General Admissions & OTCAS Illinois schools: Who have you heard back from? 2020-2021 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT5111

Reaction score
I know it’s still early, but I thought I would start a thread for people to discuss specifically Illinois schools for this cycle. Who have you heard back from? When did you apply/ hear back? Stats? Etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’d wait out and see what other offers you get. Judging by their virtual info session they are unaccredited, have no clue what they’re doing in general, and have very limited relationships for fieldwork placement.

I’d wait out and see what other offers you get. Judging by their virtual info session they are unaccredited, have no clue what they’re doing in general, and have very limited relationships for fieldwork placement.
Hey! I completely disagree. Not only is North Central already accredited, they are also expanding their med-related programs by adding a PA program & potentially a PT program in the next few years. In addition, during my info session they indicated that they have hundreds of fieldwork site contracts. I do not think it is fair to say that they have no idea what they are doing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I only applied to UIC in Illinois and I got an early acceptance letter on the Nov. 25th. I submitted my application in OTCAS on Nov. 2nd. I'll list my stats below. I was genuinely shocked to get an acceptance this early and am a little unsure of what I should do with it lol. I think my work experience may have been what set me apart and why I heard back so soon. Good luck to all of you!

University: Florida Gulf Coast University
Major: Biology, Pre-professional Concentration
GPA: 3.76 (Last 60 - 3.81)
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
Volunteer: Hospital Pre-Op volunteer, Intern leader in an international setting
Work Experience: Tutor for high school student with ADHD, International internship coordinator, data manager for a non-profit organization, ESL teacher in S. Korea, paraeducator for special needs department in a high school
Shadowing Hours: 75 hours outpatient setting, 30 hours pediatrics, early intervention, Quinnipiac Virtual Shadowing Experience
GRE: Verbal - 161 Quantitative - 155 AW - 4.5

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I only applied to UIC in Illinois and I got an early acceptance letter on the Nov. 25th. I submitted my application in OTCAS on Nov. 2nd. I'll list my stats below. I was genuinely shocked to get an acceptance this early and am a little unsure of what I should do with it lol. I think my work experience may have been what set me apart and why I heard back so soon. Good luck to all of you!

University: Florida Gulf Coast University
Major: Biology, Pre-professional Concentration
GPA: 3.76 (Last 60 - 3.81)
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
Volunteer: Hospital Pre-Op volunteer, Intern leader in an international setting
Work Experience: Tutor for high school student with ADHD, International internship coordinator, data manager for a non-profit organization, ESL teacher in S. Korea, paraeducator for special needs department in a high school
Shadowing Hours: 75 hours outpatient setting, 30 hours pediatrics, early intervention, Quinnipiac Virtual Shadowing Experience
GRE: Verbal - 161 Quantitative - 155 AW - 4.5
Omg congrats! Your hard work really paid off. How long do they give you to accept the offer? I got into a school early too, but they gave me 3 weeks to accept :// Idk if that's the standard ooooor

Omg congrats! Your hard work really paid off. How long do they give you to accept the offer? I got into a school early too, but they gave me 3 weeks to accept :// Idk if that's the standard ooooor
Thanks :) Congratulations to you too! They gave me two weeks to make a decision or request an extension. So I think 2-3 weeks must be the standard. Maybe you can send an email asking for an extension on your decision.

Has anyone heard back from Midwestern?
i heard back early december about my rejection. i found out via a letter in the mail and never got an email about it. i know acceptances/waitlists went out shortly following interviews. hope this helps!

For anyone who submitted for UIC at the regular deadline, have you heard anything back?

For anyone who submitted for UIC at the regular deadline, have you heard anything back?
I submitted before the early decision deadline and still haven’t heard anything! I’m pretty much anticipating hearing on March 15th

I also applied by the regular ddl and haven't heard anything back yet. The wait makes me anxious.
Me too!! They said they'd get back to everyone in March so I'm just trying to not think about it until then haha.

I submitted before the early decision deadline and still haven’t heard anything! I’m pretty much anticipating hearing on March 15th
That's so weird!! I guess they said anyone who submits for the early deadline may hear back sooner, but I guess not necessarily. Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard from Elmhurst? I interviewed a month ago but haven’t heard anything since.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I know the website says mid February so maybe I’ll hear next week.
No problem! Based on what I have read, it seems like they send out a couple of acceptances right after the interview and then everyone else hears back later (around Feb-March). So I for sure wouldn’t worry about it!!

