if you're worried about your chances then read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably the most common question on this site is "what are my chances?" I know that I certainly asked for people's honest opinion on this site more than once. Well, here is my experience that I believe will help some of you who are worried.

I had a GPA of around a 3.5 with a science GPA of around 3.2. I had a few Cs and I even got a D in biology (which I retook and got a B+ in). I went to a top university and I had an upward trend in grades. I had seven letters of recommendation, I was very involved in extracurriculars, I studied abroad and had a research paper published. I had both research and clinical experience. I studied for my mcat for 2 weeks and I got a 20 on it.

While some people on this site said that I was an average or fairly competitive applicant, many other people said that my original D in bio, several Cs, and low mcat score would serve as large obstacles in being a competitive applicant.

I got interview invitations from every school (I applied to all but the new California one). Out of the four that I chose to interview at, I was accepted to all of them. Out of the four acceptances, I was offered scholarships to three.

As an applicant, it is important to know your strengths and weaknesses but if you have a real genuine passion for podiatry, the admissions committees will recognize that. They do actually take the whole person into account, not just GPAs and mcat score.

So if you are worried about your chances, that is okay. Recognize some of the factors that you might have to explain in interviews, and also recognize the qualities that make you special.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats....what school did u choose to go to? if you don't mind me asking.

this is not a good piece of advice to people. Most people do (or should) study for months for the MCAT.

Point taken. But I am not suggesting that people don't take the mcat seriously. I wish I had more time to study but I didn't. My point is, while applicants should try their best and work very hard to get into school, this site can be disheartening sometimes. I doubted my potential as an applicant many times on this site, and I really didnt have to. People should know this.