I'm a 5th year Melbourne University Medical Student, ask me anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naturalgut

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ask away :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start this off...are you from Aus or somewhere else? And what are you plans for next year?

I'll start this off...are you from Aus or somewhere else? And what are you plans for next year?

Yes, I am from Australia. The undergrad course at Melbourne University is 6 years, so I'll still be in clinical school next year.

The undergrad course is 5 semesters of university based biomedical style science lectures where each semester covers a different system. (i.e first semester general biomedical science, second semester nutrition/digestion/metabolism, third semester cardiovascular/respiratory/locomotor...)

This is followed by two semesters of research (for a compulsory BMed.Sci. degree), before another 5 semesters of hospital based clinical medicine.

In regard to the old course, the last undergrad intake (6 year course) was for 2008 entry and the last grad intake (4.5 year course) was for 2009 entry. There will be no medical entry in 2010, but applications will be taken for 2011.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all thanks for taking out the time to answer our questions :) I just have a few of them...

1. Do you know any fellow students from Canada and if so would you happen to know what their plans are in terms of whether they will be returning to North America for their residency?
  2. Do a lot of international students from North America end of staying in Australia?
  3. Which medical specialties are currently in high demand over there?
Thanks again and take care :)

First of all thanks for taking out the time to answer our questions :) I just have a few of them...

1. Do you know any fellow students from Canada and if so would you happen to know what their plans are in terms of whether they will be returning to North America for their residency?
  2. Do a lot of international students from North America end of staying in Australia?

I can't really answer 1. or 2. However, Canadian and US students represent a very small percentage of the total number of medical students in Melbourne University MBBS at the moment. In my cohort there were 4 students from North America. I'm not sure whether these numbers will change with the new MBBS course in 2011.

3. Hard to determine - the specialties in high demand seem to change on a weekly basis... That said, there have been sustained shortages in the number of GPs and rural doctors in recent years.

Your questions have actually been answered before in this forum. I'd suggest a search to see what you can dig up.

does Umelb have grad entry medicine and how different is it to undergrad medicine?

For someone who has received an MD degree from a US medical school, is it possible to do the internship/residency in Australia? If so, what is the procedure, protocol, etc.? Thanks!

say if i want to do post grad medicine at Melbourne uni, do they give preference to certain bachelor degrees?

if i get PR can i use HECS?

i believe HECS is only for undergraduate degrees :)
for postgrad, u can get FEE-HELP from the government (which, is a loan that u will pay back thru the tax system) but its a lot more expensive than HECS
HECS and FEE-HELP are only for PRs and citizens

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi there, I can't speak for Australia but can give you an idea from New Zealand perspective. I am a Canadian (from Mississauga, ON) studying Medicine at University of Auckland as a grad student, meaning that I was allowed to start from year 2 of a 6-year program.
1. There are 4 North American students in my class (used to be 6, but 2 withdrew after getting accepted in US because of lower tution); I am the only Canadian in my cohort. There a a couple of Canucks in the years above but really just a handful. Our class this year was approx. 150, with a 30 international students, most of which are from Malaysia.
2. Most of the NA students are staying here, some have managed to get their residencies, a few have married and settled down. It's a beautiful country to settle down in, the only issue is paying off your international debt and getting into specialty program ASAP. Here the salaries for Junior doctors may not be as competitive as in OZ or say in Ireland, plus you ned to do 1,5 year as a House Surgeon (mostly paperwork and running errands for registrars) before applying to a specialty program.
3. Regarding specialties in demand, I agree with Melbourne student - it is GP and Rural GP.
Anyone is welcome to correct me :) Hope it helped!

i believe HECS is only for undergraduate degrees :)
for postgrad, u can get FEE-HELP from the government (which, is a loan that u will pay back thru the tax system) but its a lot more expensive than HECS
HECS and FEE-HELP are only for PRs and citizens

You could also take a look at the available scholarships and bursaries:

Undergraduate - http://www.unimelb.edu.au/unisec/awards/medindex.html

Postgraduate - http://www.unimelb.edu.au/unisec/awards/Medicine-Graduate.html

or provided that you are an Australian citizen, you could consider a Military Scholarship.

hi there!!!
i have heard and read alot abt racism in Oz, can u please clairfy is there anty sort of racism for IMGs going there for residency.
I have read on some blogs that good fields like surgery and orth and much demanded fields are not given to IMG's and even the Aussies dont like when a foreign student gets much appreciation for his job and higher pay.
Even read that many foreigners are bring sent in rural areas when they are at the peak of success all this just because they dont like when a foreigner starts getting famous.
any ideas on this.
waiting.

