IL people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just looking for people from Illinois and what they are up to right now --- status, how they compare, what schools they are going to, all the good stuff.

Good luck everyone. I applied to Mich. St. and got denied before the secondary. What's up with that?

Gumshoe

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from IL...gurnee-ghetto land (my apt was broken into yesterday $3000 loss, oh well) Broke my lease and now moving into a diff. apt...thank God!

I'm working at Abbott Labs in the cancer research program, graduated in 99 with an MS in chem, had one interview so far (UIC), and 6 rejections (I'm beginning to lose track!)

Sorry about Mich State, maybe you were over qualified.

If there are any UIUC people out there who are in Chem 331 this semester - WTF?!?!? Can I hear a shout-out for how much this sucks @$$? All are welcome to commiserate! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dpark.. im from Mchenry, IL

sophmore in college..

have almost all of the pre-reqs still to take..

Will be applying to Loyola, Rush, UIC, and UofC

Applied to IL:
UIC- interview on 9-30
Rush
NU
CMS
Loyola
Maybe UC

Out of state
Tufts
Harvard
Wake Forest
Vandy (still havent heard)
Yale
Stanford- just waiting for them to receive all the recs
Emory
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Georgetown
U Mich
Medical College Wisconsin

i finished all the secondaries except Yale, Vandy, and UChicago....
only one interview so far.... i go to a top 10 (i guess now it is 10) institution, above 30 MCAT... still sitting on the eggs though, only heard from one. GOOD LUCK!

gurnee is ghetto land, but you have great america and gurnee mills (aka ghetto mall)

im sure you know about finch then.

Originally posted by agent
gurnee is ghetto land, but you have great america and gurnee mills (aka ghetto mall)

im sure you know about finch then.

Finch SUCKS (excuse my language but it's fitting!) They don't even have a teaching hospital nearby, it's in the middle of a grungy city (North Chicago/Waukegan), and its clinic sucks the big one. Positives: haven't thought of one. Even though I would love to go to med school, I have my limits and that's why I didn't apply there.

Well, just for the hell of it, here's my list -

IL:
UIC
Rush (int on 10-29)
Loyola (int. TOMORROW! :eek: )
NW

Other:
U Mich (int 9-13)
U Iowa (int 10-15)
U Wisc (filled out the secondary)
MCW
CWRU (int. Friday! :eek: again!)
Yale (int 10-4)
Vandy (int 10-18 i think)
Mayo (phone int.)

Good luck everyone! :D

Originally posted by dpark74
Finch SUCKS (excuse my language but it's fitting!) They don't even have a teaching hospital nearby, it's in the middle of a grungy city (North Chicago/Waukegan), and its clinic sucks the big one. Positives: haven't thought of one. Even though I would love to go to med school, I have my limits and that's why I didn't apply there.

yeah i wont apply there either. going to school in waukegan is not my idea of a good time

I'm from IL, go to school in IN.

Interviews:
U Michigan (Oct. 11)
IU (Oct. 9)
University of Chicago (Oct. 1)
Loyola (Sept. 27)

Waiting to hear from:
Harvard
Yale
Hopkins
Dartmouth
Georgetown
George Washington
CWRU
Northwestern
UIC
Washington University
Creighton
St. Louis
MCOW

IL in the house!!!

Waukegan does suck. Gurnee is interesting with Great America and Gurnee Mills. I actually used to go to the mall there a lot many years ago but I haven't been there for a while. I take it that it has *deteriorated* quite a bit.

As for Finch, well, it's better than going the Caribbean route I guess. Really though, other than not having a teaching hospital what's up with that place? I never heard of it until a couple years ago and I've lived in the northern burbs all my life. The price tag is really scary though.

Gosh I hope UIC comes through for me around the 15th with this:
deal.gif

Originally posted by Explosivo
IL in the house!!!

Waukegan does suck. Gurnee is interesting with Great America and Gurnee Mills. I actually used to go to the mall there a lot many years ago but I haven't been there for a while. I take it that it has *deteriorated* quite a bit.

As for Finch, well, it's better than going the Caribbean route I guess. Really though, other than not having a teaching hospital what's up with that place? I never heard of it until a couple years ago and I've lived in the northern burbs all my life. The price tag is really scary though.

Gosh I hope UIC comes through for me around the 15th with this:
deal.gif

yeah gurnee mills has gone downhill a bit since a few years ago.. more gangbangers, etc.

and as for FINCH, yeah ive lived in the NW suburbs as well and ive never heard of it either. That is weird. Its like they are this secret evil underground med school. You'd think they'd know they suck after all these years and try to do something to help it.

I mean i really am passionate about going to med school, but i dont see how i could be proud of myself going to finch.. and yeah the price tag.. wtf. For that price you think they could be more like Loyola or Rush.

rush told me that they don't even convene until mid-October. I am just baffled that UIC has already given so many interview notices. It's crazy how some people get secondaries, some don't, and sometimes the person that was seemingly "better" just got secondarily dissed! haha, i guess it's a waiting game crap shoot.

Good luck still.

