I'm a bit confused... Please help me out for a minute. :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgainstOdds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!

I realize that when you apply to med school you are at the end of your junior year in undergrad school... Here's my issue...

I have a crappy GPA from previous years of messing around and not know what I wanted to do with my life--you know the drill... But I can bring it up a decent amount if I do well in the rest of my classes (which is two years and a half maybe worth of classes)... My concern is that you apply for med school at the end of your junior year--sooo... my GPA won't be where I want it yet. Will they be basing everything off of my GPA at THAT point? Or what?

Maybe I should just wait till I graduate to even apply to med school? I don't know what to do. I'm going to talk to an advisor next week about it, but I wanted to hear what you all had to say about it as well!

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi again everyone!

I realize that when you apply to med school you are at the end of your junior year in undergrad school... Here's my issue...

I have a crappy GPA from previous years of messing around and not know what I wanted to do with my life--you know the drill... But I can bring it up a decent amount if I do well in the rest of my classes (which is two years and a half maybe worth of classes)... My concern is that you apply for med school at the end of your junior year--sooo... my GPA won't be where I want it yet. Will they be basing everything off of my GPA at THAT point? Or what?

Maybe I should just wait till I graduate to even apply to med school? I don't know what to do. I'm going to talk to an advisor next week about it, but I wanted to hear what you all had to say about it as well!

Thanks again.

Yeah, they are basically looking at the GPA at the end of the jr yr. You can update the schools with your GPA after each semester if you wanted.

Personally, I would wait an extra year and boost that GPA even more and have a better showing. This is a marathon and not a sprint.....

i find that i do not really knw what advice to give to ppl with low stats. i can only offer advice to ppl with good stats or international students :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people wait until after their fourth, or even fifth year before they apply for the sake of GPA repair. The "traditional" time to apply might be after junior year, but you won't be alone if you wait until your application is the best it can be. People in the 30s, 40s, and older are getting into med school too. Quality of application is way more important than rushing to the wire ill-prepared. The GPA you will be judged by is based on the transcripts you send in at the time you submit your application. This will include all baccalaureate and postbac work you have completed. This means if you take more undergrad classes after you graduate, it will continue to raise your GPA until you apply.

i find that i do not really knw what advice to give to ppl with low stats. i can only offer advice to ppl with good stats or international students :(

must not be a good people person then.......all i ever read in your posts is an arrogant attitude. you should consider stop posting if all you can share with others are your apparently lofty MCAT scores and degrading tone.

edit: i mean really, if you have nothing constructive to type/say/provide, then why type anything? your comment did nothing for anyone but perhaps inflate your ego.

Last edited:
^ i am sorry to have twinged your little nerve.

but i do think i am very helpful on WAMC when I do post.

i hate it when little kids like you have an inferiority complex and go around screaming. that is why i removed my mdapps, because little kids like to judge.

i feel disappointed that i cannot help more on WAMC than i already am doing, and that is what the previous post is getting about.
because of my lack of knowledge with the application process other than being an international applicant, i have found that for some time, i have been unable to offer advice on the boards bceause there have been no mroe international applicants :(

but you may continue to judge by all means :)

Just read more.....or learn like us poor folks with medicore stats...:laugh:

yea ive been reading the threads. but still, i dont feel like i can give valuable advice because i havent really gone thru the process of applying in that sense.

so i can only see u and stratego give out advice:( and wait for international students which i can jump on and helppp! :laugh:

yea ive been reading the threads. but still, i dont feel like i can give valuable advice because i havent really gone thru the process of applying in that sense.

so i can only see u and stratego give out advice:( and wait for international students which i can jump on and helppp! :laugh:

We all serve our purpose here!! :laugh:

but i do apologize do jturkel if my comment was in anyway offensive. =(

Hey, bannie, props to anyone who works hard enough to get great stats...just no need to make OP feel like s/he's got no chance, eh? ;)

OP, I second the recommendation to take a gap year so that you can maximize your GPA before applying. I think a gap year could be helpful anyway, just in terms of life and stress and such. Don't be afraid to stay in school for an extra semester if you really need the GPA boost. Take it slow, keep a good GPA, get some clinical experience, do some shadowing, study hard for the MCATs, etc. A mediocre GPA for the first two years won't kill your chances, but rushing the process may. Good luck!

yes OP, sorry my post was totally unrelated to your GPA. (i dont even know what ur gpa is) but when iread ur post and you felt u had a bad gpa, and i was stumped with what to say because all i could say was raise your gpa....
and thus i kinda expressed my own inadeptness at helping others in that category.

sorry! pls remember i am an international student and i need the gpa much more than you do, so i am quite sure u stand a good chance!