Hi naturalgut.
I will be graduated from istanbul medical faculity this year and i want to make my residency in australia in surirgical branches.I checked lot's of the offiical sites about this subject and actually i couldnt satisfy becasue of it's being so confusing for me and my being aprentice about it.
May you tell me that is it possiple to make a specilisation as an OTC in australia and what should i do?
If you have a general idea and can help me i will be preciated

hi there!!!
i have heard and read alot abt racism in Oz, can u please clairfy is there anty sort of racism for IMGs going there for residency.
I have read on some blogs that good fields like surgery and orth and much demanded fields are not given to IMG's and even the Aussies dont like when a foreign student gets much appreciation for his job and higher pay.
Even read that many foreigners are bring sent in rural areas when they are at the peak of success all this just because they dont like when a foreigner starts getting famous.
any ideas on this.
waiting.

I've got a few years to go yet before residency, so I don't have any knowledge of the system regarding applications etc., especially for IMGs (not being one myself). That said, the IMGs that I know who have gone through residency in Australia haven't had any problems.

Hi naturalgut.
I will be graduated from istanbul medical faculity this year and i want to make my residency in australia in surirgical branches.I checked lot's of the offiical sites about this subject and actually i couldnt satisfy becasue of it's being so confusing for me and my being aprentice about it.
May you tell me that is it possiple to make a specilisation as an OTC in australia and what should i do?
If you have a general idea and can help me i will be preciated

No idea. However, if you are an IMG and intend to practice Medicine in Australia, you will need to obtain an AMC (Australian Medical Council) certificate:

http://www.amc.org.au/index.php/img

Hey naturalgut,
Not sure if its my account (new) but i just checked my inbox and i haven't received a reply - can you check out on your end,
With thanks

I've pretty much read all I need to know for now about Melbourne's program. I was wondering though how much, if any, interaction you get to experience with other medical students on a daily or weekly basis. Is there a sort of sense of community and belonging? Are any larger social events organized for students to get to know one another?

I'm curious since I may very well end up going to Melbourne in the near future and am trying imagine what life may be like.

Final question - the local, Australian students, do they mostly live near the medical school or do they commute from more distant parts of the city?

Thank you, naturalgut.

Last edited:
I've pretty much read all I need to know for now about Melbourne's program. I was wondering though how much, if any, interaction you get to experience with other medical students on a daily or weekly basis. Is there a sort of sense of community and belonging? Are any larger social events organized for students to get to know one another?

I'm curious since I may very well end up going to Melbourne in the near future and am trying imagine what life may be like.

Final question - the local, Australian students, do they mostly live near the medical school or do they commute from more distant parts of the city?

Thank you, naturalgut.

Yes, you get a lot of interaction with other medical students on a daily basis - same lectures, practicals, hospital attachments. The MSS (Medical students society) always has things going on as well. They account for most of the large social events among the Med students.

It tapers off once you're out of the pre-clinical years though, as the cohort is split between the different clinical schools and there are no more University lectures, teaching instead being conducted in small tute groups within the teaching hospitals.

The local students are spread out as you'd expect - some in the suburbs, some in the city.

hi
i m riaz final year medical student india. brother i wud like to kno if i clear amc exam am i allowed to work der in australia/newzealand.. can i opt for higher studies like post graduation der in & if yes wat is da process and how much do i have to pay for pg course... do any of those universities provide stipend to international medical graduates while persuing speciatily courses? i wud b thankful to you if reply to my queries

hi
i m riaz final year medical student india. brother i wud like to kno if i clear amc exam am i allowed to work der in australia/newzealand.. can i opt for higher studies like post graduation der in & if yes wat is da process and how much do i have to pay for pg course... do any of those universities provide stipend to international medical graduates while persuing speciatily courses? i wud b thankful to you if reply to my queries

I could reply, but the answers would probably be wrong. Your best bet would be to contact the AMC with your questions.

http://www.amc.org.au/index.php/cl

Hi,

Thanks for your previous helpful posts!

