If you've dissected people (preferably deceased) you might like this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://visiblehuman.ytmnd.com/

:cool:

It's a few years old, but not every pre-med/MD has seen it ;) It's the texas deathrow inmate that donated his body to be scanned.

Members don't see this ad.

its just a normal CT scan, but those muscles are HUGE compared to the elderly people who usually end up in my schools prosection lab. not a lot of fat either. it'd be crazy fun to cut that guy up.

mfrenkie said:
its just a normal CT scan, but those muscles are HUGE compared to the elderly people who usually end up in my schools prosection lab. not a lot of fat either. it'd be crazy fun to cut that guy up.

I'm pretty sure I saw a documentary about how they made those images. They froze the guy's body into this big ice cube and shaved off a millimeter or so between in each picture. It seemed a little gruesome, but the guy volunteered for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
you think so? i mean, it seems doable, but what would be the point if it looks so much like a ct scan?

Rainman84 said:
I'm pretty sure I saw a documentary about how they made those images. They froze the guy's body into this big ice cube and shaved off a millimeter or so between in each picture. It seemed a little gruesome, but the guy volunteered for it.

:thumbup: I think it was on the Discovery channel a while back.

Reminded me of this exhibit. :cool:

bw%2024.jpg

Has anyone here seen 'The Cell'?

cell1.jpg

Centinel said:
Has anyone here seen 'The Cell'?

cell1.jpg

I have, unfortunately.

Although it's one of the worst movies ever made and the opening music makes me want to kill myself.

But the imagery is interesting.

ethyl said:
http://visiblehuman.ytmnd.com/

:cool:

It's a few years old, but not every pre-med/MD has seen it ;) It's the texas deathrow inmate that donated his body to be scanned.

With CT scans + current volumetric workstations (e.g. terarecon), we don't really need to do this anymore.

durfen said:
With CT scans + current volumetric workstations (e.g. terarecon), we don't really need to do this anymore.
freezing and slicing up a body to scan it must be so much more fun to do though. :oops:

ethyl said:
freezing and slicing up a body to scan it must be so much more fun to do though. :oops:
Ah but you haven't used a volume rendering engine combined with a 4GB graphics card.....I'm a CS major, don't listen to me.

ethyl said:
Can you play HL2 on it? :oops:

:laugh: :laugh:...I tried with another game...didn't work. They would need to write a new driver for it, and the cost of the card is prohibitive and tightly integrated with the motherboard etc.

I actually just saw the documentary. It was pretty good. They froze the body and actually grinded off layer after layer with a sandpaper like material. I saw it last week on either HBO or Showtime On-Demand if anybody wanted to see if it was still available.

I saw something like this at the Bodies exhibit in NYC. It was fantastic - just wish I'd already had anatomy so I'd know what the hell I'm looking at. All of the stuff is real and preserved (I don't know about frozen), and some of it's really amazing. Slicing someone up doesn't seem that complicated next to basically every blood vessel in the body being separated and displayed. If any of you are around there, you should check it out (South St. Seaport).

mfrenkie said:

except for the fact that you can see fine detail in soft tissues such as the brain....

NEDM

... sorry... but that's an instant response when I see a YTMND being posted.

Anyways, I will be in the Museum of Science next week for the Body Worlds 2 exhibit. Haven't seen it before so I'm definitely looking forward to it.