1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

i'm a compulsive worrier!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by smilez428, Jul 17, 2002.

1. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just wanted to get some feedback from people on my stats (I feel so annoying, but I need the feedback!)

Here goes: I've got a 3.78 cum. gpa (3.77 sci) and a 27M (10V, 8PS, 9BS) MCAT. (I'm disappointed in that score, but I'm applying. If I don't get in this year, I'll take 'em again in April I guess) I have 2 years of clinical experience in a pediatric practice.

As you may have seen in one of my other posts, UMDNJ is my top choice (location, location, tuition, tuition!)
    I'm not an URM, so my MCAT score scares me.
    Any feedback would be wonderful.
    Thanks for listening!

GOOD LUCK to all 2003ers!;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Take a year off and retake the MCAT in August.

(or next April if you must)

Don't apply with a 27.....if you know you can do better on the mcat...don't settle for that...

4. otter

otter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I hope you've turned in your AMCAS already. As long as you get your applications completed early and you've written solid essays and you've applied to a wide range of schools, I think you'll get at least a few interviews.

Your MCAT scores are not bad at all. They're pretty well balanced. In PS, you picked a good section to do poorly in, I think. Don't worry too much about your MCAT. 10-8-9 is not as bad as you think. Plenty of people have gotten in with 27 and 28 from this board. :)

5. Ripley

Ripley Dr. Wannabe
    7+ Year Member

I believe Dra Foxy got 3 acceptances AND she applied pretty late. she had a 27? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The M is what I might be concerned about, though I don't know if schools really look at that.

Regardless, the rest of your app looks solid, I would certainly send it on in.

6. daisygirl

daisygirl woof
    15+ Year Member

I would take my chances and apply. My MCAT score was a 27Q, and I applied to 13 schools, only finished secondaries for 12 of them, and I received 4 interviews and 3 acceptances (and I wasn't waitlisted at any of the schools that I did get into). Just make sure that you (1) apply to a wide range of schools, (2) write a superior personal statement, (3)write very good secondary essays if you are required to do so, (4) in the event that you get interviews, make sure you prepare for them so that you knock the socks off of your interviewer.

The NJ state schools don't require an essay for state residents, however, you could write a nice little letter to them which states why you would like to go to those schools- but this is up to you, some may say don't do it, others will say do it; I did it and I don't regret it, and I honestly believe that someone will read it if you make the initial numbers cutoff.

I think Megkudos (a fellow SDN'er) got into both NJ schools with a 27, and I also don't remember her stating that she is a URM.

7. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

This person has a HIGH GPA...they probably are a good test taker.

RETAKE THE TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally had a 27Q for my first MCAT and if I would have applied my first year I gaurentee I would not have been as lucky as I was this year (after retaking it and scoring better).

8. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Looks like there's plenty of reasons to do either, and also no shortage of anecdotal evidence that people with similar MCATs get (multiple) acceptances. I think the bottom line for you is that if you are willing to apply and have the time and resources to spare this year, you stand a good chance of getting in. I think you could get into UMDNJ with that MCAT and ECs. Otherwise, take the MCAT over, improve, and make your acceptance a surer thing. Good luck.

9. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was going thru one of those moments yesterday where it feels like the world is falling apart infront of you.... you know what I mean? Thanks for the reassurance!
    Here's the deal with the MCAT I thought I was super ready, and I even felt awesome after I took the test. I was shocked with the 27 and moreso with the M. I'm having the essay section rescored, because I really don't see how I got a 25th percentile score. I thought my essays were good :) Anyway, sorry to ramble, thanks for the encouragement!

:) :laugh: :D

10. giddygirl

giddygirl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Daisygirl. I had a 26 on my MCAT and applied to ten schools, had interviews at seven of them, only went to three of the interviews, got into those three and got my first pick. When I got my scores back my advisor told me I'd most likely have to retake the tests, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I think you should definitely go for it!

11. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your scores are on par with the NJ schools and you've got a better than average GPA, so I'd say you're competitive. Nothing is a sure thing, but its worth your applying this year.

Of course, if you retook the test and got over a 30, you might consider throwing in a top 25 or two, just for thr hell of it.

12. Your GPA is very strong and while your MCAT isn't where you want it to be, I don't think that it would keep you out of UMDNJ. If your first choice was Harvard or another school where the avg MCAT is 33+, then I could see a stronger case for waiting a year. In this case, it seems like a great idea to apply, see what happens, and plan to take the MCAT again if you need to reapply. You may very well get in on your first try. Good luck!

13. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

I'm sorry..but there is something missing in this equation here.

Either you are a nontraditional applicant with some super experiences, your GPA is stellar, you are a URM, or you wrote the best essays of your life.