I am applying for grad entry medicine. It's unfortunate MelU is not accepting students this year... I have to select between Flinders Uni or Monash uni because that's the only grad-entry australian universities recognized in my home country.

Is flinders or Monash good? Are they reputable in Australia? We seldom (almost never) hear about their medical program in SG or Indonesia. Which one is usually better, Flinders or Monash medical program?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for your previous helpful posts!

I am applying for grad entry medicine. It's unfortunate MelU is not accepting students this year... I have to select between Flinders Uni or Monash uni because that's the only grad-entry australian universities recognized in my home country.

Is flinders or Monash good? Are they reputable in Australia? We seldom (almost never) hear about their medical program in SG or Indonesia. Which one is usually better, Flinders or Monash medical program?

Thanks!

Depends on whether you talk to a graduate from Flinders or Monash. Spending 4 or 5 years at a particular medical school is usually enough for most students to start trumpeting the virtues of their particular medical school to anyone who will listen.

Yes, both of them are reputable in Australia. Can't really say which is better; the people I've talked to who have graduated from or currently are in the medical courses Monash and Flinders enjoyed their time there.

The general opinion seems to be that all of the medical schools are around the same high standard, apart from the relatively new courses (i.e at Deakin and to a lesser extent JCU) whose graduates the medical profession has not yet really had a feel of.

Hey, can U pls give me a break down of the 2.5 yrs after u complete honors in med sci ie. the clinical yrs? im particularly interested in the format of assessment for each rotation & then all about the exams @ the end of each year (i.e. 4, 5 & 6). Thank U a lot.

Hi there, I can't speak for Australia but can give you an idea from New Zealand perspective. I am a Canadian (from Mississauga, ON) studying Medicine at University of Auckland as a grad student, meaning that I was allowed to start from year 2 of a 6-year program.
1. There are 4 North American students in my class (used to be 6, but 2 withdrew after getting accepted in US because of lower tution); I am the only Canadian in my cohort. There a a couple of Canucks in the years above but really just a handful. Our class this year was approx. 150, with a 30 international students, most of which are from Malaysia.
2. Most of the NA students are staying here, some have managed to get their residencies, a few have married and settled down. It's a beautiful country to settle down in, the only issue is paying off your international debt and getting into specialty program ASAP. Here the salaries for Junior doctors may not be as competitive as in OZ or say in Ireland, plus you ned to do 1,5 year as a House Surgeon (mostly paperwork and running errands for registrars) before applying to a specialty program.
3. Regarding specialties in demand, I agree with Melbourne student - it is GP and Rural GP.
Anyone is welcome to correct me :) Hope it helped!
I am finishing a BioMedSci at Otago, and i will be applying to Auckland and Australia. What kind of GPA is in the acceptable range for Auckland? I have heard the interviews are pretty hard is this true? Oh ya i am a NZ citizen.

I am particularly interested in the assessment for Melbourne Uni clinical yrs... I noticed that I didn't add that in! Cheers :D

Hi -

I read that the University of Melbourne starting next year (2010~2011) they will change from MBBS to MD. I'm an international student from National Taiwan University graduating next year to apply for the 2010~2011 cycle. For the MD program applications, I was wondering if you could answer the following questions, as their website is still a bit unclear on many things:

1. University of Melbourne DOES accept students from universities outside of Australia, right?

2. I've heard that the pre-reqs required for application are anatomy, physiology, etc. But anatomy and physiology are only offered for medical students in my country and people outside the medical majors are not allowed to take the courses. And I'm sure quite a few international students have that problem. Is it possible for the pre-reqs to be waived or replaced on a case-by-case basis?

3. If I get accepted, but without a scholarship, is it possible to take a student loan in Australia or do you need Australian Citizenship? I have US citizenship, as I was born there, but I don't know about taking student loans for medical school in Australia. Can you recommend some possible options?

