MD Illinois MD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moy505

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Senior taking a gap year next year
overall GPA = 3.65 and sciGPA =3.54
MCAT = 30 (8PS, 11VR, 11BS)

Grades are a bit low because I received B-s in chem 1 and chem 2. Also a B in Physics 1 but an A in Physics 2. I have As in most of my Bio/Orgo classes (a few Bs in some Bio). Senior year grades should be A's and B+'s in upper bio classes.

I know the MCAT is unbalanced but I would really like to not retake. Any chances of that? The 8 seems to be below the 10th percentile for many schools in this state. Does that mean that I have a very small shot at those schools? Should I still apply to those schools? I would really like to go to a school in Illinois.

ECs by end of Senior Year:
  • Hospital Volunteering: About 120 hours over a few summers (I plan to volunteer more over gap year)
  • Founder of Campus Mentor Program for 7th graders. Served as president and vice president (2 years)
  • Leadership position in Campus Club that is involved in volunteering around campus. I have mentored underclassmen, volunteered at the ACS, and set up large scale programs during the school year. (3 years)
  • Member of club involved in non medical community service. (3 years)
  • Research (2 semesters)
  • Campus Job (2 years, about 3 hours a week)
  • Shadowing: About 50 hours so far.
Also any suggestions on the type of work that I should be doing over my gap year? Thanks.
All schools don't look at individual subscores. A little research will give you an idea of where you wouldn't have a shot due to subscore cutoffs. At the least, you'll be fine at UIC and probably Rosalind Franklin. And SIU, if your permanent address is south of I-80.

For your gap year, any job in a healthcare setting or in research would add to your application. Or get any job to pay the bills, but continue some medical volunteerism as you'd planned.

If your shadowing hours don't include a primary care doc, be sure to get that in. Also, include on your application hobbies and artistic pursuits so you look well-rounded.

Thanks for the help Cat. Im just a bit worried because of the lower sGPA and 8 on PS. Do I have a realistic shot of getting into a medical school? Also is it fine that Im not retaking the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Im just a bit worried because of the lower sGPA and 8 on PS. Do I have a realistic shot of getting into a medical school?
2) Also is it fine that Im not retaking the MCAT?
1) Yes, particlarly since your ECs look pretty comprehensive.

2) If you feel you've done the best you could, then don't retake, especially since you have some lenient instate schools. If you want to hedge your bets, then add CCOM to your application list, as you'd be a near-shoo in at any DO school that doesn't require a DO physician LOR.

1) Yes, particlarly since your ECs look pretty comprehensive.

2) If you feel you've done the best you could, then don't retake, especially since you have some lenient instate schools. If you want to hedge your bets, then add CCOM to your application list, as you'd be a near-shoo in at any DO school that doesn't require a DO physician LOR.

Thanks a lot for the help Cat! Im definitely thinking about applying to CCOM because I have shadowed a DO that is willing to write me a letter of rec. The only reason I am a bit hesitant on DO schools is the price. My goal is to ideally attend a school that charges less than 50k for tuition (and hopefully is within 2 hours of Chicago).

Don't forget that CCOM is in your backyard. They'll be more forgiving of the PS8. Stick with low-tier MD schools too, and you'll be fine.

If you get shut out this cycle, then retake the MCAT.

Thanks for the help Cat. Im just a bit worried because of the lower sGPA and 8 on PS. Do I have a realistic shot of getting into a medical school? Also is it fine that Im not retaking the MCAT?

Hey Catalystik,

I recently received an offer to join Teach For America and I am really thinking about it but I am not sure how its going to affect my app.. So instead of the 1 gap year I would take 2 years off. I took my MCAT in August of 2013..would it still be good for 2015 apps for most schools? Will schools look down upon the fact that the MCAT wold be a bit old? Also how do Med schools in general view TFA? It is something that I am genuinly interest in but I know the company is a bit controversial? Would it have a negative affect on my application? thanks for the help

A side note..I am considering being a part time student for my 2nd semester senior year. Does this look bad at all?

Hey Catalystik,

I recently received an offer to join Teach For America and I am really thinking about it but I am not sure how its going to affect my app.. So instead of the 1 gap year I would take 2 years off.

1) I took my MCAT in August of 2013..would it still be good for 2015 apps for most schools? Will schools look down upon the fact that the MCAT wold be a bit old?