Is UIC rolling admissions?

Gumshoe

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe they are.

Yes, UIC is rolling admissions. I heard something about how last year, UIC filled up its class by December. :( As for Rush, I wish they didn't convene until mid-October, cept people have already been getting interview requests from them.

Originally posted by athena21
Yes, UIC is rolling admissions. I heard something about how last year, UIC filled up its class by December. :( As for Rush, I wish they didn't convene until mid-October, cept people have already been getting interview requests from them.

I have a friend who applied to UIC (his only app) and didn't send in the secondary till the day before it was due, i think sometime in Feb. He got an interview in March and was accepted w/out being on the waitlist. He was a grad student w/ a 28 mcat - so i think that rumor might not be true. ;) I hope not - I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Wow! filling up 300 spots in 3-4 months. considering that >600 are interviewed (just from in-state) and interviews are held weekly, 15/ interview date: I don't believe that!

Well, call me skeptical! No offense Athena but I think you were misinformed. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

so I'm heavily leaning towards loyola.

Is it just personal preference if your get accepted to Loyola, Rush, and UIC?

it was just something i thought i saw on a post from awhile back--actually i think from explosivo...it's all good if I'm wrong cuz it means we're all in a good position to get accepted! :)

edit:
actually, do a search on "UIC secondary" that's where i got the info from...

next edit:
it's from a post from August 1...

okay, i prolly was misinformed...it was just something i thought i saw on a post from awhile back...guess i was wrong...it's all good--me being wrong means we're all in a good position to get accepted! :)

LOL :D

When I applied two years ago to UIC, the Chicago campus was full by Christmas. The entire class is usually full by the end of January early February.

Also, interviews are held at all three campuses concurrently so they go through them quite fast. Trust me on this, the class fills up fast.

Explosivo's right...I'm wrong. Sorry guys. I forgot that interviews are held at all med school sites! That allows them to interview tons of people quickly.

Let me also add that there was quite a bit of movement on the wailtlist last year according to Dr. Girotti. Remember, many of the people holding spots and making the class "full" do not end up going there. Do not despair. This is just a function of rolling admissions.

hi guys,

I'm an IL resident M1 at northwestern, and I applied and was accepted to UIC also. I had my interview in early January and was accepted two weeks later. When I interviewed the Chicago campus was not yet closed, but when I sent back my acceptance form it was and I was placed in the UC campus. Friends from my undergrad got acceptances to UIC in January and February also. Don't worry if you don't get an interveiw right away. Lots of my friends that were very highly qualified didn't get interviews from UIC until December or so. And I actully know people that got into Loyola rush and NU while being waitlisted at UIC. Good Luck!!

Hey guys!

Also from IL. Going to Rush in 2003 (was accepted in 2002 but asked for a deferrment)! Was accepted to 3 others including UIC and was told Loyola too (unofficially) if I wanted it (did graduate school there). Pretty excited about Rush though. Good luck everyone!

Dpark74 - I also work at Abbott right now. We should hook up for some grub - off-site of course.

Originally posted by Brandon
Hey guys!

Also from IL. Going to Rush in 2003 (was accepted in 2002 but asked for a deferrment)! Was accepted to 3 others including UIC and was told Loyola too (unofficially) if I wanted it (did graduate school there). Pretty excited about Rush though. Good luck everyone!

Dpark74 - I also work at Abbott right now. We should hook up for some grub - off-site of course.

Of course, that would be great. Just give me a call...I'll pm you

how much do you make at abbott?

i work at the Follett Software company making about 35k

hey have you guys forgotten about southern illinois university school of medicine?! did you know it's all PBLM, which to me is the best way to learn, there are few required lectures and you get to actually USE your white coat, stethoscope, and other "toys" within the first month? if you're interested in learning medicine in blocks (anatomy, histo, physio, biochem, etc according to body system) and practice clinical skills you might want to check them out!! not that I'm partial or anything (class of 2006! :) ) plus we ranked in the us news poll for primary care!

Originally posted by kidmel45
hey have you guys forgotten about southern illinois university school of medicine?! did you know it's all PBLM, which to me is the best way to learn, there are few required lectures and you get to actually USE your white coat, stethoscope, and other "toys" within the first month? if you're interested in learning medicine in blocks (anatomy, histo, physio, biochem, etc according to body system) and practice clinical skills you might want to check them out!! not that I'm partial or anything (class of 2006! :) ) plus we ranked in the us news poll for primary care!

thats pretty far for me.. my family doesnt want to move

what's up illinois folks!!! i'm from the good old northwest suburbs.. went to school at Michigan. . .go blue!

anyways, samyjay i'll see you at UIC next monday as we have an interview there on the same day.
and Pneumo i'll see you at Michigan on oct 11th!

anyone else going to be at UIC next monday- sept 30th?

