Feb 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Why? I can't seem to get over 10's on the bio section.
I've been taking TBR CBT's and I've been missing 10-17 questions every time, it's really depressing.
My content review is complete, although that's not to say that I know everything.

What are your tips for the bio section? And how can I improve?

I'm scheduled to take the exam on the 23rd of Jan.

N. Marin

Sleepless
Dec 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Now is it mostly bio giving you a hard time or ochem? For bio there can be a lot of small things you overlook so constant exposure, even doing individual practice questions from stuff like the EK question books helps a lot.

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Probably because Bio section is more experimental based on the MCAT compared to your university bio exams. And I agree with N. Marin it could be orgo.

May 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been taking TBR CBT's and I've been missing 10-17 questions every time, it's really depressing.
My content review is complete, although that's not to say that I know everything.

Yeah I feel the same way. In terms of content I am fine (or maybe this is where I am wrong) but the way I approach the passage is wrong and I end up with 9's and 10's. I don't think I have ever hit an 11.

Dec 10, 2013
Both of my mcats were genetics and experimental heavy. What I can't stand, as I need time to think and logically trace is (a -> b -> c -> d or e...etc etc) where d and e may inhibit a/b/c and e may do something else. Generally, it seems relevant data will have similar names, and by the end of the passage-it's all kind of WTF did I just read.

I found that if I spent a solid 6-8 minutes on each passage, my score would increase from a 8/9 to a 12/13 so I had the knowledge, but my required speed for each passage was not quick enough (caveat-of test was infinite time-you should be aiming for a higher median score).

All in all-BIO required me to focus on main picture, apply what I knew to the questions and relate to each passage. Tough-bit once you master the BIO section the way you should, you will be good to go.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
It's not unusual for a Bio major to do less-than-stellar in the BS section. TBR and the real exam take it up a notch in terms of critical thinking and experimental passages that that section.

Nov 21, 2012
Status
Bio on the MCAT is all critical thinking. I'm very weak in bio knowledge wise, but I consistently score 12+ on BS (math major). Just do more practice and get used to thinking critically. Memorization doesn't help very much for the MCAT.

Reactions: orangeman25

csx

May 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Questions orgo section count less/more/equal to the bio questions in the BS section?
Someone said since so many people get orgo questions wrong, they count more if you get them right or something.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Both of my mcats were genetics and experimental heavy. What I can't stand, as I need time to think and logically trace is (a -> b -> c -> d or e...etc etc) where d and e may inhibit a/b/c and e may do something else. Generally, it seems relevant data will have similar names, and by the end of the passage-it's all kind of WTF did I just read.

I found that if I spent a solid 6-8 minutes on each passage, my score would increase from a 8/9 to a 12/13 so I had the knowledge, but my required speed for each passage was not quick enough (caveat-of test was infinite time-you should be aiming for a higher median score).

All in all-BIO required me to focus on main picture, apply what I knew to the questions and relate to each passage. Tough-bit once you master the BIO section the way you should, you will be good to go.
Knowing the BS content will probably get you 8-9 in that sections because these experimental passages require you to trace A-->B-->C-->D with a lot of caveats... I knew the content inside out for that section and still ended up with a 9.

Sep 7, 2013
somewhere down south
Status
Pre-Medical
Anything different about the scoring of the orgo questions??
Every question gives you the same amount of points - every question is weighted equally. Generally speaking, the BS section is more bio heavy so it may seem that orgo questions have more "bang to their buck", but statistically it's all even

Dec 10, 2013
Knowing the BS content will probably get you 8-9 in that sections because these experimental passages require you to trace A-->B-->C-->D with a lot of caveats... I knew the content inside out for that section and still ended up with a 9.
I also got a 9-which sucked because approaching the end of my review, BIO was a guaranteed 10+ and I focused strongly on my weaknesses in Orgo to ensure I would finish the exam with confidence. I became so comfortable with mcat Orgo, I went to those passages first instead of last and feel that I did well, but I dropped the ball in 2 BIO passages I could just not follow.

I can't know for sure where I damaged my score, but I imagine I tanked both of those passages. I lost my confidence-I didn't make excuses-but I was genuinely angry that I could not understand those two passages. I imagined the guy next to me, reading the words while nodding his head up and down as if the concepts were simple to comprehend. I thought to myself-all of this studying, for what?! 12 to 13 questions that could decide my fate...I walked away from that mcat angry, perplexed, indifferent.

I knew before going into the exam, I needed to step away from the passage and think critically-it's hard to do, especially when you feel like you are in the middle of a war. My advice to anyone, confidence and clarity first-not for the mcat but in general. The content review will take care of itself, but applying content quickly takes confidence and clear thinking.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I also got a 9-which sucked because approaching the end of my review, BIO was a guaranteed 10+ and I focused strongly on my weaknesses in Orgo to ensure I would finish the exam with confidence. I became so comfortable with mcat Orgo, I went to those passages first instead of last and feel that I did well, but I dropped the ball in 2 BIO passages I could just not follow.

I can't know for sure where I damaged my score, but I imagine I tanked both of those passages. I lost my confidence-I didn't make excuses-but I was genuinely angry that I could not understand those two passages. I imagined the guy next to me, reading the words while nodding his head up and down as if the concepts were simple to comprehend. I thought to myself-all of this studying, for what?! 12 to 13 questions that could decide my fate...I walked away from that mcat angry, perplexed, indifferent.

I knew before going into the exam, I needed to step away from the passage and think critically-it's hard to do, especially when you feel like you are in the middle of a war. My advice to anyone, confidence and clarity first-not for the mcat but in general. The content review will take care of itself, but applying content quickly takes confidence and clear thinking.
I think we had similar experience. I went to the test knowing organic pretty well. I remember there were about 12-13 organic questions and I was only unsure about 2 questions. There were two bio passages and I was like WTF I just read here. I read these bio passages twice and I could make sense of them. Coming out of the test, I knew my highest score in BS can only be a 10.

Last edited:

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
A lot of people major in bio because they feel more comfortable memorizing rather than thinking critically, so they do poorly on the BS. You probably fit into this category. Focus on critical thinking over memorization.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I went from a 6 on my first MCAT to an 11 on my second in BS. The mindset that I had the second time was to treat BS like another verbal section, meaning the answers to most of the questions can be found in the passage itself. A little bit of basic knowledge of the content is required, but I hardly did any bio content review and my score shot up 5 points. You need to do your own assessment of what you are getting wrong. Are they mostly bio or o-chem? are they dumb mistakes or would you miss that question every time? Are they content things you should know, or are they a failure to extract the correct info from the passage? Ask yourself these questions with every question on the test as you review.