4. And when do I start the applications?

Thanks

Hi -

I read that the University of Melbourne starting next year (2010~2011) they will change from MBBS to MD. I'm an international student from National Taiwan University graduating next year to apply for the 2010~2011 cycle. For the MD program applications, I was wondering if you could answer the following questions, as their website is still a bit unclear on many things:

1. University of Melbourne DOES accept students from universities outside of Australia, right?

2. I've heard that the pre-reqs required for application are anatomy, physiology, etc. But anatomy and physiology are only offered for medical students in my country and people outside the medical majors are not allowed to take the courses. And I'm sure quite a few international students have that problem. Is it possible for the pre-reqs to be waived or replaced on a case-by-case basis?

3. If I get accepted, but without a scholarship, is it possible to take a student loan in Australia or do you need Australian Citizenship? I have US citizenship, as I was born there, but I don't know about taking student loans for medical school in Australia. Can you recommend some possible options?

4. And when do I start the applications?

Thanks

1. unimelb does have an international quota for med students.

2. it is incredibly unlikely they would waive any of the prereq courses for anyone. they exist for a reason. the curriculum is meant to be a major change in medical education in australia in that it builds on previous studies. they will expect you to know these subjects from day one.

3. most aus med schools do not have any scholarships for international students. don expect to get one. getting student loans depends on your situation. do you mean from australian lenders? the banks here have very crappy terms for student loans (low limits, or very high interest rate, or you must repay the whole loan in a small number of years). the australian fed government has a student loan program but you must be an aus citizen to be eligible. you will not be able to get US federal loans for UniMelb as it is not approved to distribute them for med students (other degree students CAN access US fed loans but criteria for eligibility to disburse such loans for international med schools is much more stringent which the school must seek to meet).

4. applications are accepted beginning in May and close in June-July.

Let me just say this with the dental faculty at least. There's maybe 4-6 awards (not scholarships) worth about $150 each, for every year level (about 70) every year for the top mark in certain components of the course. That's it.

1. unimelb does have an international quota for med students.

2. it is incredibly unlikely they would waive any of the prereq courses for anyone. they exist for a reason. the curriculum is meant to be a major change in medical education in australia in that it builds on previous studies. they will expect you to know these subjects from day one.

3. most aus med schools do not have any scholarships for international students. don expect to get one. getting student loans depends on your situation. do you mean from australian lenders? the banks here have very crappy terms for student loans (low limits, or very high interest rate, or you must repay the whole loan in a small number of years). the australian fed government has a student loan program but you must be an aus citizen to be eligible. you will not be able to get US federal loans for UniMelb as it is not approved to distribute them for med students (other degree students CAN access US fed loans but criteria for eligibility to disburse such loans for international med schools is much more stringent which the school must seek to meet).

4. applications are accepted beginning in May and close in June-July.

Thanks for your reply! Most of it was quite helpful - Regarding some questions based on your answers:

1. So I can't waive any subjects. I'm a biochemistry major, so I have 8 credits of biochemistry - that's no problem. I've talked to my guidance teacher and he says he can waive me into anatomy and physiology in my last year. 4th year students can get into almost any class they want. So foreign courses are accepted, right? The new quotas are 330, 80 international students, and 250. I looked it up.

2. Er... So I can't take US federal loans for Melbourne (damn, that was like... my biggest hope). You have to have Australian citizenship for government student loans and bank loans suck. And they don't offer scholarships. Ugh... Well, what if I apply for citizenship and before I get it granted, I take bank loans? I suppose in every country, doctors have nice salaries AFTER residency. Bank loans... by interest rates... how high? I want to become a doctor no matter what it takes, so no tuition is going to stop me, even if I have to have high interest rates. And bank loans are available for non-citizens, right?

3. I hope I'm not being prejudice or mean, but is there heavy discrimination or a lot of hate against international students?

Thanks for your reply! Most of it was quite helpful - Regarding some questions based on your answers:

1. So I can't waive any subjects. I'm a biochemistry major, so I have 8 credits of biochemistry - that's no problem. I've talked to my guidance teacher and he says he can waive me into anatomy and physiology in my last year. 4th year students can get into almost any class they want. So foreign courses are accepted, right? The new quotas are 330, 80 international students, and 250. I looked it up.