Originally posted by Woots32
If there are any UIUC people out there who are in Chem 331 this semester - WTF?!?!? Can I hear a shout-out for how much this sucks @$$? All are welcome to commiserate! :p

Well be glad at least that you don't have Pirkle...

my list for the hell of it:

IL Schools:

UIC
Rush - Interview in Oct.
Loyola - Interviewed and liked a LOT...everything new, everyone nice...
Northwestern

Outside IL:

UMich - Interview in Oct.
Vanderbilt - " in Oct
Stanford - Rejected
Mayo - Rejected after phone interview
Harvard
Hopkins
Duke

Originally posted by gotgirth
Well be glad at least that you don't have Pirkle...

I had Pirkle for 234, and I would take him over this idiot in a second! At least Pirkle was entertaining... if not necessarily hygenic...

how much do you make at abbott?

i work at the Follett Software company making about 35k

Kinda personal isn't it? I'll indulge you: $60K

Hey guys,
I used to be an Illinois resident. Grew up in Oak Park. I'm in Kansas City, MO right now going to a DO school (UHS-COM). I remember I used to be in your shoes waiting for Rush and Loyola. Keep your chins up and good luck.
Woots- Yeah, Pirkle was TERRIBLE!!! I had him from Chem 331 back in Fall of 97 at U of I. I don't think he ever prepares for the lectures. Hang in there, bro.

Hi everyone, I am from the south suburbs of Chicago and applied to med school two years ago. I interviewed at UIC in Dec. and at Rush in January. Got waitlisted at both and never heard back. I am getting my MS in Biology right now and applying again. I had one interview at SLU on 9/10 and got one at RUSH next Tuesday!! It's looking better than last time I applied, but I also got a rejection already, from U of C. I hope to hear from UIC again soon, and maybe some other schools I thought I give a chance. Good luck to all and keep IL represented!!:cool:

Any IL people go EDP or know fellow students that did? Either to IL schools or otherwise.

Wow...I'll bet us Illinoizianz be the only state with our own forum...

Somebody here mentioned SIU, they're a really good school (US News ranked them 25th in the nation for clinical) but the problem is, if you don't live in Illinois south of 80 (so we're talking Joliet and beyond) you have very little chance of getting in

My UIC interview is on Oct. 10 (I wasn't offered the 9/30 date), I interviewed at Michigan on 9/20, and I have WashU on 10/11. Also got a phone interview from Mayo.

Kinda personal isn't it? I'll indulge you: $60K

i wasnt trying to be personal.. i just wanted to know how much more you make than me.. obviously a lot.

yeah im on a single income family as well, so regardless to say im need based.

HEY ILLINOIS! I'm from the NW burbs applying to all these Chicago Schools, but I haven't got any love yet for an interview. I just turned in UIC and Rush about 1-2 weeks ago. You know I still haven't recieved anything from Loyola. How long did Loyola take to send you guys the secondary? Good luck to you all!

Hey anyone that works at Abbott can you guys hook me up with a job please??? I would love to work there but again no love I applied online and through some agency and nothing. I got a B.S. in Biology last year. If anyone thinks they can help I would appreciate it :D

Originally posted by Mixmaster
Hey anyone that works at Abbott can you guys hook me up with a job please??? I would love to work there but again no love I applied online and through some agency and nothing. I got a B.S. in Biology last year. If anyone thinks they can help I would appreciate it :D

No such luck, man. Abbott is in a hiring freeze indefinitely. Wish I could help, but it's the economy and all.

same hiring freeze here.

Oh well thanks guys, let me know if there is an opening! Thanks again!

i work in a call center answer phones and helping ppl with their software problems..

something you definitely dont want to do..

ill be doing this till i get accepted (hopefully)

Sorry to invade the IL thread, but I was wondering if any of you could suggest a hotel nearby UIC that isn't too expensive but nice enough for a good night's rest. I'm an out-of-stater with an interview on Oct. 10th. I was hoping there would be some sort of student hosting like they had at Pritzker, but I guess not. Any suggestions?

i wasnt trying to be personal.. i just wanted to know how much more you make than me.. obviously a lot.

yeah im on a single income family as well, so regardless to say im need based.

Sorry...I've been in a sour mood ever since my apt was broken into on Tuesday.

Originally posted by Miss B
Sorry to invade the IL thread, but I was wondering if any of you could suggest a hotel nearby UIC that isn't too expensive but nice enough for a good night's rest. I'm an out-of-stater with an interview on Oct. 10th. I was hoping there would be some sort of student hosting like they had at Pritzker, but I guess not. Any suggestions?

Your invasion is uncalled for! J/K Just talked to a friend and she said that there's a Hilton across the street from Rush Medical College, I believe on Ashland Ave. (within 1 mile of UIC). All other hotels are SHADY! Hope that helps.

yeah definitely stay at the hilton.

Sorry...I've been in a sour mood ever since my apt was broken into on Tuesday.

no problem..

so if you make that much, why are you living in gurnee?

you should move out by me man.. mchenry, crystal lake.. much better.

I thought the apt was good, but boy was I wrong! (everywhere looks safe in the daytime, which was the time I signed the lease). I paid ~$1000/mo for the piece of poop place and what do I get in return?

I'm moving to a place that I used to live at and the management and property are great. A little more expensive...but I'll pay for safety.