UCSFdreamin

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am really interested in the PRIME-US program at UCSF. In college I studied philosophy and researched in psychology, work that was recently published with me as first of two authors. I thought I wanted to do research, but then worked for 4 months in the Dominican in an HIV clinic and found public health very appealing. I shadowed physicians, worked on an R01 grant, helped streamline patient data flow and co-authored several papers now pending publication. Now I am doing physiology at Northwestern just to be sure my draw to public health isnt merely a question of recency, and I am still drawn to public health.

I also have a few small public service projects that I initiated and built from the ground up, from ideation through recruiting and execution, speak proficient Spanish and have some leadership extracurriculars from college. My GPA was a 3.78 overall, 3.7 (I think) science, and I earned honors for independent thesis in medical ethics and behavioral pharmacology. I am proficient at Spanish and just now learning french.

Am I being silly when I worry that my 10 10 12 S MCAT is not strong enough? For a couple of reasons I am quite convinced I could up the score, but that would distract me from my research. Is it worth it? Will a 34 or 35 make a huge difference compared to a 32?

Thanks!

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
I don't think your worries are unjustified. The mean MCAT for an acceptee of UCSF is 35 and mean GPA is 3.8. More daunting than that, is that UCSF takes mostly in-state applicants.

aebvd97

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2008
Nashville, TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I don't think your worries are unjustified. The mean MCAT for an acceptee of UCSF is 35 and mean GPA is 3.8. More daunting than that, is that UCSF takes mostly in-state applicants.

I echo the above. You have great ECs, and you know this. Your MCAT is definitely weak for UCSF, though. I would typically say your GPA is fine (and really it is for most schools), but you probably need it higher for UCSF. The fact is, you're out-of-state for UCSF, and they don't accept many out-of-staters at all. So, you need to have stellar MCATs, GPA, and ECs to get in as an out-of-stater. I don't want to discourage you too much, but I must be blunt and say I think your changes aren't great.

About the Ads

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
No you are not being silly, you are very much so being realistic. A 3.7/32 can barely get most california residents into the UC system, let alone a OOSer. And a school like UCSF (like Mobius said) has very high stats. I don't want to shoot down your dream, so u should still apply b/c u can get lucky, but chances are slim. Plus you have really good stats for illinois schools? why come over to cali?

UCSFdreamin

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If I cant get in to UCSF, are the other schools that are also good and more likely to get me an interview? I dont really want to stay in Illinois. Anything east coast?

Rabbit36

Lagomorphadelic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If I cant get in to UCSF, are the other schools that are also good and more likely to get me an interview? I dont really want to stay in Illinois. Anything east coast?

Tons. You definitely don't have to stay in Illinois. Try the spreadsheet in this thread to get a *rough* idea of where you would be competitive (which with your stats would be many schools). It also tells you where out-of-staters have bad or good chances. UC schools are notoriously super-competitive to get into even for CA residents. UCSF appreciates candidates with really interesting experiences/life stories, so it's a lot more than stats there, but because of the caliber of applicants you generally would need some great numbers to shine enough to get a secondary request. Scoring higher on the MCAT would be good because right now your numbers are pretty average, even if in objective terms they're fantastic. Good luck!

Last edited:

Muffinpuff

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Are you an under-rep minority? Cause if you are, then that would change everything. UCSF really wants diversity!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.