2. Er... So I can't take US federal loans for Melbourne (damn, that was like... my biggest hope). You have to have Australian citizenship for government student loans and bank loans suck. And they don't offer scholarships. Ugh... Well, what if I apply for citizenship and before I get it granted, I take bank loans? I suppose in every country, doctors have nice salaries AFTER residency. Bank loans... by interest rates... how high? I want to become a doctor no matter what it takes, so no tuition is going to stop me, even if I have to have high interest rates. And bank loans are available for non-citizens, right?

3. I hope I'm not being prejudice or mean, but is there heavy discrimination or a lot of hate against international students?

Raigon, it is my guess that it would be impossible to get any prereqs waived but i dont work for unimelb. you should seek advice from the med school for a definitive answer. that goes for anything. they will accept courses taken overseas to meet the prereqs but it is on an individual basis. it would be wise to enquire with them to have them approved prior to enrolling.

they may have a very small number of scholarships available to international med students. again, enquire directly with the school.

ugh, you cannot just snap your fingers and gain citizenship. you must first be a permanent resident in Aus for 4 years before being eligible for citizenship. being a perm resident alone will drastically reduce the cost of education as it allows you to pay local fees and after 2 years you are eligble for social security payments (Austudy and rent assistance).

i cant quote the exact terms of all the different banks's loans. google it. look up a list of the largest banks in aus and then visit each's websites searching for loans. to get a loan from an aus bank you'll almost certainly have to be at least a permanent resident but again you should check with the different banks.

do you do realize that UniMelb is has one of the highest fees for international med students?

Raigon, it is my guess that it would be impossible to get any prereqs waived but i dont work for unimelb. you should seek advice from the med school for a definitive answer. that goes for anything. they will accept courses taken overseas to meet the prereqs but it is on an individual basis. it would be wise to enquire with them to have them approved prior to enrolling.

they may have a very small number of scholarships available to international med students. again, enquire directly with the school.

ugh, you cannot just snap your fingers and gain citizenship. you must first be a permanent resident in Aus for 4 years before being eligible for citizenship. being a perm resident alone will drastically reduce the cost of education as it allows you to pay local fees and after 2 years you are eligble for social security payments (Austudy and rent assistance).

i cant quote the exact terms of all the different banks's loans. google it. look up a list of the largest banks in aus and then visit each's websites searching for loans. to get a loan from an aus bank you'll almost certainly have to be at least a permanent resident but again you should check with the different banks.

hate against internationals? hmm. this is a hard question. i'd say the general sense would be no, but i'm not currently an intl student. i've been an intl student in adelaide however i'm white from N. America so i dont think it would be the same. there have been some racial tensions in melbourne with intl students from india but what provoked it is unsure. there are loads of intl students in Aus from Asia. though. i dont think it is something that you should worry about. but that is just my opinion.

do you do realize that UniMelb is has one of the highest fees for international med students?

hate against internationals? hmm. this is a hard question. i'd say the general sense would be no, but i'm not currently an intl student. i've been an intl student in adelaide however i'm white from N. America so i dont think it would be the same. there have been some racial tensions in melbourne with intl students from india but what provoked it is unsure. there are loads of intl students in Aus from Asia. though. i dont think it is something that you should worry about. but that is just my opinion.

Is it just me or did you just post 3 times? That happened to me before as well. Server problems. Ugh...

By waiving... I'm meant for my school. As in, my guidance teacher will talk to our medical school teachers to allow me to attend one semester of their anatomy and physiology class. I'm not eligible for medical school in Taiwan because I did not complete my education there, which kind of sucks, because Taiwan's medical schools are actually really good.

The schools does have scholarships for international students. I've checked, but you have to ask for it and you have to have insanely high qualifications. I think I'll apply for permanent residence instead. Heck I may even get a citizenship if I like it there. That'll make 3 - USA, Taiwan, and Australia. (Should I go for Switzerland next?) Too bad that most US meds won't allow me in with foreign credits (with the exception of Pittsburgh, NYU, Connecticut, Albany, and Temple, but they say they may consider you only on a case-by-case basis), and Australia is mad high in expenses. But I can't complain.

