If your Asian, is it better to NOT specifiy your ethnicity on applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think if there was open merit US medical schools will have 30-35%
South Asian students.
As I mentioned before in another post one of my friend was rejected from one of the Florida school accepting her friend with 29MCAT( her was 33 and GPA3.6). When she called the told her that they already had enough south Asian girls. Ethnicity question is definitely not to promote diversity.
this has to be impossible. Why would a school say this and open themselves up to a legal fiasco? And there are probably a 100 people (including all ethnicities and MCAT scores) that were chosen over your friend. How many times do we have to say it's not ALL about numbers? There's a million reasons they could have chosen that other person. Get over it.

Members don't see this ad.

this has to be impossible. Why would a school say this and open themselves up to a legal fiasco? And there are probably a 100 people (including all ethnicities and MCAT scores) that were chosen over your friend. How many times do we have to say it's not ALL about numbers? There's a million reasons they could have chosen that other person. Get over it.

Amen. Just because you have a higher numbers doesn't mean you deserve a spot over someone else. I'm more inclined to believe that this friend was embarrassed and just made up a story. Take responsibility for your own damn applications, people. I put down Asian, and I've gotten into 8 schools. Hasn't hurt me one bit.

So on the topic of music, why is it that Mozart and other European music is termed classical while we say that music from other countries are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
So on the topic of music, why is it that Mozart and other European music is termed classical while we say that music from other countries are not.
Classical music (in the Western sense) has a very specific way of moving, notation, timbre, etc. that sets it apart from other genres.

Unless your last name is Lee. Also, one could have been adopted by an Asian family, etc.

If anyone's interested in further readings about reverse discrimination in medicine and healthcare, Here's an interesting article.
And the bill would fund programs "to increase diversity of health professionals." Frist tells us, "These programs are critical to help health professions institutions increase the number of underrepresented minority students and faculty to achieve a culturally competent workforce."

But what about "a medically competent workforce?" I almost died in my thirties because when I asked my doctor look at a big lump in my armpit that had been there for a couple of months, he said, "It doesn't feel like a tumor. It's probably just a muscle pull." ...

What "increasing diversity" means in the real world is that more competent white and Asian applicants to medical school are rejected in favor of less competent black and Hispanic ones. Why does Bill Frist want to inflict less competent doctors on America? Ask him. I'd love to find out.

It's not as if African-American youths have never had anyone tell them to become a doctor. How many times have you seen a black kid in the ghetto being interviewed on TV and he says, "I want to be a doctor or a lawyer when I grow up." ...
Medical school affirmative action is frequently justified on the grounds that doctors who got in on a racial quota are more likely to wind up working in a minority neighborhood. This is always presented as a heroic sacrifice by the quota doctor, as if Cedars-Sinai in Beverly Hills was dying to get him, but he felt such a strong sense of racial solidarity that he instead chose to work at a VD clinic in Compton. A more realistic (if cynical) explanation for why people who wouldn't have gotten into medical school except for belonging to a privileged minority tend to end up at low paying jobs in bad neighborhoods is because they tend to be relatively lousy doctors. Under any system, crummy parts of town will get stuck with crummier doctors on the whole, but quotas mean that the worst doctors are worse than they have to be.

i'm part asian and i did not include any racial information on any of my applications because i do not feel that it would be of any benefit. i don't know if being asian is disadvantageous or not, but i didn't feel the need to risk it.

if a school wants to look to race to let me in, whatever. but i didnt feel it was a huge part of my application.