I'll be 29 years old if I apply and Get in Fall2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I prob wont get in when I apply now in May for fall 2010. I am 22 years old right now with my birthday in august. If I apply in May 2010 for Fall 2011 I will graduate in 2015. I'll be 25 if I get in. That means i graduate at 29.

Isnt that late, i just feel horrible to be behind everyone else in life, they will be starting families and not have debt while we would just be graduating and a mountain of debt to pay off.

Does anybody think that 29 is not too late. I feel like my life would be kind of over if I graduate that late.

Members don't see this ad.

For many schools I've looked into, the average applicant is 24 or 25. I'll be 25 in a week. Lay off the self pity, 29 is a great age to be getting married and starting a family. Even with debt, the money we will make will be able to support ourselves and our dependents.

thx for the support man. Anybody else whose a little bit late into the game? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be starting in the Fall, shortly after I turn 26. You shouldn't be concerned at all about starting at 25, especially if a dental career is truly what you want to do. You honestly shouldn't think twice about it.

I'm 30 now, and I'm starting school in the fall. I think it's important to remember that this is your life, and you're living it right now. Your real life doesn't start after graduation any more than it ends just because you turn 30, 50, or even 100. If being a dentist is your dream then make it happen.

I just turned 30 and I will start in the Fall....
Once I read in this forum something that stays with me, I don't remember who wrote it but it says something like this: "I prefer to say today I am 40 and I am a dentist than I am 40 and .....nothing" If this is your dream there is not age to stop you for making it a reality.

GL

I'll hopefully be 25 when I start in Fall 2010. Its no biggie, age is only a number and it doesn't bother me especially when I see people in their 40's entering dental school. If it's what you truly want, then being "29" when you graduate won't stop you.

I prob wont get in when I apply now in May for fall 2010. I am 22 years old right now with my birthday in august. If I apply in May 2010 for Fall 2011 I will graduate in 2015. I'll be 25 if I get in. That means i graduate at 29.

Isnt that late, i just feel horrible to be behind everyone else in life, they will be starting families and not have debt while we would just be graduating and a mountain of debt to pay off.

Does anybody think that 29 is not too late. I feel like my life would be kind of over if I graduate that late.

I know what you mean... I will be 30 when I graduate. I think there is a difference starting school at 26 compared to 30. To mid 20's, it feels like we are starting this whole thing late, while if you start at 30, it feels like a career change. Besides you may already be married when you start, while mid 20's may start fresh and have to date through school which could get complicated.

I just turned 30 and I will start in the Fall....
Once I read in this forum something that stays with me, I don't remember who wrote it but it says something like this: "I prefer to say today I am 40 and I am a dentist than I am 40 and .....nothing" If this is your dream there is not age to stop you for making it a reality.

GL

I know the person that decided to be a MD when he was 44! I mean from scratch. that means 4 years undergraduate and then medical school! his resoning for that desicision was exact what you said, when everybody told him, when you finish your school(medical school) you will be 52! He responded" I will be 52 years old anyway, what you think? which one is better? Being 52 years old and being whatever I am right now or being 52 years old and being a medical doctor"?
In my General chemistry class in 2005 there was an engineer that graduated in 1983, he was doing his pre requirements for Medical school, in final exam when I saw his grade I amased( because I was thinking I am the best in class lol). his final grade was 98 from very hard instructor. :oops:

the funniest think it was same year in my general Biology class, one grand ma and grand doughter were taking Biology class together! grand ma was in my statstics class with me too! ( I hope she didn't think about dental school :D just kidding lol she was taking those classes for some nurssing program)

on one of my interviews i met a fellow interviewee who was 37... so he wont finish until 41 or 42...

no big deal! some people just get there later in life! GL

i'll be 26 when i graduate from d-school, a 3 years difference is not that much...you have one life, make sure you do something you enjoy with it. i would hate to look back at 60 years age and say "I should have gone to dental school"

29=twenties=still young

Dude, the average on-time applicant enters dental school at 22 (18 + 4 years for a bachelor's degree). You will be ONLY 25 or maybe even 24 if you get in D school next year, which is about two or three years late. There are people applying in their 30's. Are you really worried because of being late for a couple of years?

Members don't see this ad :)

:smuggrin: :laugh: I will be 35 in a few days.................you friggin kill me.

I'm be 41 when I start in the fall so go figure.

29 isn't too late. I will be 34 when I start d-school and 37 when I finish!

Even finishing at 29 you'll have a good 30-40 years to work, if you choose.

My thoughts: relax and enjoy the ride!

Yes. You are old. I saw some chick graduating from college at the age of 19. It makes me want to kill myself :D

Did I say that she was also accepted to all three dental schools in my state? :(

They should really put a common sense section on the DAT.

To answer your question: yes, your life will be over. You may feel more comfortable as a greeter at Walmart. Good luck.

:laugh: just funny respond :laugh: yes that is good idea and we don't need to pass head and neck anatomy and many other miserable classes in dental school. :laugh:

I'm 20 and I just got in haha

I will be 34 when I graduate and 37 after I finish specializing. You're funny!!!:D

31 when I am finished, 32 if I do a gpr.

Dude, I'll be 25 in like 3 months....and I feel like I'm starting "late", but only for the simple reason that I started applying back in 2005, so four AADSAS cycles later I finally got in! But who cares, life isn't a race. Besides, chicks dig older guys anyway :laugh:

Dude, I'll be 25 in like 3 months....and I feel like I'm starting "late", but only for the simple reason that I started applying back in 2005, so four AADSAS cycles later I finally got in! But who cares, life isn't a race. Besides, chicks dig older guys anyway :laugh:

That above was funny and in most cases it's true. If you aren't comfy with your age and don't want to spend 4 yrs in d-school, you can make happy smbd else (who's struggling and applying to d-schools) by declining acceptances. If you wanted it, just do it, and you won't regret.
Now I can see only that I'm a youngster compared to the above SDN posters.:laugh: And now I feel younger :D

are you kidding me!?? I'm 32 and will be 33 before I start this fall. I know I'll be older than most of my classmates -- but I hope that most of them know that age is nothing but a mind set!!

I know a doctor that went to med school at age 50! I know a someone that started pharmacy school at age 41. And I am pretty sure someone who starts dental school at age 30 is not old!

But I do hope I can buy a Lambo by that age lol

don't worry i am going to apply dental school when i am 23.similar boat.

I'll be 32 in March and I am applying this cycle. Do it.
Or don't!... competition is tough enough!
Kidding.
If you are truly passionate about this, I don't think you'd be worried about this issue at all.

Better late than never. Besides, you are going to be 29 at some point in life, so its not too bad being a Doctor at this age. ;) Although, marriage for me is an issue too! Meh.

Oh yeah, I am 22 years old as well and just started my second semester. So, we are pretty much on the same boat except mine is faster. :pHaha!

First post btw.

29?? Why get into dentistry now, you're gonna retire like tomorrow gramps. 28 is pushing it, but 29?? No way an old-timer like you can contribute to society in any way, let alone be a dentist!! Just sit back and collect social security ya dinosaur.