If I don't make it to one of the more internationally friendly schools in America, I'll go for melbourne, sydney, and queenslands, but hopefully melbourne. I don't want to spend 7 years getting an MBBS. That's why I'm more interested in Melbourne's 4 year program. And I think 4 years of MD versus 7 years of MBBS will cut costs, even if they're slightly higher than most per year. And the fact that it may be my last hope of being a doctor. I won't trash that dream. Because it's not that I'm not academically unqualified, it's the matter of accepting my foreign degree. That's my headache currently. And well... some australian med schools do accept them. That's why I may put my hopes there.

Is it just me or did you just post 3 times? That happened to me before as well. Server problems. Ugh...

i don't know why my post came up 3 times.

Too bad that most US meds won't allow me in with foreign credits (with the exception of Pittsburgh, NYU, Connecticut, Albany, and Temple, but they say they may consider you only on a case-by-case basis), and Australia is mad high in expenses. But I can't complain.

you may want to look deeper into that. from my knowledge there are no US med schools which will accept prereqs from outside N. America. 2 major factors in selecting med students in the US is GPA, the overall GPA and Science GPA, and they will also weight heavily what grades you received in you prereqs. When applying through AMCAS, no grades are used for any coursework taken outside N. America unless they were completed through a program sponsored by a US university/college. thus you will have no gpa. when gpa is such a huge factor in admissions, why would they select you for interview? i dont care if your MCAT is super high.

also, i have heard of some med schools being particularly friendly to internationals, but that doesnt still would not normally mean you could get accepted with prereqs completed outside the US. most schools will require all specified prereqs be completed in the US. other schools may require you o have completed at east one year at a US uni, but it is still in one's best interest that all prereqs are completed in the US if they want to get an acceptance. i know an international applicant that earned both a bachelors and masters in 4 years at a US private uni (all bachelors in the US are 4 years) and had a rec letter from a big name harvard researcher. they got an interview at albany, einstein, and others, but got no acceptances. they ended having to go to the UK for med school. you may want to consider that as an option too.

If I don't make it to one of the more internationally friendly schools in America, I'll go for melbourne, sydney, and queenslands, but hopefully melbourne. I don't want to spend 7 years getting an MBBS. That's why I'm more interested in Melbourne's 4 year program. And I think 4 years of MD versus 7 years of MBBS will cut costs, even if they're slightly higher than most per year. And the fact that it may be my last hope of being a doctor. I won't trash that dream. Because it's not that I'm not academically unqualified, it's the matter of accepting my foreign degree. That's my headache currently. And well... some australian med schools do accept them. That's why I may put my hopes there.

there are no 7 years MBBS courses in Austraia. there are 5 and 6 year MBBS courses for high school leavers and 4 year courses that require a previous degree (with one 4.6 year program for grads). over half of all medicine places in australia now require a previous degree, including the courses at Sydney and Queensland, in addition to Melbourne. for that reason, your reason for prefereing UniMelb over USyd or UQ are based in inaccuracies.

you may want to look deeper into that. from my knowledge there are no US med schools which will accept prereqs from outside N. America. 2 major factors in selecting med students in the US is GPA, the overall GPA and Science GPA, and they will also weight heavily what grades you received in you prereqs. When applying through AMCAS, no grades are used for any coursework taken outside N. America unless they were completed through a program sponsored by a US university/college. thus you will have no gpa. when gpa is such a huge factor in admissions, why would they select you for interview? i dont care if your MCAT is super high.

The University of Connecticut has accepted people from undergraduate studies outside the United States. They require you to personally submit a copy of transcript by mail and some additional information, but that's it. There has been people who have solely graduated from universities outside the United States. I emailed Keit Sanfords. Yeah they were like me. One in 2006 came from National Taiwan University, was born and lived in Taiwan all the way until they were accepted into Uconn. A few came from China.