2) Also how do Med schools in general view TFA? It is something that I am genuinly interest in but I know the company is a bit controversial? Would it have a negative affect on my application? thanks for the help

3) A side note..I am considering being a part time student for my 2nd semester senior year. Does this look bad at all?
1) Schools vay in when they "expire" an MCAT score. At SIU, for example, it can only be two years old at maximum. Your MSAR or a school's website will tell you the situation for each school in which you have an interest.

2) In my experience TFA is viewed very positively by adcomms. What controversy do you refer to?

3) As long as you are busy in other (reportable) ways, part-time status won't hurt you for the last semester.

1) It seems like most schools allow for 3 years. Is there any bias against students with slightly old MCATs (2 years in my case)?

2) In general there seems to be some opposition in the media. I posted an article below called "TFA under heavy fire from educators and former members"

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/17/teach-for-america-criticism-educators

3) So should I get involved in an additional activity or can I just pick up more shifts at work?

Thanks

1) No.
2) The controversy discussed in the article would in no way take away from the positive impression left by your involvement in the program, assuming you complete the program successfully. I think it would be important for you to consider the points raised, though, before committing. Do you have any type of past teaching experience or a mentor you can call upon for advice that might make the transition easier? Maybe your work with 7th graders would be helpful, depending on the type of interaction you've had. I've seen many posts on SDN from past TFAers. you might seek them out, even communicate by PM to clarify areas that might be of concern to you.
3) Either, so long as it's not playing video games in your parents' basement.

Last edited:
1) No.
2) The controversy discussed in the article would in no way take away from the positive impression left by your involvement in the program, assuming you complete the program successfully. I think it would be important for you to consider the points raised, though, before committing. Do you have any type of past teaching experience or a mentor you can call upon for advice that might make the transition easier? Maybe your work with 7th graders would be helpful, depending on the type of interaction you've had. I've seen many posts on SDN from past TFAers. you might seek them out, even communicate by PM to clarify areas that might be of concern to you.
3) Either, so long as it's not playing video games in your parents' basement.

Last edited:
I'm not Cat. But...one thing that you don't know about medical school and medicine until you get there is that being an effective TEACHER is extremely valued. You'll be teaching your patients, peers, colleagues for the rest of your life. Teaching is a key part of learning in med school too. So I'd say TFA would be way more impressive on many levels than CNA. That said CNA or anything that puts you in the hospital/clinic is a general GOOD. It would be nice to get a letter for any experience that takes up a good chunk of your life/time in the immediate years before applying -- since they should know you and your ethic/motivation best?

one thing that you don't know about medical school and medicine until you get there is that being an effective TEACHER is extremely valued. You'll be teaching your patients, peers, colleagues for the rest of your life. Teaching is a key part of learning in med school too. So I'd say TFA would be way more impressive on many levels than CNA. That said CNA or anything that puts you in the hospital/clinic is a general GOOD. It would be nice to get a letter for any experience that takes up a good chunk of your life/time in the immediate years before applying -- since they should know you and your ethic/motivation best?
I agree!

me agree!

Hey Cat quick question. So I've heard on these forums that being a nurse is looked down upon sometimes by med schools. Im pretty sure that being a CNA would be fine because its the lowest level and not a BS in nursing. Is this correct? Just wanted to make sure that CNA for 2 years wouldnt hurt me. Thanks.

Not sure why the grammar is weird on my reply...(glitch?)

Hey Cat quick question. So me've heard on these forums that bein' a nurse be looked down upon sometimes by med schools. Im pretty sure that bein' a CNA would be fine because its the lowest level and not a BS in nursin'. be this correct? Just wanted to make sure that CNA for 2 years wouldnt hurt me. Thanks.

Not sure why the grammar be weird on my reply...(glitch?)
You are witnessing the wizardry of the mischievous mods celebrating 4/1. All day long there have been interesting substitutions. They will go back to normal eventually. Enjoy. And watch out for the next iteration.

CNA experience will absolutely not hurt your application.

Hey Cat quick question. So I've heard on these forums that being a nurse is looked down upon sometimes by med schools. Im pretty sure that being a CNA would be fine because its the lowest level and not a BS in nursing. Is this correct? Just wanted to make sure that CNA for 2 years wouldnt hurt me. Thanks.

Not sure why the grammar is weird on my reply...(glitch?)

During my interviews, nursing was seen as a positive. The dean of admissions told me that pursuing a nursing degree after my initial rejection was a wise investment clinically and financially.

I was accepted.