Illinois schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps ... I'm not really worrying just yet but this process I think is the most f'ed up thing i've ever gone through. It just seems SO random. A friend of mine just sent the application to Rush about 2 weeks ago, AMCAS about a month ago, and already got an interview! It's just crazy. I guess a lot of thing go into making the decisions? Clearly not. If a person with real good gpa but with average mcat and no EC's gets one that early, and people from TX get Rush interviews too, it just seems more random than anything, because everyone is so good who applies to begin with. Thoughts>

Gumshoe

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm from IL, things I think with me are a bit wacky...I submitted the UIC first because it's the easiest, followed by Rush, Loyola, and U of C. I heard back from Loyola two weeks after submitting my secondary and interviewed end of September. I haven't heard from any other schools, either in state or out (other than my NU rejection pre-secondary). Frankly I am very surprised I haven't heard anything from UIC.

gosh dang !!!1

I'm in the same boat and it is frustrating, I applied to NU, U of C, UIC, and Rush. I expected to hear back from rush and UIC right away, but no!! I got invited for an interview at U of C, but I haven;'t heard back from the other schools!

Secondly, how am i supposed to find out if my apps are complete at Rush or UIC? This blows, UIC should interview me, it's so cheap! Maybe they think I won't go? who knows.... aRGH!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, i dont know nothin' about rush, those 13 essays certainly weeded me out, but on the UIC app, it specifically says that making sure your file is complete is YOUR responsibility, to make sure you email/call them ASAP if you're worried...

What are all your ballpark stats? Just wondering. I haven't heard at all either. I guess we'll keep on with the waiting game ...

Gumshoe (10-8-10, 3.35, ec's, good recs)

;)

Gumshoe, I would be thrilled if I got into loyola..

Agent, where does that come from? I feel you though. that seems like a quality place. I hope I get an interview there.

Gumshoe

Well, I only just now finished my U of C secondary...I saved that until last and tried to finish Rush early because I thought I was more likely to get into there than U of C. Call U of I on a Thursday, that is the only day you can check to see if your application is complete (which I find to be VERY annoying). I don't remember, but I think I also called Rush.

I am antsy about posting my stats for all to see, I'm sure I'll do it eventually but if you would like to know PM me (which I have never used because I'm new to SDN but I'm sure I'll figure it out) and I'd be happy to share.

Originally posted by agent
Gumshoe, I would be thrilled if I got into loyola..

Oh my keep your fingers crossed for me that Loyola is sending me an acceptance letter tomorrow! I was very impressed with their school (then again at this point I have nothing to compare it to because it was my only interview so far but I loved it).

my bad.. i meant to direct that at PluckyDuk8

sorry

I've had only one interview and it was at UIC. I'm really hoping for nice letter from them this week so I can finally relax.

As for the others I'm pretty down about it b/c this is my second attempt and I've really made some great improvements to my application. Nevertheless, i've been shut out of interviews at every single other school. This really bothers me right now although I know I may get interviewed later on. When I see people posting similar stats as me that are getting interviews all over the place I really start to worry. I mean, WTF, do I have to do for these f#@!ing adcoms? Pull gold buillion out of my ass?!! Sorry, I'm just venting...I'm just really irritated right now.

I hope the rest of you aren't feeling this way 'cause it sucks. I'm really pulling for all you Illinois SDNers.
the wave.GIF

Good luck to all waiting for acceptance letters this week!

Well I'll be damned!

I talked to Rush today and they said they mailed me an interview invite on October 7!! I'm really worried now since I never got it, maybe other schools may be sending it to the wrong place or something!!
Argh, now another thing to worry about!

How did you go about calling/asking? I am afraid to have a repeat of my NU rejection (see a post with the subject "Northwestern"). When did you send in your secondary? It could also be that naturally my profile is lower so who knows?

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
How did you go about calling/asking? I am afraid to have a repeat of my NU rejection (see a post with the subject "Northwestern"). When did you send in your secondary? It could also be that naturally my profile is lower so who knows?

Don't know your particular situation but you could give them a friendly call to make sure your application is complete...if they've invited you for an interview I'm sure they would let you know.

I feel you, explosivo. It's early, though, remember. A lot of times this stuff DOES seem random. Who knows how the adcoms work? Maybe one person sees someone and poof! ... they get an invite by convincing others so. We'll see what happens. I'm in the same mode as you are ... waiting ... but i haven't even gotten 1 interview yet! Keep positive, man.

Gumshoe

Originally posted by gotgirth
Don't know your particular situation but you could give them a friendly call to make sure your application is complete...if they've invited you for an interview I'm sure they would let you know.

I think I called them two weeks after I sent in my secondary...I should have written down when I did but oh well. I'd be afraid to call again because who knows if they keep records of this stuff.

Waiting sucks....and to think this waiting is going to go on for months...

I know how all of you guys feel. I am also a IL resident and applied to all of the IL schools. I finished all of my secondary apps early and I have only heard back from and interviewed at UIC (which I hope to hear good news this week). I agree with all of you, in that this is a completely random process. I wish all of you fellow IL SDNers the best of luck.