Albany university, NYU, Temple had cases like that, it's just that if you had coursework outside the United States, you have to submit a transcript to them. Of course, they say the chance is low, which is why I'm considering australia, but not impossible for there have been cases. If not... then you've heard of Georgetown, right? They're notorious for accepting students with foreign coursework. But like I said, the chances are very low, which is why i'm considering Australia.

also, i have heard of some med schools being particularly friendly to internationals, but that doesnt still would not normally mean you could get accepted with prereqs completed outside the US. most schools will require all specified prereqs be completed in the US. other schools may require you o have completed at east one year at a US uni, but it is still in one's best interest that all prereqs are completed in the US if they want to get an acceptance. i know an international applicant that earned both a bachelors and masters in 4 years at a US private uni (all bachelors in the US are 4 years) and had a rec letter from a big name harvard researcher. they got an interview at albany, einstein, and others, but got no acceptances. they ended having to go to the UK for med school. you may want to consider that as an option too.

How do I apply to the UK? I remember that it's a lengthy process and you have to take a specific test. I took the MCAT already and it's tiring, I'm not sure I want to take another one, unless the UK accepts MCAT scores, I'm sticking with Australia. But then again, I don't know much about the UK, only that one of the fortune tellers told me I have the best chance of going to med school in the UK.

there are no 7 years MBBS courses in Austraia. there are 5 and 6 year MBBS courses for high school leavers and 4 year courses that require a previous degree (with one 4.6 year program for grads). over half of all medicine places in australia now require a previous degree, including the courses at Sydney and Queensland, in addition to Melbourne. for that reason, your reason for prefereing UniMelb over USyd or UQ are based in inaccuracies.

Well if MBBS is what I've heard, that it's an MD in the United States if you take the USMLE, then I'll go for it. The reason for studying University of Melbourne is because they say UniMelb is the best school for medicine. Plus they have that cool 4 year MD thing. Then I'm considering Sydney and Queensland, even if it's MBBS. And also, you can submit the application directly to UniMelb's international office instead of applying online through ACER, which you may know, only allows two schools for application for international students. And those two I'm going for Queensland and Sydney. If not for those two limits, I'd apply to every school and see which accepts me.

So basically, I'm applying to the US right now. If that doesn't work out, next year early May, I'm going for two things simultaneously: Post Bacc in the United States and application for Australia med schools. If I don't make it to either (though not making it to a Post bacc is unlikely), I'm still moving back to the United States. That would be when I may consider, as you say, England or DO. IF I still don't make it by 2012, I'm going for another career, possibly biostatistics or medical biotechnology.

there are no 7 years MBBS courses in Austraia. there are 5 and 6 year MBBS courses for high school leavers and 4 year courses that require a previous degree (with one 4.6 year program for grads).

Actually Sydney uni has a few 7 year combined degree programs: (BA/MBBS, BSc/MBBS, BMus/MBBS) for HS leavers.

Last edited:
they say UniMelb is the best school for medicine. Plus they have that cool 4 year MD thing. Then I'm considering Sydney and Queensland, even if it's MBBS. .

AUS-MBBS = US-MD = UK-MBChB = Canada-MDCM

It's all the same thing mate. They are all equal med degrees. Yes, if you have a med degree from Aus or UK you can call yourself "MD" in the states and if you have a US-MD you can call yourself MBBS in Aus (cause again it's all the same thing). The only thing that matters is that you hold an active medical license in the country in which you're practicing.

AUS-MBBS = US-MD = UK-MBChB = Canada-MDCM

It's all the same thing mate. They are all equal med degrees. Yes, if you have a med degree from Aus or UK you can call yourself "MD" in the states and if you have a US-MD you can call yourself MBBS in Aus (cause again it's all the same thing). The only thing that matters is that you hold an active medical license in the country in which you're practicing.

Yeah - I understand. Now... how do international students apply to england?

Actually Sydney uni has a few 7 year combined degree programs: (BA/MBBS, BSc/MBBS, BMus/MBBS) for HS leavers.

come on man. you know these are not undergrad entry courses nor are they 7 year MBBS courses. they are 7 year combined degree courses which allow early admission to the grad entry MBBS course. you must first complete the bachelor degree BEFORE commencing the MBBS, ie. they still require a prior undergrad degree and thus are strictly grad entry.

