If you're reading this, let me know if its too late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vpd1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people of the internet,

Name's Vik and I'll get straight into it. Due to X circumstances, I did not do so well in my first two years of my undergrad (nothing higher than a C+), however my 3rd and 4th have been more then great (nothing lower than a B+)

In all four years I've held down a job, but my 3rd and 4th years I've gotten loads of volunteer work in my community and a retirement home, have done loads of lab work, am in the process of being published, won an award at a big biology conference, have been a lab coordinator for one of my courses and have my few letters of recommendation.

Not done yet though, I'm currently in the process of volunteering for MSF (at the head office at least), am trying to get a job at a blood lab and I'll be coming back a fifth year to boost my marks, but the most I could bump it up is to is a 2.6 cGPA.

Now what's been motivating me this whole time? My dreams of being a doctor of course, but I'm aware of the situation I'm in. I have one more year and will be writing the mcats soon (in the next 11 months! And yes I've started studying). Basically I don't know what my chances are. Remember those X circumstances, well without getting into too much detail let's just say they havnt left, but are working with me rather than against me. What do you guys think of my application?

PS I'm Canadian

Members don't see this ad.

you will require some kind of post-bac or SMP for that GPA, for DO or MD. That would be your first priority. As an international/Canadian applicant, I believe they are even more strict on GPA/MCAT.

you will require some kind of post-bac or SMP for that GPA, for DO or MD. That would be your first priority. As an international/Canadian applicant, I believe they are even more strict on GPA/MCAT.

I think I should clarify a bit more. I'm hoping to go to either a Canadian or American medical school, but I am open to the option of Caribbean medical schools.

I've amassed a total of 3 LWDs on my transcript as well (which is when you drop a course after the deadline). Lastly, could you tell me what a post-bac or an SMP is ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I should clarify a bit more. I'm hoping to go to either a Canadian or American medical school, but I am open to the option of Caribbean medical schools.

I've amassed a total of 3 LWDs on my transcript as well (which is when you drop a course after the deadline). Lastly, could you tell me what a post-bac or an SMP is ?

The search function is your friend search SMP and a lot of threads will come up.......Its a Special Masters Program......details are found through searching

Honestly, your fastest option would be to retake any F/D/C grades and apply DO. Don't go Caribbean.
You're going to need to sort out those circumstances though. If they're affecting you this much in undergrad, you might not make it through med school.

Honestly, your fastest option would be to retake any F/D/C grades and apply DO. Don't go Caribbean.
You're going to need to sort out those circumstances though. If they're affecting you this much in undergrad, you might not make it through med school.

would you say I should retake any F/D/C general science courses (eg/ chem, bio, orgo etc.) or any courses in general that I received those marks?

Also thanks for your concern, but those circumstances aren't going anywhere, so it's either I work with em or against em. Life can be stupid sometimes, but you live and learn (shoutouts to any Sonic fans)

Also, could you elaborate a bit on why the Caribbean should not be an option and I'm quite interested in a DO, but would I be able work in Canada again if I get a DO? Is there any thread you can point me to with major differences?