This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durtyheffalump

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently got accepted at IIT in IO Psych and all the graduate students I've reached out to have had nothing but great things to say about the school, but their PhD program is not funded. Would it be a terrible financial decision to attend this program? Is the hefty price tag worth it? Has anyone else attended IIT, and if you so, how did you afford this school?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do graduates from that program earn when they graduate, on average, for the first few years?
How long is the program?
What debt load do you expect to encumber?

I am not as familiar with IO specifically (most on the board arent), but no funding is pretty much always going to make it a bad idea. The things that differ are the program length/cost and earning expectation at graduation but the same premises apply (interest on loans making it substantially larger than you took out, opportunity cost, decreased earnings until loan is repaid). You can apply the same math on earnings and debt load from other threads with your adjusted info.

Hello all,
I recently got accepted at IIT in IO Psych and all the graduate students I've reached out to have had nothing but great things to say about the school, but their PhD program is not funded. Would it be a terrible financial decision to attend this program? Is the hefty price tag worth it? Has anyone else attended IIT, and if you so, how did you afford this school?
Thanks!
Don't know much about the school, but cognitive dissonance can explain why the graduates say good things about it. If we invest a lot of time and money in to something then we are likely to view it more positively. I would really look carefully at what they are doing employment-wise after the school and also consider how wide the employment opportunities will be. One good thing about a clinical psych doctorate is the breadth of opportunity and one drawback of more specialized degrees is the narrower scope.

Don't know much about the school, but cognitive dissonance can explain why the graduates say good things about it. If we invest a lot of time and money in to something then we are likely to view it more positively. I would really look carefully at what they are doing employment-wise after the school and also consider how wide the employment opportunities will be. One good thing about a clinical psych doctorate is the breadth of opportunity and one drawback of more specialized degrees is the narrower scope.
Admittedly, this is just an n=1 situation and I don't know anything about the I/O program, but this was definitely the case when I interviewed for the clinical psych PhD program at IIT a while back. The DCT said some....unsettling...things about the funding situation and all the current grad students tried to play off the funding concerns of interviewees like they were of no consequence. I knew I wasn't going to attend even if I received an offer after multiple students wrote off their debt and funding problems with the excuse that these things didn't matter because they planned to commission into the military so that the government would pay it off for them.