1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Illinoisian for UCSF

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by UCSFdreamin, Dec 17, 2008.

1. UCSFdreamin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am really interested in the PRIME-US program at UCSF. In college I studied philosophy and researched in psychology, work that was recently published with me as first of two authors. I thought I wanted to do research, but then worked for 4 months in the Dominican in an HIV clinic and found public health very appealing. I shadowed physicians, worked on an R01 grant, helped streamline patient data flow and co-authored several papers now pending publication. Now I am doing physiology at Northwestern just to be sure my draw to public health isnt merely a question of recency, and I am still drawn to public health.

I also have a few small public service projects that I initiated and built from the ground up, from ideation through recruiting and execution, speak proficient Spanish and have some leadership extracurriculars from college. My GPA was a 3.78 overall, 3.7 (I think) science, and I earned honors for independent thesis in medical ethics and behavioral pharmacology. I am proficient at Spanish and just now learning french.

Am I being silly when I worry that my 10 10 12 S MCAT is not strong enough? For a couple of reasons I am quite convinced I could up the score, but that would distract me from my research. Is it worth it? Will a 34 or 35 make a huge difference compared to a 32?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't think your worries are unjustified. The mean MCAT for an acceptee of UCSF is 35 and mean GPA is 3.8. More daunting than that, is that UCSF takes mostly in-state applicants.

4. aebvd97

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I echo the above. You have great ECs, and you know this. Your MCAT is definitely weak for UCSF, though. I would typically say your GPA is fine (and really it is for most schools), but you probably need it higher for UCSF. The fact is, you're out-of-state for UCSF, and they don't accept many out-of-staters at all. So, you need to have stellar MCATs, GPA, and ECs to get in as an out-of-stater. I don't want to discourage you too much, but I must be blunt and say I think your changes aren't great.

5. alibai3ah

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No you are not being silly, you are very much so being realistic. A 3.7/32 can barely get most california residents into the UC system, let alone a OOSer. And a school like UCSF (like Mobius said) has very high stats. I don't want to shoot down your dream, so u should still apply b/c u can get lucky, but chances are slim. Plus you have really good stats for illinois schools? why come over to cali?

6. UCSFdreamin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If I cant get in to UCSF, are the other schools that are also good and more likely to get me an interview? I dont really want to stay in Illinois. Anything east coast?

7. Rabbit36

Rabbit36 Lagomorphadelic
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Tons. You definitely don't have to stay in Illinois. Try the spreadsheet in this thread to get a *rough* idea of where you would be competitive (which with your stats would be many schools). It also tells you where out-of-staters have bad or good chances. UC schools are notoriously super-competitive to get into even for CA residents. UCSF appreciates candidates with really interesting experiences/life stories, so it's a lot more than stats there, but because of the caliber of applicants you generally would need some great numbers to shine enough to get a secondary request. Scoring higher on the MCAT would be good because right now your numbers are pretty average, even if in objective terms they're fantastic. Good luck!

#6 Rabbit36, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  8. Muffinpuff

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Are you an under-rep minority? Cause if you are, then that would change everything. UCSF really wants diversity!