I'm sorry: most people who have a 26 and are an "average" applicant WILL NOT have a 70 percent interview success rate and WILL NOT get into every school they choose to interview at.

Please fill in the gaps and rather than telling this person b/c their MCAT is one point higher they can do what you did.

14. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Well, why is the school you want your dream school? I used to think one school was perfect for me...then I interviewed there and I just didnt' click with it for some reason..oh well...so I withdrew.

Don't close any doors by saying "my mcat is good enough for that school" unless you are POSITIVE you want to go there (aka visiting and stuff)

How were you scoring on the practice tests? Over 30? Over 35?
    What sort of score were you expecting?

15. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member
    7+ Year Member

smilez,

are u my clone. I got the same MCAT breakdown as you except I got an O on the writing section. Also, I got a 3.9 (science and nonscience) and am a NJ resident, and also very interested in UMDNJ. I really am not sure of my chances either, but I am willing to give it a shot this year. By the way, are you interested in NJMS, or RWJ. Good luck.

PS. I think if I dont get in this year, I will try next April when the test is changing which could be good or bad.

16. charleb11

charleb11 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think that anyone should be discouraged from applying. We all know that adcoms are unpredictable people have gotten with crazy MCAT scores. I would say make sure that the rest of your application is as strong as it possibly can be, and go in with realistic hopes. Due to your GPA and other credentials you should hope to get an interview, and then you have to show them why they should take you, also get your application and secondaries in as soon as possible.

17. rainmkre

rainmkre Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

EXCELLENT!!:laugh:

18. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

someone asked how i was doing on the practice exams.
    I was getting over 30 on all of my practice tests. Funny thing is, my PS has always been my worst, VR always the best. I really came out of there thinking I got a score higher than 32.... i've never felt that good about something and had it come back way worse than i expected, ya know?

I know that UMDNJ & me click as far as location, I'm at RU right now, on the same campus. I've read a lot about RWJ and I like the looks of it. :) It's not necessarily my "dream" school (i love boston- but i know i don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into any boston area school) but I do like the fact that I would be in NJ- close to family and friends- and it's super cheap (as far as med schools go anyway).

Thanks for the support! :)

19. giddygirl

giddygirl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

scooby doo-
    my gpa is high (above a 3.9) but smilez's 3.78 is above average also. The two years experience in a pediatric practice is a huge asset. I'm not a URM or a non-trad applicant, but I think my interviews went very well. I can't tell her that she'll for sure get in but I think it's definitely worth a shot.

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

if the poster is female then the comparison can be made, otherwise, male and female applicants are looked @ differently.

21. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm most definitely female :)

22. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Hummm.... no one you say? What about a poor non-urm with a 23 MCAT and a 2.5 gpa... should we in courage him/her too?

Sometimes I think you people forget what applying to medical school costs. Doesn't the average person spend somewhere around $1500 to apply to medical school?

This person should retake... his/her gpa is really good and if only his/her MCAT were a little higher, he/she would have a great chance of having multiple acceptances. It's well worth the effort to retake. Even if he/she doesn't want to go to a top school... having a higher MCAT will help with getting scholarships and loans at his/her state school.

23. ezbreze

ezbreze New Member

Unless you are fortunate enough to be an URM, you chances are not good enough to waste your time with the tedious application process.

Let me share my experience. I have approx the same GPA and 8 points higher on the MCAT. My interviews all went well and my essays were written in english...

I got into one NJ school and was indefinately wait listed at the other. Not trying to descourage you, but the competition appears to have been fierce this year.

24. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

ezbreeze, if you really had and MCAT of 35 and a 3.78 GPA and only got into one school there must be something else wrong with you application

1) not enough or lousy ECs
    2) Bad LOR
    3) Did not apply to enough schools
    4) Bad interviewer
    5) Etc.
    I don't think that your scores had much to do with it.

25. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Look on the bright side...

At least you are not a compulsive chicken choker....

26. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hahaha!!! Nice one...:laugh: :laugh:

27. poloace

poloace Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ezbreze-
    how many schools did you apply to? how many interviews?

p

28. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

you shouldnt assume that being a URM allows you to "get away" with a low MCAT score.
    grow up - cuz I guarantee you're in for a big surprise if you keep that attitude up.
    :mad:

29. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i didn't assume that being a URM allows you to do anything. As I was reading other posts, I got the impression that a URM with my score had a better chance of getting in than me if we were put against each other. lighten up!

Besides that- I'm not too worried about getting in anymore....my application is pretty solid. And if I don't get in, I don't get in. I'll move on, life goes on. :)

30. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

:mad:
    yeah well, I've got my eye on you....
    just kidding - its all good :)