reasons and you know that.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Interesting, you make a bunch of claims that are factually inaccurate. Your justification of slaughtering the innocent is disgusting. The majority of abortions are not for health reasons and you know that.
And your notion that it is like going into a candy store to get an abortion? That it is whimsical?
Let's be adults here. If you want to stop abortion then fight to stop poverty, fight for the unadopted, actually do your job and care for others beyond when they are a cluster of cell

Last edited:

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
And your notion that it is like going into a candy store to get an abortion? That it is whimsical?
Let's be adults here. If you want to stop abortion then fight to stop poverty, fight for the unadopted, actually do your job and care for others beyond when they are a cluster of cell
Its close to the candy store, just bring more money. If abortion is your reasoning for slaughtering the innocent than i suggest executing the poor as well. Then the poor will be happier. What about all the abortions that have nothing to do with economics? Again, your argument fails miserably.

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, abortions are performed well past the cluster of cells stage. Do a little research.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Its close to the candy store, just bring more money. If abortion is your reasoning for slaughtering the innocent than i suggest executing the poor as well. Then the poor will be happier. What about all the abortions that have nothing to do with economics? Again, your argument fails miserably.
What color is the sky in your world? Abortions are almost entirely an economic decision ( Not even getting into the paradigm that all animal behavior is economic). Babies cost money, babies take away time from women to get education, so on. Adoptions are awful and as a person who dated an adopted kid who lived in foster homes for a huge part of his life, I can tell you the situation is awful. Kids need stimulation, they need advantages, and they need opportunities. If life is precious to you then start advocating for feeding those children!

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
@serenade
Check dat post history. I assure you there is no reasonable discussion to be had with this one. He isn't worth wasting brain cells on.

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What color is the sky in your world? Abortions are almost entirely an economic decision ( Not even getting into the paradigm that all animal behavior is economic). Babies cost money, babies take away time from women to get education, so on. Adoptions are awful and as a person who dated an adopted kid who lived in foster homes for a huge part of his life, I can tell you the situation is awful. Kids need stimulation, they need advantages, and they need opportunities. If life is precious to you then start advocating for feeding those children!
You're a fool. Just because a child cost money is not justification for its murder. The 47 million Americans on foodstamps should be slaughtered by your reasoning. All your reasons are selfish. "Entirely economic"....NO.

Do you have any statistics? Having a friend does not count.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm so sure you got a 4 on the verbal section right about now...
You legit don't understand basic discourse.

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm so sure you got a 4 on the verbal section right about now...
You legit don't understand basic discourse.
Much better than a four. Way to change the discussion, typical behavior of someone losing a debate. I think you got touchpause13 mcat confused with mine, she barely got into medical school with a low MCAT (ie...slipped through the cracks).

Jan 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I contributed to the complete and utter derailment of this thread despite OP's best efforts

And since we're getting opinionated, it is time for me to articulate my views on abortion

I personally have no problem killing baby fetuses, but the idea of letting a woman make that kind of a decision makes me uncomfortable

Reactions: preDoGuy24

michigan1212

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
No I simply am willing to accept reality. I have no right to judge these people, my job and work is to help.
Reality is these babies are murdered for selfish reasons like being inconvenient or economical reasons. Helping would be banning this procedure. Here's an idea, don't get pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.