How do I apply to the UK? I remember that it's a lengthy process and you have to take a specific test. I took the MCAT already and it's tiring, I'm not sure I want to take another one, unless the UK accepts MCAT scores, I'm sticking with Australia. But then again, I don't know much about the UK, only that one of the fortune tellers told me I have the best chance of going to med school in the UK.

you'll have to look into that yourself mate. google a list of UK and irish grad entry med schools. there are plenty! then go to the respective med schools website. i think you will likely just apply directly to the uni rather than through a central agency like in the US or Aus. my friend that was an intl applicnant to US med schools with US degrees and got interviews but no admittances got into Warwick in the UK and is studying there now. many uk/irish schools require the aussie GAMSAT while others require the UKCAT, which is more like the aussie UMAT, ie. an aptitude test rather than testing much specific knowledge (Warwick requires the UKCAT).

So basically, I'm applying to the US right now. If that doesn't work out, next year early May, I'm going for two things simultaneously: Post Bacc in the United States and application for Australia med schools. If I don't make it to either (though not making it to a Post bacc is unlikely), I'm still moving back to the United States. That would be when I may consider, as you say, England or DO. IF I still don't make it by 2012, I'm going for another career, possibly biostatistics or medical biotechnology.

so you are going to pursue aus med schools only if you dont get into a US postbac program? what exactly do you intend to get out of the us postbac programs? get US prereq credits? the Harvard extension school has open admissions, most its classes are offered at night so you can work during the day, and its tuition fees are very competitive. if you want to enter the formal post bac program youll have to submit some type of application (i think only after you have finished so many classes), but i wouldnt sweat it at all. you dont even need a 'formal' post bac program; you can just take the classes. that is what i did. i took classes at a state school that didnt even have a postbac program but i took the classes and got all a's; that is all that matters.

now if you intend to apply to aus and us med schools simultaneously, there are inherent problems. because of the differing timelines involved for them, you would potentially have to deal with what to do should you get accepted to an aussie school for most US admissions offers wont even come out until the aus schools have already started class. because of this there is no point in applying o both lest you know you would take the aus school should you are offered it and either give up your chance at studying in the US or you are willing to drop out of the aus school to attend a US school should you get admitted after starting in Aus.

come on man. you know these are not undergrad entry courses nor are they 7 year MBBS courses. they are 7 year combined degree courses which allow early admission to the grad entry MBBS course. you must first complete the bachelor degree BEFORE commencing the MBBS, ie. they still require a prior undergrad degree and thus are strictly grad entry.

Yeah, but if you pass all you're requirements you are Guaranteed a spot in the MBBS class. .. so more or less its a straight path. (I never said it was a 7-year MBBS.. I said it was a combined degree course. They have some 7-year combined med courses like that in the states too I believe).

you'll have to look into that yourself mate. google a list of UK and irish grad entry med schools. there are plenty! then go to the respective med schools website. i think you will likely just apply directly to the uni rather than through a central agency like in the US or Aus. my friend that was an intl applicnant to US med schools with US degrees and got interviews but no admittances got into Warwick in the UK and is studying there now. many uk/irish schools require the aussie GAMSAT while others require the UKCAT, which is more like the aussie UMAT, ie. an aptitude test rather than testing much specific knowledge (Warwick requires the UKCAT).

so you are going to pursue aus med schools only if you dont get into a US postbac program? what exactly do you intend to get out of the us postbac programs? get US prereq credits? the Harvard extension school has open admissions, most its classes are offered at night so you can work during the day, and its tuition fees are very competitive. if you want to enter the formal post bac program youll have to submit some type of application (i think only after you have finished so many classes), but i wouldnt sweat it at all. you dont even need a 'formal' post bac program; you can just take the classes. that is what i did. i took classes at a state school that didnt even have a postbac program but i took the classes and got all a's; that is all that matters.

now if you intend to apply to aus and us med schools simultaneously, there are inherent problems. because of the differing timelines involved for them, you would potentially have to deal with what to do should you get accepted to an aussie school for most US admissions offers wont even come out until the aus schools have already started class. because of this there is no point in applying o both lest you know you would take the aus school should you are offered it and either give up your chance at studying in the US or you are willing to drop out of the aus school to attend a US school should you get admitted after starting in Aus.

If you are really interested in working in the US, you should try the DO route instead, logistically your life will be a lot easier. If you want to work in Australia, definitely go to an Australian school because it is becoming extremely hard for foreign doctors, including those from the US, to work in Australia. I don't think British physicians have much of an issue since many work in Oz.