No problem! Based on what I have read, it seems like they send out a couple of acceptances right after the interview and then everyone else hears back later (around Feb-March). So I for sure wouldn’t worry about it!!
Thank you! That makes more sense. The wait is painful!! Did you get in?

Heard back from UIC today (2/16) about a rejection. Hope you get good news though!

Heard back from UIC today (2/16) about a rejection. Hope you get good news though!
I heard back almost 2 weeks about a rejection as well. Hoping for the best for others, though!

Reactions: 1 user
Heard from UIC earlier this week and was not offered a spot. I'd rather know now though than in a few weeks! Interviewing with Rush next week. Was offered a spot at Elmhurst but declined (after speaking with some current students there I determined that their unique approach to FW1 was not a good fit for me). Best of luck everyone!

Heard from UIC earlier this week and was not offered a spot. I'd rather know now though than in a few weeks! Interviewing with Rush next week. Was offered a spot at Elmhurst but declined (after speaking with some current students there I determined that their unique approach to FW1 was not a good fit for me). Best of luck everyone!
Good luck with your Rush interview. Just wanted to say that I also declined Elmhurst for that same reason!

Good luck with your Rush interview. Just wanted to say that I also declined Elmhurst for that same reason!
I am just curious (didn't apply to these schools) but what about the fieldwork setup didn't you like?

I am very curious as well!

I am just curious (didn't apply to these schools) but what about the fieldwork setup didn't you
So during the interview, Elmhurst mentioned that the AOTA is trying to reform OT to also be able to do community based work. Elmhurst is emphasizing this “change” in an interesting way though. For all 3 level 1 fieldworks you are placed at the same community-service location. Most if not all of these locations don’t have an OT/have never had an OT. Fieldwork 1A is “service” (volunteer type work), fieldwork 1B is “idea” (research how to implement OT at that location), and fieldwork 1C is “implementation”. Then to makeup for this type of fieldwork structure both level 2 fieldworks must focus on across the lifespan. Meaning if you are really interested in specifically pediatrics, you couldn’t be placed at a pediatric level 2 fieldwork. This setup would be great for someone 100% interested in community based work but isn’t for everyone.

Hopefully that makes sense and again this is how I interpreted it during the interview.

Last edited:
So during the interview, Elmhurst mentioned that the AOTA is trying to reform OT to also be able to do community based work. Elmhurst is emphasizing this “change” in an interesting way though. For all 3 level 1 fieldworks you are placed at the same community-service location. Most if not all of these locations don’t have an OT/have never had an OT. Fieldwork 1A is “service” (volunteer type work), fieldwork 1B is “idea” (research how to implement OT at that location), and fieldwork 1C is “implementation”. Then to makeup for this type of fieldwork structure both level 2 fieldworks must focus on across the lifespan. Meaning if you are really interested in specifically pediatrics, you couldn’t be placed at a pediatric level 2 fieldwork. This setup would be great for someone 100% interested in community based work but isn’t for everyone.

Hopefully that makes sense and again this is how I interpreted it during the interview.
That is a very well-written explanation, and is how I interpreted it during the interview as well! A friend of mine is in their program now and is frustrated with the lack of facetime with an actual OT during any of her level one fieldwork. That initially raised a red flag for me, and then realizing I would have much more freedom to explore different settings at other schools sealed the deal. It didn't align with my goals, but I agree that it would be wonderful for someone with a specific interest in community based work!

That's really unique indeed! Thanks for explaining.

Anyone still waiting to hear back from UIC? The wait is killing me!!
They said they would get back to everyone by March. I found out about a rejection about a month ago. Good luck!

Hi all! For those who have accepted the offer to UIC, was there a deposit you had to pay? If so, what was it? Thanks!

Anyone heard from Elmhurt’s or Rush’s waitlists recently?

I have not heard anything about Rush's waitlist, no. I will probably be dropping off of the waitlist soon, though.

I was accepted from Elmhurst's waitlist last Monday! They gave me until April 9th to accept so I would assume they'll send out another round the Monday after. Good luck!

Has anyone accepted at Lewis or North Central? I was accepted to both and have to make a decision in the next few days. North Central is a hybrid program and I am not sure about taking online classes. Any opinions on either school?